Aug 28, 2019, 03:57 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr
My only problem with drones in general is the way and where some people fly them. I have personally seen a person fly over a road and another one told me that he flies around his neighborhood to look into windows. Recent news reports of them flying around airports scare the heck out of me too. I'm holding my breath - figuratively
What is it about drones that brings out the worst in people. Same problem with laser pointers.

I think the main problem is all the electronics makes them way too easy to fly. When I started single channel was the norm and multi channel way way advanced and expensive. We used a rubber band escapement to move the rudder.

to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2019, 07:47 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
What is it about drones that brings out the worst in people. Same problem with laser pointers.

I think the main problem is all the electronics makes them way too easy to fly. When I started single channel was the norm and multi channel way way advanced and expensive. We used a rubber band escapement to move the rudder.

Because any moron can use them.

Mike
Aug 28, 2019, 10:38 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I think the consumer wave has created and broken. I haven't heard fircasts of million drone Christmas any more.

As a faction of our hobby, it's still around, but it is changing.

Remember the initial heli craze in the early '70s? It plateaued and heli interest has risen and fallen in the decades since as new technologies have emerged making it both easier and more challenging. There's been a core group of devotees who stick with it and develop (or apply) the new technologies, but for the "main stream" (whatever that means) modeler, it is an ocassional diversion.

My observations of the quad community is similar to the heli community. The initial fascination is wearing off. There is a core group of devotees who focus primarily on quads.

For example, in the winter I fly at 2 sites. For a couple of years, fixed wing flyers shared the field with a group of avid, quad racers. The quad racers set up a course on one half of the field floor and used the bottom 8-10 feet of air space above their course (it's an inflated soccer dome, and they flew on their side, below the lights). The fixed wing flyers used the other half, with 3D and helis at either end. If the fixed wings flew over the quad side, they stayed above the lights. No problems. But last winter, the quad guys didn't show up, and the previous year their numbers had dropped to 2 or 3 showing up intermittently. The other site sets up an obstacle course - there are a half dozen regulars who fly there and probably a half dozen fixed wing flyers who bring an FPV quad ocassionally.

That's a small sample size and doesn't take into account other venues that may be both dedicated to quads and more active. But it's a couple of data points.

On the positive side, I do see several online stores that appear to cater to quads and particularly FPV (albeit the FPV coverage is for both quads and fixed wings). However, now that I think about it, maybe quads are plateauing and FPV is still growing.

- Roger
Aug 28, 2019, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
Remember the initial heli craze in the early '70s? It plateaued and heli interest has risen and fallen in the decades since as new technologies have emerged making it both easier and more challenging. There's been a core group of devotees who stick with it and develop (or apply) the new technologies, but for the "main stream" (whatever that means) modeler, it is an ocassional diversion.

My observations of the quad community is similar to the heli community. The initial fascination is wearing off. There is a core group of devotees who focus primarily on quads.
To be fair, a lot of the general disinterest in helis is because the only airframes you can even buy are 3D airframes, and they're so heavily optimized for flying around in the same 40-60 square feet of area looking like the receiver's about to fail that they fly like absolute hell if you try to do anything else with them. You can't buy a 'scale' heli, only a 3D heli with a scale bodyshell slapped over the top that flies like crap because of its underpinnings not really being all that happy about the overcoat.

I see this in drones too. You've got two schools of flight with these things: DJI style camera platforms that do most of the heavy lifting on their own and are barely controllable enough to even qualify as RC, and race quads that are only really good for immitating the Kessel Run. If you're not looking for either of those things you're probably not gonna have a good time with quads, if you are, you've found your dream ship.

Some of it may also be all the heat on drones in particular. You can get a lot of the same thrills out of a small little FPV Wing without any of the hate that saying you fly quads can sometimes garner, particularly from suburbanites that only watch the TV news and think all quad pilots are spying on people.
Quote:
On the positive side, I do see several online stores that appear to cater to quads and particularly FPV (albeit the FPV coverage is for both quads and fixed wings). However, now that I think about it, maybe quads are plateauing and FPV is still growing.

- Roger
FPV is definitely going to get HUGE. You've got major players offering FPV-equipped rigs right out of the box at this point. Horizon has a smattering of FPV aircraft on offer AND they've got a couple of FPV crawlers. Team Associated doesn't do anything flight related, yet they've got a dedicated FPV system involving some fairly nice gogs and AIO cam units you can tape to your cars and show the system in use on half their offerings when you look up the marketing spiels. Horizon also sells a similar system under the Spektrum brand.

FPV Quads may not be the biggest thing in RC, but FPV itself will be huge. I'd almost say itt'l be the norm in a few years. Hell, the bug's bit me, I've already got three FPV rigs(NexSTAR 46, Slayer Pro, CA-10) and I plan on FPVing everything I own at some point.

I'm rather fond of RMRC, as far as FPV stores, but then again that's probably because I went to FPVFest 2019 and had an absolute blast there. And when I remaidened my Aerostar 40 in a 2pm gaggle during the event, one of their higher ups commented on how effortlessly the 40FP fired up!
Last edited by C6 Aviation; Aug 28, 2019 at 11:01 PM.
Aug 28, 2019, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
Because any moron can use them.

Mike
That's not it. Any random moron can buy one of these RTF foamies from Horizon with the SAFE tech in it and yeet it into the heavens. The plane's avionics do 3/4ths of the work for you. Especially if it's one of the UMX micros or a Timber, those things are designed for first time pilots and priced to match.

