Sep 04, 2019, 10:13 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
J, I thought that you would have it all figured out on the plugs. Itís a great way to do it. The JU88 is going to be a great project.

Jim
Not sure about great Jim but it certainly has my attention.
Finally have most of the formers traced, transferred to foam, cut out, setback traced on, cut out again. I glued in many, just have #s 5, 6, 12 to go.
6 and 12 are the wing mounting formers, 1/4" ply for part of them. I laminated a 1/2" foam former to the ply for the front mount( #6). Still thinking through the rear, #12, not sure I will follow what Don designed. Once those are in I can sand in the side keel and then it will be ready for some skinning.
Rear section of the fuse only has 8 formers and should be much simpler.

J
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 04:16 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Well, it's not much but it is a start. The skinning is going to take a lot of time due to the fact that I used 6mm formers. Makes you be more precise in
sizing the skins as they have to share a single 6mm former. 1/2" blue foam is much easier but I'm trying to save every gram I can so hopefully I can splurge later.
I also built up the structure around the lower socket so I can glass that later. And added a socket for a locator dowel on former#15. Out of plastic
tubing so used 1/4" alum tube for the socket. The locator dowel is sticking out of it in the pic. Other side will get one too.

J
Sep 04, 2019, 05:02 PM
Is that around 3mm skin you are using J, or is the MPF more flexible than Depron so you can use thicker?

Ever thought of planking with longer, narrower sections rather than fat ones that extend only one or two bays at a time? What do you see as the pros and cons?

Happy trails for when you hit the road.

Alec
Sep 04, 2019, 06:31 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balticS2
Is that around 3mm skin you are using J, or is the MPF more flexible than Depron so you can use thicker?

Ever thought of planking with longer, narrower sections rather than fat ones that extend only one or two bays at a time? What do you see as the pros and cons?

Happy trails for when you hit the road.

Alec
Thanks Alec,
I'll have Hans watching out for all the crazies.
It is 6 mm MPF and yes, it is more flexible than Depron and less brittle too. None of the taping one side bs that I hated with Depron.
The main reasons I put large panels is because I can with this stuff and that leaves less sanding. I pre-roll it on a 3/4" PVC pipe against my belly( that's what beer is for) and then just pin and tape it on. You could plank as in a balsa build but no need for it. But I will cut the panel sizes down around the nose because I don't want to stress those small formers. But still easier than Depron.

J
Sep 04, 2019, 09:03 PM
John
While I understand why and how you reduce each former to account for the skin thickness, I can’t figure out why you don’t make the adjustment to your templates and cut the formers once to the desired size, instead of twice.

I’m sure you have a good reason, I just can’t think what it is.

Edit:
I’m having deja vu that not only did I wonder about this in a previous build, and I’m worried that I’ve already asked this question before. I don’t know. Sorry.
Sep 05, 2019, 01:58 AM
Just a quess, but I'd think this way is quicker/easier than redrawing the plan templates.

Nice progress! Can't wait to see this one develope!

raipe
Sep 05, 2019, 06:20 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim F,
No problem. Raipe hit the nail right on the head. It is so much easier and faster to simply run my little tool around the perimeter and then slice that off with the scroll saw than to take the time to redraw it. And this way is probably more accurate too ( in my case). No CAD stuff going on here unfortunately.

Thanks raipe

J
Sep 05, 2019, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
It is 6 mm MPF and yes, it is more flexible than Depron and less brittle too......
Sounds useful stuff. I'm not seeing anyone handling it here. I had a go at skinning with 6mm Depron and in no time was crushing the formers. There is someone on RCG that builds airliners from Depron but goes the planking route and that works for him too.

Alec
Sep 05, 2019, 08:07 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
It is much easier than Deron Alec. Almost as good as blue fanfold. In fact I will probably switch over to fanfold for the skins here shortly, it's the same thickness as the MPF and is the easiest foam material that I have ever found to form.

J
Sep 05, 2019, 04:14 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Bit the bullet and made all the rest of the formers today. Then glued up the rest on the port side. Just need to glue in side keel, establish the wing saddle and stab cradle and then it will be all skinning. Slow but sure.

J
Sep 05, 2019, 04:55 PM
Certainly going to be a big bird this one

Glenn
Sep 05, 2019, 08:52 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi John,

On board for the ride and stocked up with popcorn (and perhaps beer!).

Shane.
Sep 05, 2019, 09:04 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Hi John,
That's a big bird. Looking at the pictures, I have to wonder, what do you have for a board underneath that both takes the pins and is flat over such a distance?

Dan Eaton
Sep 06, 2019, 05:26 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
That it is Glenn

Welcome aboard Shane. You'll be done with two or three models before I finish this one.

Hi Dan,
There are two of the old Guillows balsa building boards mated end to end under the plan. Actually there are three of them but just using two for the fuse.
They are as I remember, 12"x48"x1" each and as fine a surface as I've ever found to build on. Have had them for more years than I like to admit.
The workbench is 4'x8' commercial unit from Lowes.
Sadly, Guillows doesn't sell them anymore.

J
Sep 06, 2019, 03:40 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Slowly moving from cleaning/to do list/building mode to loading up mode. Been cycling batteries today( and yesterday) plus a little of everything else.
Difficult to make much progress because lipos scare me and I won't leave them either charging or discharging for even a minute. Of course that doesn't help when you forget you're doing it.
But the batteries are finally ready to load, all at storage level after cycling them all.
I did get the wing saddle set and then a few pieces of skinning done. I doubt I get this side done before leaving but we'll see.
Have decided to just go ahead and skin the rear and leave setting the stab cradle to after I'm done because i want to cut out that section to set it with an internal elevator control. And switched over to fanfold for the skins, it's child's play compared to Depron and even MPF.

J

Quick Reply