Jan 16, 2020, 11:34 PM
Classic jets rule
Looking good ...great that your C/G came in.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 09:32 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
What I'm shooting for.

J
Jan 17, 2020, 11:58 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Well, weather cancelled my family thing ( don't like driving on ice). And my trigger finger is getting itchy. I left the heat on 70F last night, paint seems in good shape. I may rub it down with steel wool a little later and start masking the bottom off. It will be a hard line camo so much easier than the soft line. Maybe even do another color today.
The pale green I used is actually the same color I used as a base for the Me-263 mottled camo job.
Granted the bombs are a little small but I think they'll look alright.

J
Jan 17, 2020, 12:45 PM
Parkcityflier
I'm having quite a winter here too. Lots of snow and cold this year but the good thing, I guess, is that since I don't want to spend a lot of time in it I'm getting a lot of building time this month. The paint on the 88 is really looking good.

Jim
Jan 17, 2020, 05:54 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Jim

Two down, one to go.
I got one little nasty run on the port side of the vertical. GRRRRRRR.

J
Jan 17, 2020, 07:44 PM
Classic jets rule
We got @2-3" of snow last night ... but its the normal kind ...streets allready clear and mostly dry.
Paint looking good !
Jan 18, 2020, 12:19 PM
Good Morning. I think your work is awesome and we'll above my experience. Nevertheless, I'm trying to adapt some of the techniques I'm learning from you. Presently I'm trying your spackling method using the Sherwin Williams shrink-free spackle. A couple questions from a novice. Do you wear any gloves when spackling? I haven't so far. Do you have a picture of the model after spackling but before sanding? Wanted to see how heavy you lay down your spackle. I'm building a Stafford B-24 that I started some 23 years ago. My first foray into fiberglass a fuselage. Now I'm suffering my ignorance and trying to finish the model. Thanks for reading. I appreciate all your builds and read them faithfully each day. BTW your JU-88 looks terrific.
Jan 18, 2020, 12:40 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schmidt
Good Morning. I think your work is awesome and we'll above my experience. Nevertheless, I'm trying to adapt some of the techniques I'm learning from you. Presently I'm trying your spackling method using the Sherwin Williams shrink-free spackle. A couple questions from a novice. Do you wear any gloves when spackling? I haven't so far. Do you have a picture of the model after spackling but before sanding? Wanted to see how heavy you lay down your spackle. I'm building a Stafford B-24 that I started some 23 years ago. My first foray into fiberglass a fuselage. Now I'm suffering my ignorance and trying to finish the model. Thanks for reading. I appreciate all your builds and read them faithfully each day. BTW your JU-88 looks terrific.
Thanks Steve,
I don't necessarily put the spackle on thick, just want to fill the weave. And as regards to spackle, the S-W is the best of the bunch since they put primer in
all of them. But it can be improved further by adding about 10-15% Durham Rock Hard Putty and just a bit of water to mix it. That really improves it.
I just rub it in with a finger. I rarely wear gloves for anything, no allergies as yet and I'm getting up there in age.
There are probably some pics in my latest threads with it rubbed in, but I don't keep many build pics, that's what I use RCG for.
But just a liberally rubbing into the weave will fill it nicely. Then a whole bunch of sanding afterwards. Goo luck with your B-24, that's a whole lot of rubbing
and sanding.

Spent the morning masking for the final base coat.

J
Jan 18, 2020, 04:44 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
All the base colors are on now. I pulled the masking as soon as the paint felt dry to the touch. I've found if you leave tape too long and it dries hard, it will sometimes pull the edge of the last painted surface. This went really well, I'm happy with it.
Next will be decals and that will take awhile since I'm doing them the old school way.
And I know it's a bit early for Miller Time but I think I have earned it today.
Time for a Silver Bullet.
Cheers

J
Jan 18, 2020, 07:24 PM

It's 6:00 Somewhere!

'Nuff Said. Great project Mr. Morgan!
Jan 18, 2020, 08:17 PM
Still Screamin'!
Wow John! Beautiful!
Jan 19, 2020, 10:42 AM
When cows fly!
Looking good!
Jan 19, 2020, 11:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by N114RV
'Nuff Said. Great project Mr. Morgan!
That's right! Thanks

Thanks Bob, David

Thought I might as well start with the hardest decals. This is the nose art on JG51. I like to use kitchen cabinet adhesive shelf paper. It's tacky but not too tacky.
Used a piece of clean plastic to mount it to, then spray adhesive to stick the copy to it. A very sharp exacto blade to cut out the skull and crossbones.
Teeth were the hardest part. But it worked well enough. Then steel wooled the nose of the 88 to make sure I had a smooth even surface. Stuck the template on and masked around. Two light coats of green to seal all the edges just in case, gotta prevent paint creep. Then two light coats white primer because yellow doesn't like dark under colors. Once dry, three light coats of yellow. Let dry and reveal. Came out good enough for me.
The nose art was actually mirror images for both sides but I'm not smart enough on a computer to reverse it and didn't feel like tracing it in reverse.

The other decals are larger and I'll probably use sheet glass the adhere the shel paper to so I can cut them out.

J
Jan 19, 2020, 12:30 PM
I’m REALLY reluctant to ask this (but obviously not totally reluctant)....If you cut out the stencil, flipping it over produces a mirror image, no?
Jan 19, 2020, 02:46 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Yeah Jim, but the shelf paper is sticky on one side. I use the whole stencil ( uncut) to lay on the shelf paper. I could have traced it backwards with carbon paper but that's a lot of work since I would need tracing paper first so I could see through it. Just too lazy, plus, you can only see one side at a time.

J

Quick Reply