Aug 29, 2019, 10:12 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I think part of the "drone craze" has been fueled by the Darwin Award Channel (aka YouTube). And the FAA's reaction was largely in response to those videos.

- Roger
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2019, 10:16 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
All I know is this hobby has evolved so much in the past three years and it wasn’t like that until drones got popular.
On the fixed-wing side of the hobby, the only thing drones can really be credited with is gaining the FAA's attention.
Aug 29, 2019, 10:20 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Remember the Duncan YoYo craze ? How about Hula Hoops, transistor radios, Frisbees, paint by number sets. Still remaining, obsessed cell phone users : couples staring at cell phones in restaurants and not speaking. Mothers crossing streets staring at cell phones, not watching kids or texting while driving, twittering and tweeting unnecessary babble. It's"cool".
Pogs, Pokemon cards, Gigapets, laser pointers. Hell, even in RC we've had fads. Remember the "StormLauncher"? Those flying hydrofoil boats?
Aug 29, 2019, 10:26 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
On the fixed-wing side of the hobby, the only thing drones can really be credited with is gaining the FAA's attention.
Yep.

Mike
Aug 29, 2019, 01:07 PM

droning (on & off)

I still occasionally fly this in the same living room airspace as my birds, since it is small enough not to easily murder them and with enough inertia that its flight-path is predictable to avoid (their brains go 10 - 20x so fast as ours). Though they do respect its injury potential to them.

For me I only use it as a difficult but do-able challenge to fly head-first in tight fast banked circles like a fixed-wing, especially using the tiny toy Tx! (even using 2-fingers on each stick)

Kiki adjusting nano quad rotors

However they more like flying with the Avitron ornithopters (Kiki can sometimes purposely fly in an opposite circle and squarely chest-butt Avitrons down out of his airspace)

King Kiki

Aug 29, 2019, 08:20 PM
I went nuts in the early days and ended up with 15. Phantoms, Blade, etc along with large quads and hexes I built. With the FAA crap I quickly lost interest and none even flew for 3 years until this year when a drug a few out to blow my 4 y/o grandsons mind lol. Just now getting into planes and loving them much more than drones and hope soon to try some FPV flying with them.
Last edited by tnriverluver; Aug 29, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Aug 30, 2019, 05:02 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I went nuts in the early days and ended up with 15. Phantoms, Blade, etc along with large quads and hexes I built. With the FAA crap I quickly lost interest and none even flew for 3 years until this year when a drug a few out to blow my 4 y/o grandsons mind lol. Just now getting into planes and loving them much more than drones and hope soon to try some FPV flying with them.
That's my experience also. I tried several drones, took pictures and videos. After a couple of years they just sit and did not get flown. I find airplanes to be much more fun to fly. There is such a wide variety of airplanes that it can keep you interested for a lifetime.

Aug 30, 2019, 05:20 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
More overblown drone hysteria and finger waving....

A few years ago a guy was killed in Switzerland by an RC glider.
RC ornithopters are probably the safest RC aircrafts since there isn’t any spinning blade on them. But as soon as you put a camera and video transmitter on it, it’s considered a drone and they will say “It’s a dangerous DRONE disguised as a bird! And what if it gets sucked into a plane’s engine?!”

cybirdP1 brushless (3 min 39 sec)
Aug 30, 2019, 06:50 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
If it's radio controlled (quad, hex, octo, fixed wing, ornitopter heli), the FAA considers it a drone, with or without a camera. To the FAA the only differentiation is "two sticks of butter" (250 grams) - lighter than that, it's still a drone, but they don't care.

- Roger
Aug 30, 2019, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
If it's radio controlled (quad, hex, octo, fixed wing, ornitopter heli), the FAA considers it a drone, with or without a camera. To the FAA the only differentiation is "two sticks of butter" (250 grams) - lighter than that, it's still a drone, but they don't care.

- Roger
It's too bad there isn't a brain-cell, let alone any pilots, in the entirety of the FAA.

"RC" is radio controlled - LOS and 100% user controlled
"Drone" = autonomous. But we can thank the media for a lot of that too not understanding the difference.

But then again the public hasn't been much help either as has been pointed out via youtube, etc.

Just another reason to fly low and slow..... 3D style where no-one complains.
Aug 30, 2019, 04:01 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
People I know that bought them flew them for a bit, taking pictures of sunsets and their house and well... Yaaaawn.
Once that was out of their system, they stayed in the closet it seemed. Those who like the electornics side and gadgets and gizmos will be stick with it but I think the majority of mom and pop users now have it gathering dust in the closet.
Aug 30, 2019, 05:49 PM
volare est vivere
Hi there from Toledo!

Is the drone craze finally over?

Good lord, I sincerely hope so.

ciao rjf
Aug 31, 2019, 01:48 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
Toledo has such a beautiful aerial view but I guess it would be annoying to hear constant buzzing from drones disturbing its serenity. I could not resist a quick fpv flight when I was there, the Toledo tower’s security allowed me to fly my pocket size octacopter, probably because it looks more like a cute toy than a serious “drone”.

Link to the recorded video
Aug 31, 2019, 05:21 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Are drones still a big problem in Europe or is it also dying out there?
Aug 31, 2019, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Just got the latest Model Aviation Magazine and just noticed that it did not have any drone articles and almost no drone adds either.

I myself lost interest in drones (also helicopters) and am not 100% airplanes. I started building kits and scratch builds again that I really enjoy.

What do you all think - is the day of the drone becoming history as a RC hobby. I do think that commercial drones and camera drones will continue to be popular but maybe the average RC sport flyer is getting bored with them. For me they were just not nearly as much fun as a good high powered Warbird for sort aerobatic airplane.

I bought a drone several years and it was fun for awhile and to take photos with it. I do admit I have gotten bored with it. I have not flown it in 8-9 months.
I never got into drone racing or fpv.

Quick Reply