This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 28, 2019, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

EC 1500 prop adapter: how tight?

I know I tightened my prop adapter too tight because when I removed the nut I saw pieces of aluminum threads. The adapter threads were damaged beyond use. As an experiment I cut away the damaged threads and used the same nut on a thinner grey APC prop to see how tight I could get the nut without damaging the threads. I tightened the nut to finger tight and marked with a Sharpie pen the 12 o’clock positions of both the nut and threaded prop adapter. I then used a wrench to tighten 1/4 turn (3 o’clock). I proceeded to turn the nut to the 6 o’clock position. I then went to the 8 o’clock position and with a motor restraining tool tried to make the prop slip on the shaft. I could but it was difficult. I then removed the nut easily (not jammed) and inspected the threads and no damage was found. The black plastic 8 blade prop and the grey APC prop are similar but could have different compressibility so this test is only a guide.

I am waiting for larger 5/16 (5mm shaft, 8 mm prop bore) adapters from a non Eflite company to compare the gripping difference.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2019, 11:24 AM
VicT
Just an engineering issue but you really should use a washer under the nut that is the same diameter as the prop adaptor otherwise you risk simply crushing the prop hub.

Ideally both the prop adaptor and the washer should be close to the diameter of the prop hub.

Quick Reply