Aug 26, 2019, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

First helicopter build

As title states, going to start my first heli build soon. Already have 243 and 648 locktite. Question is what grease to use. Downloaded the manual and read thru it, and only mentions grease, but not a specific type. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Shoveopoly; Aug 26, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2019, 07:48 PM
Flying helis since 1978
What heli ?
Aug 26, 2019, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Started as an ALZRC X360, but took a month to leave banggood and is on the very slow boat from China. so ordered an Align Trex 470LP, and should be delivered by Wednesday. Yeah, sorry I left that part out.
Last edited by Shoveopoly; Aug 26, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 02:26 PM
I would look into what the R/C car guys are using to lubricate plastic gears although the only gears you want to lube will be the tail gears. For bearings and main shaft where the swashplane slides I always used a product called Tri Flow. Do not use any Loctite on plastic parts.
Aug 27, 2019, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
I use Traxxas lithium grease in the diffs of my RC truck, and just found some Traxxas thrust bearing lube. also have some bearing oil, so should be all set. Thanks for your help.
Aug 29, 2019, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveopoly
...also have some bearing oil...
I’m sure you know this but don’t “oil” any bearings that are sealed or packed with grease.

Also, the edges and openings in the CF frames on the 470l are very sharp from the factory. Make sure to round off all edges that might contact any wiring. Best to do this before you start assembly. Don’t go crazy with the sandpaper, just dull the edges.
Last edited by Helique; Aug 29, 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Aug 29, 2019, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Was thinking more for any bushing there might be. Manual mentions smoothing frame where wires pass thru. Good thing I know where wife's stash of emery boards is located.
Aug 30, 2019, 11:18 AM
Teleport User
Keep on eye while do wiring stuff the electronics, sometime they have different places between signal, ground, positive and negative power line. Mine got toasted because of this . Good luck and have fun with the build!
Sep 28, 2019, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Its built and set up, ready for test flight. Got a super combo and added a Spirit FBL, and using Frsky radio.
Sep 29, 2019, 08:14 AM
I hope it flies as good as it looks good luck!
Sep 29, 2019, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Maiden was going good until the landing. With constant head speed and more negative collective than my 230S, landing was a little hard. Only a minor crash, with landing gear, blades, and a few teeth missing from main gear. Cheap fix. What a nice flying machine this Trex 470L is.
Sep 29, 2019, 11:30 AM
I don't land mine, I catch them instead... saves on damage J/K! try hovering in front of yourself, tail in, and just barely reduce the pitch so it "floats" down, if it's not windy I hit th about a foot or 18 inches up, with wind I fly it to the ground and give it a touch of negative pitch to hold it there then hit th.
Sep 29, 2019, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
I should contact Yad Tech heli division, I'm sure they have something that could help me
Sep 29, 2019, 12:13 PM
I know a parachute would do it... just link it to the TH switch, fly up to 300 feet and pop it.. problem solved!
Sep 29, 2019, 12:25 PM
Genius man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveopoly
I should contact Yad Tech heli division, I'm sure they have something that could help me
Bro, we hover then gently reduce collective and let the heli settle down for a gentle touch down then hit throttle hold or do a baby auto by hitting throttle hold about 2 to 3 feet up then gently increase collective to have a soft touch down, just like Wayne Moyer says. On windy days apply a very little negative pitch to keep the heli down after touch down. If you are using OpenTx, you can have the Tx beep once when the collective goes to zero pitch (mid stick) and greatly helps as it lets you know when the stick passes zero pitch. I have set my Taranis QX7S this way.
Last edited by denis747; Sep 29, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply