Aug 27, 2019, 09:41 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Build Log

JU-88 A-1 116"ws from Don Smith plans

Well the shop is clean, didn't find anymore critters this morning, it's raining outside so I guess I'll get this party started.
The plan is to use DS plans for the basic build but it will be mostly in foam of course. Goal is a light weight large model.
I need to go back to the IL-2 build and refresh my memory on how I did it. The IL-2 has a ws of 90" and weighs 8.75 lbs with
TWO 4s-5000 batts. That is light! And it flies like it too, slow scale like speed. I don't like seeing a scale model of a WW II warbird
flying by at a scale speed of 700 mph.
I've scoured the net trying to find builds, there are a few. But they are all conventional balsa/ply IC builds and the lightest is around
40+ lbs. I even saw one that was 42 lbs and then it took 14 lbs of lead shot to balance! And yes, I don't think it ever flew.
In building an electric model either off plans or scratching one from a 3 view, I always figure the airframe weight is half the AUW.
The equipment usually equal the other half.
I'm going to be using two of the Turnigy SK3 motors( really like them). They are the 5065-236kv and on 8s-5000 lipos with a
Graupner Sonic 16x12x3 prop and gives a total of about 2300 watts. So if I can build it around 28 lbs, that gives 80 watts per pound
and should fly it just fine. Twins just don't need as much as singles.
Have been collecting parts and materials for awhile now and I think I have almost everything needed in shop. So once I get started
there shouldn't be any slowdowns. But of course don't expect much in the way of building until I return from St. George fly-in.
So we're talking late Sept before much gets done. Should be a good winter build.
Here are some of the things I've got to get started. Documentation is always important so I have several books from my library to help
and a friend emailed me some more on top of these. I didn't think I had the Squadron Vol 1 but did find it while cleaning the shop.
Planning on the Battle of Britain timeframe so that book will be handy.
I'll get into the plans and FG parts later.

J
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 10:07 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Cant wait! Such a neat project!
Aug 27, 2019, 10:08 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Have fun, J!
Aug 27, 2019, 10:17 AM
Subscribed!

raipe
Aug 27, 2019, 10:21 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
Cant wait! Such a neat project!
I will, thanks Tony!

It should be Nut. Wouldn't even have considered it if the canopy and nose blister weren't available. Here are the parts I purchased,
Have had them for several years now and just getting around to it.
This will give you an idea of size. It's big.
Jury is still out on using the supplied tube and sockets. They are over size for my type build and weigh 8 oz each, that's a pound
I'm not sure I want. Probably make my own.

J
Aug 27, 2019, 10:44 AM
Subbed!
Aug 27, 2019, 10:48 AM
Still Screamin'!
Hey John if you use those heavy duty sockets then I can fly it around inverted and do inverted loops
Aug 27, 2019, 11:06 AM
Pro Hoarder
Cool this one is going to be spectacular!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 27, 2019, 02:29 PM
Father by day, hacker by night
Congratulations with the new-found shop Looking forward to follow along here.
Aug 27, 2019, 03:27 PM
Classic jets rule
ahh to have a clean shop and all builds finished and ready to start a new one ......not sure I know how that would feel and it looks like you have your ducks in a roll, and are ready to start.
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Aug 27, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 04:01 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks guys

Bob,
Scale flight, didn't you read the opening statement?

AS,
Yes, very nice to be able to walk around w/o dodging crap all over the place. Still trying to organize a bit, get things I use the most closer to where I'm building.
A bonus is that I wound up with more shelf space, why I don't know. I think I was just throwing stuff around w/o putting it away but I did move some stuff to storage. I mean,if you don't use it in 10 years or more, do you really need it taking up space? Evidently not.
And sure is sweet sitting around in a clean shop.

J
Aug 27, 2019, 04:31 PM
Back to Boats
12th post in a John Morgan thread! A new record for me!

Aug 27, 2019, 04:41 PM
Your usual Aussie lurker is now here too
Aug 27, 2019, 04:48 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Welcome one and all.
I'll get the plans out tomorrow and look them over, show a few pics of them. Hate to get them out too early, hard to resist you know.

J
Aug 27, 2019, 07:37 PM
Scale Builder
Had to get subscribed to this one early. Fantastic subject and sure to be a real head turner when completed to your usual high standard. I am going to go out on a limb right now and predict that this will be one of your most impressive builds so far and one that is going to fly fantastic given your propensity to build light. I look forward to the finished product.

Quick Reply