Nah, it's 100% a case of a few high profile f-tards ruining it for all of us.
Aug 29, 2019, 05:45 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
Quote:
Remember the initial heli craze in the early '70s?
Not just in the early ‘70s, in 2005, Align swept the RC market by storm with their TREX450-size collective pitch electric heli.. those beast spinning 325mm blades were so capable outdoor despite their size which was considerably smaller than the nitro 30-size helicopters. No one would expect a drone to replace the RC Heli’s interest at that time..even until 2009 when Gaui was marketing their 330mm line-of-sight quadcopters (with an orange ping pong ball at its front to aid in orientation).. look at RC heli now, even magazines switched to talk about drones.
Quote:
- Roger
The drones in toy shops all featured the similar 360p WiFi cam that sends live video to smart phones with a latency bad enough to make the first time FPV experience disappointing for many people who purchased these toy drones for cheap or had received them as Xmas gifts. I often advised my friends to get zero latency vtx to replace that WiFi cam or simply put a cheap 1.2ghz one on a toy drone like this 18$ Banggood drone I modified in the video below:
Convert a 20usd Skull Drone to FPV (9 min 43 sec)
Aug 29, 2019, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Aviation
That's not it. Any random moron can buy one of these RTF foamies from Horizon with the SAFE tech in it and yeet it into the heavens. The plane's avionics do 3/4ths of the work for you. Especially if it's one of the UMX micros or a Timber, those things are designed for first time pilots and priced to match.

Nah, it's 100% a case of a few high profile f-tards ruining it for all of us.
Sure it is, any moron can go buy and fly. There's no talent needed and it has a camera ( a big draw) . As far as the RTF planes they were never a issue nor were even discussed as a issue when this all started. This whole thing came about because the "millions of drones" being sold and hyped by the media. Out of those millions sold very few are probably flown today. Most are in the trash or in the corner of the closet long forgotten. As far as the "high profile" jackass's, if the FAA would have actually followed thru with the fines rather than settling for pennies on the dollar a lot of these guys would have just gone away.

Mike
Aug 29, 2019, 07:09 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
I still see lots of young kids flying drones in parking lots.

Best solution is encourage them to buy park fliers and join a club. Never understood why the FAA excluded kids from getting a certificate - they are all flying anyway so why not have them do it with some guidelines. They need to start a youth program to encourage flying and not discourage flying. I started flying after school when I was 8 and never had any problems or complaints.

Aug 29, 2019, 07:41 AM
Rabid Rabbit
The Micro quads are great for indoors, we have something called Winter here. Airplanes need a larger indoor flying area . Outdoor drones are handy for searching for downed airplanes and random videography.
Aug 29, 2019, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I still see lots of young kids flying drones in parking lots.

Best solution is encourage them to buy park fliers and join a club. Never understood why the FAA excluded kids from getting a certificate - they are all flying anyway so why not have them do it with some guidelines. They need to start a youth program to encourage flying and not discourage flying. I started flying after school when I was 8 and never had any problems or complaints.
I'm with you on that.

At 8 I was "in business" making chuck gliders and rubber FF for everybody I knew for 25 cents to a dollar.

I guess it's not very politically advantageous to prosecute an 8 year old for flying a drone stupidly. They have a hard time coughing up the $25K penalties I bet. But how many adults have they actually prosecuted for stupid stuff?

Andy
Aug 29, 2019, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I'm with you on that.

At 8 I was "in business" making chuck gliders and rubber FF for everybody I knew for 25 cents to a dollar.

I guess it's not very politically advantageous to prosecute an 8 year old for flying a drone stupidly. They have a hard time coughing up the $25K penalties I bet. But how many adults have they actually prosecuted for stupid stuff?

Andy
Not enough. Almost every fine has been settled for pennies of the original amount. It's really sad.
Mike
Aug 29, 2019, 08:55 AM
More overblown drone hysteria and finger waving....

A few years ago a guy was killed in Switzerland by an RC glider.
Aug 29, 2019, 09:18 AM
Remember the Duncan YoYo craze ? How about Hula Hoops, transistor radios, Frisbees, paint by number sets. Still remaining, obsessed cell phone users : couples staring at cell phones in restaurants and not speaking. Mothers crossing streets staring at cell phones, not watching kids or texting while driving, twittering and tweeting unnecessary babble. It's"cool".
Aug 29, 2019, 09:42 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
What's a drone? Never heard the term......yep it's over to some.... raging in my Freestyle world (ok maybe just to me...still dig em). Oh yeah and still a fixed wing junkie. I have a house full of both to prove it.

Any more of either and I will quickly become un-married. Sure am gonna miss her.

Ok insane fads..... who out there remembers the "PET ROCK"?

Ok now that was funny and someone was laughing and driving their Money truck to the bank weekly for a while.
Aug 29, 2019, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
What's a drone? Never heard the term......yep it's over to some.... raging in my Freestyle world (ok maybe just to me...still dig em). Oh yeah and still a fixed wing junkie. I have a house full of both to prove it.

Any more of either and I will quickly become un-married. Sure am gonna miss her.

Ok insane fads..... who out there remembers the "PET ROCK"?

Ok now that was funny and someone was laughing and driving their Money truck to the bank weekly for a while.
Well this is the picture the FAA sent out with their last email.

Mike

Quick Reply