Aug 31, 2019, 07:14 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
FPV

I have a couple of airplanes set up for FPV that I use to fly quite a bit. I haven't flown them any this year. Looks I am loosing interest in them also.

I like to try new things but I always gravitate back to Traditional Model Airplane flying. That is the most fun for me. Was heavily into electrics but this year I am getting back into nitro airplanes. Strange how the car guys have gone from electric to nitro - maybe nitro is the new old trend.

to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2019, 08:30 AM
I flew quads for a while. Got tired of racing after getting the hang of it, then switched to freestyle. Got tired of that after reaching the point of being able to do graceful rolls.

I now only fly the quads indoors when the weather is too bad to fly planes.

There's a grace and beauty to flying planes that I never get tired of.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:11 AM
I just checked out the Mini Drone section, and was surprised to see how dead it is. I used to be more active there, but was really put off by all the hype and constant obsession with novelty for novelty's sake. I guess that corner of the hobby anyway has kind of eaten its own tail. The videos all got a bit lame too, with X million variations of flips and rolls over trees etc. I still think quads are neat, but the hype factor - that hype factor - was annoying. I think what most people here are talking about is a different kind of hype though - toy quads and Phantoms for people with no interest in RC per seŽ.

It was the same with RC offroad 8th scale racing IMO. I got very put off by the obsession with novelty. You'd buy a €1000 buggy or truggy, but the companies were releasing updates every 6-8 months, so after that time your car was perceived as outdated, and lost value correspondingly. It came to feel like a pointless rat race to me after a while. Novelty-obsession was just one of the reasons...

It's not like hype doesn't exist in the RC plane world either though....
Aug 31, 2019, 10:24 AM
We will know for sure this Christmas when the retailers are selling only a few versus the numerous models and types over the last few years. But yes it does look like the craze fad is over. The kids and people are moving into some other new fad of some kind.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:45 AM
Video games with huge weapons and shooting and with buckets of blood spattering will always be popular.
Aug 31, 2019, 02:43 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
The drone fad reminds me of an incident about 15 years ago, at an IT conference/trade show. The trade show took up about 1/3 of the conference center's large room. 1/3 of the room was partitioned off into small cubicles for attendees to take Microsoft certification exams. And the 1/3 between the vendors and the testing area was an empty buffer. The conference sessions and classes were in smaller, ballrooms around the large room.

That's the layout. On to the event.

To attract attendees to their booths, vendors gave away various swag (usually with their logo). One vendor was doing 10 minute presentations to groups of about 20 attendees. You threw your business card into a bowl as you entered the presentation and, if you stayed through the presentation, you qualified for a prize drawing at the end of the presentation. The prize? An RTF, 400 size, coaxial heli.

I was talking to a vendor on the edge of the buffer when I saw a guy walk out of the vendor area with one of the helis tucked under his arm. He set down his swag and began to open the heli. I figured I'd see how much danger we were in, and walked up to him and asked,

"You going to fly that?"

"Yup."

"You ever flown an RC heli?"

"Nope. But, how hard can it be?"

"You ever fly an RC plane?"

"Nope. But this isn't a plane, it's a heli."

"Good luck."

I walked quickly back into the vendor area to get something solid between him and me. A few seconds later, the heli went "balls to the wall" straight up and crashed into a ceiling light fixture about 30' overhead, followed by a similarly rapid, albeit, less direct, descent to a similar crash on the floor, where the remains sat thrashing around with the motor still at full throttle.

After that, there was always a security guard standing along the boundary between the vendors and the open area. No one else was allowed to try their new heli there.

- Roger
Last edited by gnofliwr; Aug 31, 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Aug 31, 2019, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
Just another reason to fly low and slow..... 3D style where no-one complains.
Unless you do it over my runway!! Now MOVE, I'M MAKING A LOW PASS!

Andy
Aug 31, 2019, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Strange how the car guys have gone from electric to nitro - maybe nitro is the new old trend.
I told you that back in the spring!

Glow IS making a comeback.

Andy
Aug 31, 2019, 08:13 PM
I love the smell of glow exhaust in the morning.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I love the smell of glow exhaust in the morning.

You and me both, brotha~. Ain't nothin' quite like the smell of half-burnt castor to wake ya up! A lot of days I'm the only one at my field with anything wet fuel, but heh, still flyin' it! And driving it, too, most of my cars are glow as well.

Current project: Getting an AP 061 RC to power a Kadet EP-42, after that, coaxing a 1.8m Skyhunter to play nice with a Saito FA-45 MkII.

Odd thing I've noticed about cars V planes, though. The exhaust from planes is quite pleasant smelling, but the exhaust from glow cars is literally painful to get a whiff of. It's the same three ingredients in only slightly different proportions. What gives?
Quote:
Strange how the car guys have gone from electric to nitro - maybe nitro is the new old trend.

Oh how much I wish this was true...but if Arrma's latest releases are anything to go by, glow is still just as much of a niche on the surface as it was last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
Sure it is, any moron can go buy and fly.
That's not why we have this problem. Any moron can 'go buy and fly' a UMX Timber too, but it isn't because of people lodging foamies in people's awnings that the FAA is sticking their so far up our asses we can taste it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the barrier to entry. It never did. Sure it's easier than ever before to get into RC aviation, but that's not why we have people ruining it for everyone else.

