Thread Tools
Aug 27, 2019, 08:13 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

New 3.0m F5j SynerJ wings - heading for bagging.


I've cut the cores for wings and will be bagging the first centre section this weekend I hope. Plan is to use 80GSM spread tow and additional reinforcement and to see how it turns out. Vacuum pump is working well and I've created build tables from 20mm mdf screwed down to 50x25 alloy extrusion to keep them flat. I'm going to lash out and buy some LFT for bagging and a proper vacuum port, unless I can think of an alternative. Even with CNC cutter, doing five sets of cores took a full day!
I'll try and remember all I have learned on this forum.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2019, 10:26 PM
pnc
pnc
Registered User
pnc's Avatar
So sweet to see ...

Looking forward to this thread

Pete
Sep 03, 2019, 08:36 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
tom43004's Avatar
Take.... many.... pictures....
Sep 03, 2019, 02:15 PM
Registered User
sunnybreeze's Avatar
I'm in! Take a lot of Pics and POST,POST,POST

Steve
Sep 06, 2019, 02:31 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
I'm just a beginner at this, but happy to take pics.
Sep 11, 2019, 08:32 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
I hope that these make sense. Wing joiners, tubes etc getting let into the cores. Sub-rib further out to help spread to load to the skins. Layup will also be structured to spread the loads. We're not making much attempt to keep the weight down - local conditions are usually quite windy and this will be our first high-performance glider - so extra strength seems a good idea.
Also spread-tow CF with patterns 3m77's to it. This is 'cheap' chinese spread tow - I would not buy it again. The weave is quite open and loose.
Sep 11, 2019, 10:57 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Braced root rib further:
Sep 12, 2019, 04:17 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Foam had large pin holes over all bonding surfaces. Root of wing sanded to angle and root rib/tube glued in place with epoxy and left to set. Bottom of wing taped with masking tape and then all gaps filled with laminating resin and Q-cells. Lightly waxed mylar laid over the top and taped down to conform to airfoil. This will hopefully create a large bearing/bonding surface to the skins.
Sep 12, 2019, 07:02 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Curtis Suter's Avatar
RaceMag,
I really like what you're doing so far. Would you mind expanding on how you fabricated the joiners and boxes?

Thanks
Curtis
Sep 12, 2019, 07:46 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Thank you Curtis, that is very kind.
I'm afraid that we're not expending too much care with this first wing ATM - we've never done a wing so thin and big before. The first one is a high school project for my 16YO son and as is often the case things are an ongoing experiment and we have to make do with what we have on hand and what I can show him how to do for the first time. The wing joiners are scarf-jointed 10mm x 6mm hard-wood with layers of 80GSM uni carbon top and bottom. This was covered with three layers of carbon braid and vacuum-bagged in a food sealer (the hardwood was chosen as it did not distort at all under vacuum and we could make two accurately and quickly. Subsequent wings will have different dihedral). The resultant carbon is around 1.5mm thick.
The boxes had me stumped for a little bit - normally I'd think of making a sleeve over the top with tape/braid, but time is of the essence and I was concerned that it might not release (we are pressed for time ATM due to the son's school project). So we used 10mm x 1mm carbon pultrusion top and bottom and end-grain 1.2mm marine ply on the sides of a box. We CA'd this together, removed it from the joiners and then added one layer of 200gsm CF and tightly wrapped this in a layer of 80GSM uni and vac-bagged it.
We always post-cure the parts in their food bags in the family oven at 50deg C. I suspect all of this is very crude, but seems to have worked well enough for now, neither Joseph or I could not crush a tube by hand.
Sep 12, 2019, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
mylars on Q-cells
Sep 14, 2019, 08:59 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
DIY vacuum port
Sep 14, 2019, 09:00 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Wing out of mylars - needs trimming. 1.3m span and around 400-450gm (too heavy).
Sep 16, 2019, 04:48 AM
I hate propellors
emufingers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMag
I've cut the cores for wings and will be bagging the first centre section this weekend I hope. Plan is to use 80GSM spread tow and additional reinforcement and to see how it turns out. Vacuum pump is working well and I've created build tables from 20mm mdf screwed down to 50x25 alloy extrusion to keep them flat. I'm going to lash out and buy some LFT for bagging and a proper vacuum port, unless I can think of an alternative. Even with CNC cutter, doing five sets of cores took a full day!
I'll try and remember all I have learned on this forum.
What program did you use to write the Gcode. I am having trouble with symmetry of wing pairs using the drela excel foam7 program?
Sep 16, 2019, 06:58 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
I'm using devwing foam and dev foam LE. Not cheap, but works well and the interface with the arduino Mega was excellent. I could not get the excel program to work and spent the money.
Last edited by RaceMag; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:25 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Journey F5J - SynerJ 2.5m design JMF11 Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 55 Feb 09, 2019 02:03 AM
Discussion SynerJ based wings for ALES and general soaring G_T Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 105 Dec 15, 2018 02:35 AM
Discussion MILVUS F5j home build Synerj based miquel Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 17 Mar 08, 2018 07:50 AM
Build Log My new 1.0m flying wing wzg_zxl Flying Wings 1 Apr 07, 2016 06:18 PM