Aug 25, 2019, 03:28 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Discussion

Thrust Stand Ideas Please ..................

Picture and ideas welcome.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 03:32 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I use a simple fishing type scale mounted to the top of my shop door, hang the model from the tail and opened the throttle with a watt meter attached.

Not too scientific, but then again it is static and only a good guide.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:03 AM
Built this from some scrap wood, it ain't pretty but neither is it difficult to make. Motor goes on the opposite end to the scale pulling up and pushing down on the scale. Elastic band around the end to cushion the contact against the scale.

It does require a counterweight to the motor/ESC weight for the best measurement of the motor thrust alone. Although if you're interested in pure thrust/weight for vertical climbing you can load up the motor end with the ESC and battery as well.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:44 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
My system:

25 lb digital kitchen scale
10 lb barbell weight
3-ft long 2x2 lumber (vertical spike),

Whittled the 2x2 to fit the hole in the barbell weight and mount the motor on other end. The weighted vertical spike just sits on the scale, motor on top. When possible I install the prop to push down on the scale (propwash up). Some props don't fit that way so then I pull up against the weight, but I have to install a blast protector to keep the propwash off the scale. I just stack some 2x4s across and above the scale for that purpose.

I have a dedicated battery, receiver and esc attached to the spike and insert a wattmeter during the testing. One reason for the long spike is to put the plane of the spinning prop well above my head for safety purposes. It also keeps the motor/prop out in clean air away from surface interferences. I like it. Doing it again, I wouldn't change anything.

I don't always use the test electronics. When building a plane I typically mount all the proposed electronics on the spike and testing confirms all the parts work with each other. I find the actual battery has a big influence on thrust results. Often more than a prop change.

Quick Reply