Aug 28, 2019, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
Question

Apprentice rtf , throttle/motor does not activate

Ugh. Brand new plane, start up sequence followed, rudder/elevator/airleons all work, but no throttle. Only a annoying sqeual. I charged battery properly per instructions and confirmed with battery checker, trimmed down the throttle and lowered all the way before turning on. Any thoughts on the issue?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2019, 10:41 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
When you hear the annoying squeal , does it look like the prop is trying to move ?
Did you take off the prop & cowling to install the landing gear ( as per manual ) ?

Take off the prop & cowling , and then see if the motor/throttle will work . If it does , the prop/cowling was installed improperly and caused binding . If the motor/throttle doesn't work and makes the squeal noise , check the connections on the three wires going to the motor ..... one or more may have a poor connection .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 28, 2019 at 11:04 AM.
Aug 29, 2019, 01:21 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Let us know if you found/fixed the problem .
Aug 30, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Let us know if you found/fixed the problem .
No luck yet.. prop not binded, wires have good connection... Back to hobby shop to see what they can do.

Aug 30, 2019, 10:23 AM
AeroDan
As another Apprentice owner, please let us know what’s going on, OK.
Aug 30, 2019, 11:08 AM
As a new model the store where you bought it should replace it.
Off hand I'd suspect the ESC.
Aug 30, 2019, 11:55 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbass75
No luck yet.. prop not binded, wires have good connection... Back to hobby shop to see what they can do.

Did you test the motor/throttle with the prop and cowling off ?
Aug 30, 2019, 02:43 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
The preflight checklist didn't mention arming the motor/esc turning on the switch under the wing .... unless they don't do that anymore. But it usually would not squeal in that case. He also did not mention of he heard the 3 beeps when the battery was connected ... as the beeps come from the motor.
Sep 05, 2019, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Resolved: inconsistent battery connection. Perhaps the connectors will loosen up with use, but I have to exert lots of pressure to connect battery to ESC lead. As a result, sometimes I get the three beeps for motor, sometimes I don't. The battery lead from ESC is literally the exact length it needs to be to connect with battery. I like clean wiring but a little extra length on the lead would make connecting battery much easier. Thanks for tips!!

Sep 05, 2019, 11:53 AM
Took my Apprentice out this weekend .... even attempted a glider pull ... it wasn't pretty but that's another story.

So I connected my battery with switch off for radio gear. I can't say if the ESC armed or not, but I think it did. Had to wait for other traffic before we made the attempt, when ready I turned the switch on, the activation happened and went to takeoff .... no throttle. Well I have been there before and on the runway with help of glider pilot disconnected and reconnected battery, got the beeps, powered on radio and got to the not so pretty attempt to tow glider.

Maybe with a Power 25 and higher pitch prop it could do it, but that glider was too heavy for the stock 145 flight 5 year old Apprentice. I'll keep flying it as I have, T&G practice and getting newbies on the remote student box's sticks.
Sep 05, 2019, 11:54 AM
Glad you solved it. Get some flights in, this issue will probably happen again, as it did to me.

Quick Reply