Aug 26, 2019, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie Second flight help

So I received a Dynam Primo for free and got everything working correctly. Took off for my first flight, probably a bit to windy, 1st mistake. Was able to get it flying , but I think I was using to much stick in turns and banking to sharp, than over compensating to get it back to level, total newbie move I know.

Would it be ok to turn the throw down on the ailerons so that if I do push to much stick I won't crash, which I almost did quit a few times. But I managed to land ok without breaking anything, So I guess you could call it a success.

Or maybe it was just to windy for my first flight?

There is no place close by to get training.

So I'm on my own.

I have flown small park flyers and little bit of experience with 400 size electric heli's. And I have 2 drones.

Any Tips would be very helpful.

Thanks,
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2019, 08:14 AM
You covered the main point, - don't fly when it's too windy.

Does your transmitter have 'rate' switches ?, if so that's the best place to reduce the control throws, not mechanically on the plane, unless the transmitter has no rates switches.

Aug 26, 2019, 09:12 AM
Thread OP
Yes it does have rates. So I will reduce them some.

Thanks, jjp
Aug 26, 2019, 09:53 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Yes , for beginners : calm conditions are best . In most places , the best chance for calm conditions are at sun-up .

Also , if your transmitter has expo : program some expo into the control surfaces .... especially ailerons . Expo will soften the control surface response from the stick movements .

And if you haven't already done so , practice on an RC simulator . RC hobby shops will often have demo sims that you can try , or you can get free sims for PC . You can also get free sim apps for touchscreen mobile devices .
Aug 27, 2019, 03:38 PM
B for Bruce
If it's REALLLY touchy a better option to reducing the rates is to start by moving the pushrods to a hole further out on the control horn. That will mechanically reduce your throw which, for a number of reasons, is a better first step. After that go ahead and use the rate switches and perhaps expo to further reduce the throw and sensitivity around neutral.
Sep 12, 2019, 11:49 AM
Roger that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
You covered the main point, - don't fly when it's too windy.

Does your transmitter have 'rate' switches ?, if so that's the best place to reduce the control throws, not mechanically on the plane, unless the transmitter has no rates switches.
X2, but at least you didn't crash, therefore gained experience and nothing to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Yes , for beginners : calm conditions are best . In most places , the best chance for calm conditions are at sun-up .

Also , if your transmitter has expo : program some expo into the control surfaces .... especially ailerons . Expo will soften the control surface response from the stick movements .

And if you haven't already done so , practice on an RC simulator . RC hobby shops will often have demo sims that you can try , or you can get free sims for PC . You can also get free sim apps for touchscreen mobile devices .
X2, this has helped me a LOT! I have the HH edition RealFlight8, but 9 is out now, any of them will help greatly and once you're doing ok, there's options to increase wind, gusts, etc.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/categor...alflight-brand
Sep 12, 2019, 03:20 PM
Too much stick movement is the normal beginner problem and, rather than modify your model, since you managed to land in one piece I would just practice making smaller, smoother, stick movements.

As others have said, less wind is better initially, and some expo on your transmitter aileron channel might be a help.
Sep 12, 2019, 08:08 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
If you fly in calm conditions, you will learn how your plane flys. If it flys erratically, then you know it is YOU. You’re likely over controlling it.

If you fly fine with calm weather but have trouble flying in wind, then you are learning how poorly your plane reacts to wind and gusts.

If you maiden a plane in the wind, then you don’t know either.
Sep 12, 2019, 08:18 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Just in case you’d like a refresher on rates and expo, check out this video. Fast forward to 8:30 for a nice graphic demo on what these do.

Flite Test - Expos and Dual Rates - FLITE TIP (10 min 17 sec)

Quick Reply