We have people ruining it for everyone else because that's just how societies are. There's always a smattering of morons and f-tards that can't control themselves. You see it in every hobby, not just ours. You see it with gamers, you see it with firearms enthusiasts, with hotrodders, RC, outdoorsey stuff, all of it. There's inevitably a small bunch of idiots that ruin it for everyone in some way.

It just so happens that our small bunch of idiots are drone pilots that think it's ok to park their DJI Phantom above their neighbor's bedroom window, or try to shoot some gaps at the local intl airport.

Quote:
There's no talent needed and it has a camera ( a big draw) .
Perhaps with the DJI style of drones where they do all the hard work for you, but race quads? Which, I'd like to remind you, are just as commonly misused as the photodrones?

I have a couple of cheapies myself(They're strictly LOS indoor microquads) and, honest to god truth, I find it harder to fly them than I do my NexSTAR. I've got more time on either one of them than I do the NexSTAR yet I can barely manage to take off and land without crashing the thing, yet I've been pulling loops, aileron rolls, wingovers, split-S's with the NexSTAR like I've been doing it for years.

Quads are not as easy to fly as you're making it out to be. If it truly was simply a case of 'any moron can go buy and fly' DJI would have solved the problem with a software update that'd prevent their products from being misused....which they did anyway.

Problem still exists.
Quote:
As far as the "high profile" jackass's, if the FAA would have actually followed thru with the fines rather than settling for pennies on the dollar a lot of these guys would have just gone away.

Mike

I've been saying all along that we don't need any new rules whatsoever, instead we simply need enforcement of the rules already being broken by these idiots. It's already illegal to fly a model aircraft of any sort within the controlled airspace of a 1:1 airport. It's already illegal to use a model aircraft to spy on your neighbor. It's already illegal to fly a model aircraft in a reckless manner(IE above people's heads and down streets and such).

We do not, never did, and never will need these new regulations, and they're not going to solve anything. All we need is enforcement of the existing regs.
Last edited by C6 Aviation; Aug 31, 2019 at 10:34 PM.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:19 PM
Modeling Retread
I stopped by a hobby supply company that has a booth at Toledo on my way home from Oshkosh. I asked about this year’s Toledo show. The owner said the show was down quite a bit but it was mostly the drones that had disappeared. His RC airplane builder focused did better than ever, he said.
Latest blog entry: 17th Annual BEST Fly-In
Aug 31, 2019, 10:51 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
WRT this year's Toledo. The drones were not completely gone, but their presence was severely diminished. The area in the back of the hall (sorry, my normally accurate, internal, NESW orientation doesn't seen to work in the Segate Center) used for the last couple of years was larger this year, but there weren't drones flying there, they had the indoor, precision aerobatics and free style championships there Friday and Saturday evenings. And AMA had their simulator trailer there and open during the day.

The number of main floor vendors continued the downward trend of the last few years, but those vendors I talked to said they were having good sales. Attendance seemed to be down, too. The days of not having to walk around the main floor (just pick up your feet and let the crush carry you along) are long gone. The attendance drop may have been due to the price hike from $20 to $25 - I heard a lot of grumbling about that.

On an up note, the upstairs swap meet was the biggest it's been in probably 5 years - there were occupied tables all the way across the bridge to the parking structure.

On another note, the Makers Faire held at The Henry Ford, in Dearborn, MI, had dronr racing on the front lawn for a couple of years - they even crowded the "Mentos Guys" and the model rocket, make it/fly it/take it events out one year. But, the drones haven't been there for two years. The mod rocket guys are back, but the "Mentos Guys" are still missing. The drones appearance coincided with the consumer fad, and disappeared just as quickly.

- Roger
Sep 01, 2019, 01:44 AM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Unless you do it over my runway!! Now MOVE, I'M MAKING A LOW PASS!

Andy
Low pass under a hovering aircraft? AWESOME!
Sep 01, 2019, 05:46 AM
Andy is not only very practical, but very smart and experienced as well. Why assume he'd try that if there was not room to fly under it? My take on his post was merely, "Move it or lose it" .... and that as a heads-up warning only
Sep 01, 2019, 06:20 AM
jofro
Quote:
Just got the latest Model Aviation Magazine and just noticed that it did not have any drone articles and almost no drone adds either.

I myself lost interest in drones (also helicopters) and am not 100% airplanes. I started building kits and scratch builds again that I really enjoy.

What do you all think - is the day of the drone becoming history as a RC hobby. I do think that commercial drones and camera drones will continue to be popular but maybe the average RC sport flyer is getting bored with them. For me they were just not nearly as much fun as a good high powered Warbird for sort aerobatic airplane.

"Drones", meaning a multi rotor flying gadgets never gave any inspiration to my like, as it doesn't represent anything. But it seem like they took over most of RC Modeling magazines down here, judged by what I see at newsagents. Sadly, just about every RC magazine down here went bust, last few years just as well as most of RC shops thanks to few monopolies but seem like "Drone" magazines are still in full bloom.

Quick Reply