Aug 28, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

P-0 Chicken

Just getting this ready, It's is a Jeff Dawsen Sonic Chicken. Picco .05
Last edited by toad007; Aug 28, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2019, 06:00 PM
I have several of Jeff's models from 1/2A to fast versions. My chickens are Cyclon and Profi powered. Very impressive and fun to fly. He even cut me a kit which I have yet to assemble. However, the fast was also provided to me in kit form and it practically assembled itself. I fly one of his models the Lil Buzzard. That models has a considerably larger wingspan over the chicken which for me isn't a issue as it's a bit slower. My son however just loves the chicken and he has had dozens of matches with the one Jeff built for him . It didn't come out too good in one match. I had to rebuild the tail end but it's as good as new and has stood up to all the abuse we can give it. The Picco is fast and Jeff provided us with one to use in a contest. I was very impressed with it. What I didn't like was the need to open the prop hole larger than the shafts on the Profi and Cyclon limiting props just to that engine. No big deal though. I used it on a Yuvenko 1/2A and it was pretty darn quick. One thing I noted with my chicken was the need to limit the elevator to very little movement as it turns on itself fast. Good luck with your terrific looking wing. Ken
Aug 29, 2019, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
These Picco's I made new cranks for. These use the std TD spinner and 5-40 bolt setup so standard holes and no drilling props.. These are custom cranks.
Here is the thrd on them
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...051-P-Zero-fun
Aug 29, 2019, 09:55 PM
I enjoyed your thread, my father was a machinist and now that he's retired I miss that dearly. I couldn't wait to break stuff. It always came back better than new. 1/2A nut did mention the short beams and I encountered that myself. I was using mounts from Larry Driskill and I really had to do some shaving to get them to align with the lugs. I had purchased two P-Zero engines when they were under $40. I gave them away and now I regret it. I hope you get some fly time on that chicken. Ken
Sep 04, 2019, 02:33 AM
Nitro User
Mel have you put it up in the air yet?
Looks quite the business no doubt!!!
What prop do you have there link?

Yes the lugs are a pain but doable.
I have used 2mm bolts to good use
and hex head screws with them so far.
Sep 04, 2019, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Brad, Yes I have flown it. I am trying to get a few flights in every day now.
I use 2-56 hardware concerning mounting the engine. A Single 4-40 holds the engine on via the beam mounts. (Makes for quick engine swaps)
As far as a prop, I tried the 4.6x3, my favorite pylon prop. I was too un-comfy with it, too fast. So I have been using Grish 5-3's (tornado black)
still too fast but I can almost handle it.
Last edited by toad007; Sep 04, 2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Sep 04, 2019, 09:42 AM
Slightly out of control is just right!!!
Sep 07, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
here is another Dawson bird. this one I think is a Buzzard or maybe the 1/2a Prowler. anyway, this was setting it up, the thing is fast. Huge handfull.
Sep 13, 2019, 02:17 AM
Nitro User
Nice Mel, big bird I bet it floats on landings!

Quick Reply