Aug 27, 2019, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Oratex fabric vs Solartex

Since Solartex is out of production and not available any more (I do have a good stash of it) I was wondering about ďOratexĒ a hobby shop I know of has 3 rolls of I think 5 meter maybe 10 meter rolls, it says itís made in Germany. Anyone have experience with Oratex?
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 09:42 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
it’s made in Germany.
It's what Balsa USA stocks now to replace Solartex. There's a thread here on RCG comparing the two (the thread wanders a bit but there's info there): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ex-vs-Solartex
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Aug 28, 2019, 09:11 AM
I've used both. Almost can't even tell the difference. Very good stuff
Aug 29, 2019, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the link. I thought maybe the Oratex I saw was old stock but apparently not. I do have a stack of Solartex that should cover 3 to 4 future models if I do build more. FAA puts doubt on future builds.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Sep 10, 2019, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Thanks for the link. I thought maybe the Oratex I saw was old stock but apparently not. I do have a stack of Solartex that should cover 3 to 4 future models if I do build more. FAA puts doubt on future builds.
At the rate things are going you may have to take a test before you can build a model.
provide DNA sample
Thumb print and back ground check.
Plus a visit from the FBI to make sure you aren't planning anything devious.
Sep 12, 2019, 06:01 AM
Just used Oratex on my 1/3 scale DR.I. Itís great stuff to work with. I find it adheres to the airframe better than Solartex. Also think is adds more strength to the airframe as well. Great stuff.
Sep 12, 2019, 06:44 AM
The covering looks like it went on very well indeed. How much effort was it to get all three wings at the proper incidence? A friend of mine built one and had some effort in getting all three wings in proper incidence?
From what I've read is Oratex is actually lightweight covering for Ulralights and the company makes covering for the rest of the aviation community, available in different colors. The last time I checked, which was a few years ago, they had received approval from the Canadian version of the FAA for use on full size aircraft.
I could be wrong about the Oratex, they could be a different company altogether.
Sep 14, 2019, 10:36 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I could be wrong about the Oratex, they could be a different company altogether.
It's the same company. They make different weights of fabric for different applications. It is certified for full scale aircraft in Europe and Canada and STCed for specific applications in the US. The lighter weight fabric is good for aircraft up to 1323lb, the heavier is up to 13228lb.

The model Oratex doesn't need additional glue, the full-scale/ultralight versions require application of glue. From the specs I've seen it appears the model version may be slightly lighter than the lightweight version of Oratex (aka Oratex600), the model version is supposedly 90 g/m≤ (with the glue layer) and Oratex900 is 92-122 g/m≤

Covering full-scale airframes with Oratex:
Oratex Fabric, Better Aircraft Fabric by Oratex Aircraft Fabric, no painting required. (11 min 46 sec)

Sources:
https://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/oratex.html
https://www.betteraircraftfabric.com...questions.html
https://www.airtekhobbies.com/oratex.html
Oct 27, 2019, 09:13 PM
Evening everyone,

I was covering a Kaos with Solartex probably late last year. I ran out and set it aside with the wing not covered. Does anyone know if Oratex comes in a Cub yellow the same as Solartex? If not I'll just change to a contrasting color but it would be nice to find one more roll of Solartex in that color or something else that will do the job. Thanks.

Rick H.
Oct 29, 2019, 09:22 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308jockey
Does anyone know if Oratex comes in a Cub yellow the same as Solartex?
Yes. The other available colors stateside are all on Balsa USA's website here. How well it matches, and how transparent it is (compared to Solartex) remains to be seen. Maybe Balsa USA can get you a small sample to compare.
Dec 08, 2019, 09:39 AM
Hi I am recovering a profile plane that I have had for a while, I recovered it in Oratex I really love the way it looks and feels. My question is did you paint or seal the covering with anything after, and what did you use? I have covered the wings in colors I like and the body I am still figuring out, maybe some decals or graphics?

Thank you
Dec 09, 2019, 11:04 PM
I built a Sig 1/5 Cub and covered it with Cub yellow Solartex. The sprayed over it with Minwax Poly semi gloss just to keep it clean. It has a bit of yellow in it but you can't tell.
For your application you should look for something that is crystal clear, non yellowing. Possibly clear dope or lacquer. If you're going to use glow make sure it is fuel proof.
A friend of mine covers his 1/4 scale with plain Solartex and paints them with Rustoleum. They look great and since they are gas powered, there is no problem with any reaction to the gas.
Dec 12, 2019, 03:31 PM
Thank you I am going to flying this with a Saito 125 so there will be glow fuel.
Dec 14, 2019, 06:38 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
See here, they make Ultracote too. Horizon owns the distribution in the US which is why you don't see Oracover here. Now if they would get some Trans Lite in stock I would be happy.

https://www.oracover.de
Jan 18, 2020, 06:57 AM
How well do decals go over oratex? Does it require different decals or a special process or sealer? Thx!

Quick Reply