Aug 29, 2019, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Thanks Bart,

This beautiful model has a 10M wingspan!!!
J
Span is given as 4 metres. Length as 10 metres and weight, 149 kg. 13 ft span, 33 ft long and 328.5 lbs.
Last edited by FreeFright; Aug 29, 2019 at 05:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2019, 01:27 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Yeah, sorry, I just read the title and went with wingspan. Still, a very large plane.

So I needed a filter kit for my lawn mower and took the opportunity to stop by Harbor Freight today. I could probably live in that store, love tools. Picked up a new detail gun with a 20% discount for $13.
Pretty great, right? The cashier put a flyer in my bag and when I got home it was for the Labor Day sale starting of course tomorrow. Same gun is $10.
Can't win them all but I have a new one now so good to go.
Today I'll probably be studying the plans and making notes on how I want to do certain parts. If I don't make the notes and have a good idea, by the time I get to it, it might be gone.
Tomorrow I'll be watching the KornFerry( old Web.com tour, PGA minor league) final golf golf tournament of the year at Victoria National G. C., Evansville IN. I know, it's off topic but United Leasing is sponsoring the tournament and my son produced the video ads so it's sort of a big deal to me.

J
Aug 29, 2019, 01:51 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
So mine isn't going to be this big but this is one heck of a Junkers. Frankly the bank angles scared me, maybe switch to low rates?
Landing rough but any landing that leaves no debris is a good landing.

GIANT RC JUNKERS JU-188 MAIDEN (10 min 51 sec)

J
Aug 29, 2019, 02:22 PM
Those are some pointy wing tips!!!!!! I'm assuming that's scale?
Aug 29, 2019, 02:42 PM
Back to Boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
Those are some pointy wing tips!!!!!! I'm assuming that's scale?
You assume correct!
Aug 29, 2019, 02:45 PM
Back to Boats
Quote:
Landing rough but any landing that leaves no debris is a good landing.

J
I want that guy to build the landing gear for all my planes!!!
Aug 29, 2019, 04:47 PM
Scale Builder
Hi John,

Regarding the wheels, as can be seen in the pics, they are nothing more than a 3d printed face that attaches to the existing (in this case Sullivan Skylight) hubs. We can probably do up something that would work on your choice of wheels as well. The weight of them is negligible.

As for the retracts I have a brand new set of giant scale rotaters made by Eurokit from Italy. All I have is the retract units themselves, no struts or any of the support equipment. They appear to be well made and very durable and, as a bonus, they are spring down in case of air loss. I have never been able to test them because they require fittings that are different than the stuff available here in the USA. Eurokit is still in business though and all the support equipment and fittings is readily available. I would be happy to donate them to your project if you are interested. Of course I understand if you do not want to bother.
Aug 29, 2019, 04:52 PM
Pro Hoarder
You can get the fitting and hoses in the US . They are Festo type fitting..The Euro Kit gear are pretty good. They even made a hydraulic system set. I have a smaller set from them. Only thing I didn't like is the set up for nose wheel steering..very fiddly with small ball bearings to install
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 29, 2019, 04:58 PM
Scale Builder
Good to know the fittings are available here in the USA, thank TN.
Aug 29, 2019, 09:12 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Chad,
That is certainly a gracious offer and I do appreciate it. Not saying I wouldn't use them but as of now I think I have the Springairs worked out to my satisfaction. Key words are "I think".
I'll know more soon and then can make a decision on the gear. I'm hoping the Springiars will work out because I have everything and the retracts, struts, and wheels will only be about a pound for each side.
I did get a pair of Dubro wheels in, they weigh 5 oz each so that pleased me. We may be able to make some scale 3D hub faces for them?
It might help the look a bit since nothing else on the gear will be scale.

Studies plans today and took copious notes.

J
Aug 30, 2019, 04:07 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Maybe this counts as building, maybe it doesn't. But once I get started I didn't want to be waiting on the tubes & sockets for the stab and fuse.
Using 1/4" arrow shafts for both. And Dag's method of making the sockets. Three coats of wax, 2 light coats of PVA. Then I used 3/4 oz glass and gave them about 2-3 wraps. Instead of cutting it 45 degrees to the bias, I just cut straight strips about 1.5" long and spiral wrap it while applying epoxy. So the cloth does lay at 45 degrees and wraps nice. This is much easier than trying to wrap a whole piece of glass around the arrow shaft. Tomorrow I will cut a slice down lengthwise , pop it off the tube, clean out the PVA from the inside of the socket I formed, and then lay it back on and tape the seam. Then a couple of wraps glassed again and it can cure out. The socket is formed.
The PVA needs to be cleaned out very well, if you leave any inside it will make the tube stick and stick well. I made one and made the mistake of not cleaning it all out, thought I was going to have to cut it off again! But it finally came off and I learned my lesson.
Hard to see in the glass in the pics but they are both done.
And have decided to use the big tubes for the wing. But only one, cut in half. That will give 6" into each side of the wing junction. I have some add'l reinforcement planned for the wing so that should work fine. And the tube & socket for the wing is 7.5 oz.

J
Aug 30, 2019, 05:24 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
I did get a pair of Dubro wheels in, they weigh 5 oz each so that pleased me. We may be able to make some scale 3D hub faces for them?

I am sure we can make up something to dress them up John. Just let me know the details of exactly which Dubro wheel you have and I will look into it. May need you to provide me with some accurate measurements if they are not available on the net.

If you change your mind regarding the retracts just say the word.
Aug 30, 2019, 07:05 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
OK, thanks Chad, will do but I think these SAs are going to work out.
As far as the wheel covers, wouldn't it be easier if I just sent you one of them?
And I plan on building up the strut to make it look beefy like the JU strut so the wheel covers( hubs) would enhance that effect too.

J
Aug 31, 2019, 05:35 AM
Watching the Concorde video earlier I noticed they had no gear doors and I didn't really feel the model suffered as a result.

With a straight retract will the bottom of the wheel protrude like on a Dakota or will it fit inside the JU88 nacelle?

You will probably have seen this video, but I thought people would find the engineering interesting.

Alec

Junkers Ju 88 Retractable Landing Gear (1 min 39 sec)
Aug 31, 2019, 07:23 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Hey Alec,
I have seen that video which made my mind up even more not to do scale gear. A nice feat of design and engineering.
I have several models w/o gear doors and honestly you hardly notice in flight. About the only time you do notice it is when the plane is
turned over to attach the wing.
I'm extending the Robart struts about 4" so I can raise the retract unit location up into the wing instead of in the lower portion of the nacelle as Smith's plans have it. That allows the wheel to retract all the way up to the top skin of the wing. Also cheating about 1/2" on the depth of the nacelle( deeper) at the rear and the result along with a 5" wheel instead of the scale 6" should let me hide all or almost all of the wheel. We're not going to Top Gun so I think that will work.
Have a bunch of stuff to get done around the homestead here before I go but I still think there will be a little time to sneak in a start on the 88.
Today I will remove the tubes for the sockets and complete those. Will be nice to have them done instead of waiting two days for them to cure during the build.

J

Quick Reply