Jan 20, 2020, 11:25 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Right Bob

Jim,
Exactly, FIO starts Thursday, I will be watching.

Thanks Jim

jumo,
Interesting and good idea. I imagine it would work, try it next time I guess. Although cutting those teeth out through three layers
wouldn't be much fun.

A lot of my problem is hurrying. Really sometimes just can't control it. And then football distraction didn't help either.
Yeah, I'll blame it on the NFL.
Things going well so far this morning. working on upper wing surface crosses and the swastikas on the vertical. Have to keep telling myself light coats
and patience. Have the base base down and will need to let it dry well enough to mask for the black. The masking for the black is the clincher on how well it looks.
Then the fuse crosses and numbers will finish the decals and on to panel lines.
Hoping my airbrush comes back from Badger to tackle them as my other favorite one needs a new needle and tip, sure they are washed out from overuse.
It's been acting up a bit and really don't trust it for fine work.

J
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2020, 03:38 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
This process sure as hell makes you appreciate Callie. A bunch onfwork and very difficult to get optimum results. Trying hard to prevent creep, still had a little on the swastikas and wing crosses. Not horrible but very irritating. I should have ordered some Model Master paints instead of using off the shelf acrylics. They have much better opacity than these and would allow fewer thinner coats.
So no close in shots for you guys until I have them doctored up.

J
Jan 20, 2020, 05:38 PM
Pro Hoarder
That looks great so far...you got the colors spot on
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 20, 2020, 05:49 PM

They look Great to me!!

I'm still learning! This thing is going to be beautiful!
Jan 20, 2020, 05:53 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Scott,
At least some things are going well.

I got all the templates cut out for the side crosses and numbers. Given my eye problems, I used the cutouts to stick on for a trial. I hoped I could use
the vertical joint where the fuse spits to align the vertical of the cross. It looks like it will work but I wouldn't mind some feedback on it. The numbers are just sort of roughed on there, didn't really measure, but I think they are close . The 5 and K are one template, the D and C are too so setting them properly shouldn't be a problem once I get the cross on straight. The 5, K,and C are simple black. I think I will make the D yellow in color.

Have some errands to run so won't get on this until tomorrow afternoon.

J
Jan 20, 2020, 07:29 PM
J.
How about before painting the masked areas, you give the tape edges a light flat clear first. Maybe let it almost dry and then if any creep it would consist of clear. Beautiful work.
Bob **Neons**
Jan 20, 2020, 07:51 PM
Pro Hoarder
Numbers look good...Neons idea works pretty good..I have dont that in the past
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 20, 2020, 08:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Bob,
I've done that before too and it usually works pretty good. I've had better luck with spraying the base coat color to seal the tape edges
but not working as well this time. I'll switch and try that with these fuse crosses and see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Thanks Scott,
The numbers looked alright to me but in the past I had had so many crooked decals that I thought were perfect, thought
I'd better put some better eyes on this one. Not much fun if you have to sand these off and start over.

J
Jan 20, 2020, 09:15 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
J.
How about before painting the masked areas, you give the tape edges a light flat clear first. Maybe let it almost dry and then if any creep it would consist of clear. Beautiful work.
Bob **Neons**
Bob,
Lightbulb just went off. If you saw one of my posts earlier, I used some solvent based white primer on the skull & crossbones, but two VERY light coats.
Got lucky as it didn't damage the shelf paper. Solvent based paints will soften and make the shelf paper pucker if too heavy a coat is applied.
So I think I had better stick to the acrylics to seal the tape edges.
But I can change tape from the 3M med tack to the 3M trim tape. Wanted to use the former because the latter has a bit more tackiness to it
and worried about pulling up my base coat. But the 3M trim tape is really a step up from the everyday med tack you buy at like Walmart or big box stores.
I'll try it on the crosses on the fuse and hope for the best and pretty confident that it won't creep under it. If it pulls paint, I have other places to repair anyway, what's a couple more?
And I guess WBPU might work too, may do some experiments tomorrow.

I tend to get dangerous when I'm just sitting around thinking.

J
Jan 21, 2020, 01:57 AM
Classic jets rule
Gads reminds me of the old days painting markings always a chore...we are spoiled by Callie.
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Jan 21, 2020 at 02:15 AM.
Jan 21, 2020, 05:07 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Well, I didn't get squat done today. My errands ran into an all day deal.
Back on the fuse decals tomorrow.

J
Jan 22, 2020, 08:56 AM
Mike
J,
Something I found something that helps remove the tape without taking up the paint with it is to use a hair dryer on medium heat. pass it over the area you want to pull the tape up from with a hand near the tape so you know you are not getting it too warm. The low heat loosens the adhesive enough to come up without pulling paint.

I'd try it on some test pieces to get a feel for it and see if you are comfortable with that process.
Last edited by i12flyrc; Jan 22, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
Jan 22, 2020, 09:15 AM
That is a neat idea. Will have to file it away for later.

Jim
Jan 22, 2020, 11:26 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
John, you have used LMF to great effect on this plane and others in the past for canopies. Would it not do just as well for masking, at least, the larger markings on the wing and fuselage; especially the swastikas and crosses?

Tony
Jan 22, 2020, 04:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by N114RV
I'm still learning! This thing is going to be beautiful!
Thanks

Mike,
That's a good tip. I actually use the heat gun quite a bit, speeding up drying time between coats and keeps the surface warm also
helps the paint "stick" and helps prevent any runs that want to start.

Tony,
I actually thought about it but was scared to try it basically because my fine motor skills aren't what they used to be.
The LMF requires dragging an exacto knife tip across each line and curve after drawing out the shape i order to peel away
the intended painted area. I don't worry too much about that on canopies but was worried a bit about doing it on the glassed balsa
surface. Screw up and you would have to repair the area and do over. Just didn't want to chance it.
Might be a good thing to test for later though.

So the decls are done. I did the crosses first and then the aircraft number. What a royal PITA. What was I thinking esp since I just read somewhere on RCG that Callie does flat vinyl decals. Think I'll go that route next time.
The shelf paper actually does a good job on a single mask job, like the aircraft number. It's when you have to overmask it when I got in trouble.
On the crosses I switched to 3M trim tape and it did a good job.
So now I can move on to something less stressful.

J

Quick Reply