Aug 24, 2019, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

BVM Sport Shark Viojet

Well, I'm almost ready for a maiden on this one. I picked it up for a decent price without fan unit. I decided to go with a fan I've had for a little while which is the new VASA Models 120mm 14 blade new version. So far the plane is 10.5lbs without packs and the previous owner had weight in the nose flying on 10 cell. I figure I would try my luck on 12s for this baby. Also, does anyone know if the Cortex Gyro will not have an issue with flaperons? I didn't realize it was flaperon, I thought it was close to my original Aggressor.
Latest blog entry: "Is that a Turbine?" Not...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2019, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
I tried the electric JP brakes but it would not work with the Robart struts and I noticed on my Stingray I recently picked up just so having the complete wheel, strut and brake setup so I swapped the wheels and breaks out. Perfect fit! Also, I was not able to find the original manual for this plane and the previous owner has sent me info however it's always good to have the original manual.
Aug 25, 2019, 05:32 AM
Lee Liddle
Nice job!
Best of luck on your maiden flight.
Aug 25, 2019, 10:12 AM

Sport Shark

Great flying airplane on 90-120 sized fans. 12s will move out nice. My Shark has flaps so guess it depends on the builder. If you donít want to modify wing you could always add a airbrake on the belly pan as I did on my Viper.

Good luck on the maiden.
Latest blog entry: Me262
Aug 25, 2019, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder
Great flying airplane on 90-120 sized fans. 12s will move out nice. My Shark has flaps so guess it depends on the builder. If you donít want to modify wing you could always add a airbrake on the belly pan as I did on my Viper.

Good luck on the maiden.
Maybe I'll try the belly pan mod if there is one?
Aug 28, 2019, 06:41 PM
If you haven't flown it yet, good luck on the maiden. After all, it was designed with flaperon and performs very well in that configuration. Flew mine for 3 years with flaperon before conversion to aileron and flap, which handle crosswind landings a little better.
Aug 28, 2019, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
If you haven't flown it yet, good luck on the maiden. After all, it was designed with flaperon and performs very well in that configuration. Flew mine for 3 years with flaperon before conversion to aileron and flap, which handle crosswind landings a little better.
Ahh! Okay, I'm still working on the wheel brakes at this moment. I'm trying to have it ready for this weekend.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
Well, I was nervous about flying her with my 12s Thunder Power Packs so I opt for Lectron Pros 5200 super-lite packs. These put me exactly at 14 lbs so, although I was super nervous my first flight went well. She pitched straight up and rolled slightly right so I gave her about 6 clicks down and 5 clicks left. Afterward, she flew pretty straight. She's also a little sensitive on the ailerons which I had to put it in low rates. In all, she flew really well, so well that I really didn't need the gyro however after she was level I turned it on. I gotta tell you that she is super slippery and glides very long. Since we had a slight breeze I decided not to go with the flaperons however I think there's no way around it with how she glided today. Anyway, I was able to put on two flights today. The first flight I was too nervous to actually and hammer her down but on the second flight, I felt better controlling her and moving her around.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:58 PM
Congratulations! Good to see another first generation BVM sportjet flying electric. I think it is worth investigating as to why you're 5-6 clicks out They fly really well when dialed in
Sep 16, 2019, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
Congratulations! Good to see another first generation BVM sportjet flying electric. I think it is worth investigating as to why you're 5-6 clicks out They fly really well when dialed in
Thanks, I'll have to look into that.
Last edited by demetrius; Sep 16, 2019 at 11:16 PM.
Sep 25, 2019, 09:13 AM
Any video? How fat did it land? I have an Aggressor that is 15 pounds and seems very very heavy
Sep 25, 2019, 10:55 AM
Your Aggressor(early generation) was designed to fly at 9-12 lbs AUW. The OP's plane weighs 10.5 lbs without batteries.
Another RCG member is flying his (10s) at 16 lbs. AUW.
We are limited in how much weight we can carry by the available wing area. Some folks don't mind flying overweight
Sep 25, 2019, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishfool
Any video? How fat did it land? I have an Aggressor that is 15 pounds and seems very very heavy
It landed fine. I have not tried the flaperon setup however it glides for a while. I plan to up the weight by just over a half-pound with 6000 to 6500 but not with Thunder Power type packs.

Quick Reply