Sep 20, 2019, 01:41 AM
It’s because of this thread that I ordered the 90mm F-86 from the same vendor. Received it this week and I’m pretty excited about this challenge. I’m very happy with how that kit looks that I ordered the Mirage as well. Who knows? Maybe I’ll even build a wooden kit one day. ...or not.

Reminds me of the old GWS days.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 06:44 AM
Fly it like you're in it
Post your build over on the thread that 4stripes started for that kit https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-on-Aliexpress
I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention
Sep 20, 2019, 08:29 AM
Thanks. Subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlyn
Post your build over on the thread that 4stripes started for that kit https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-on-Aliexpress
I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention
Sep 20, 2019, 03:09 PM

If using 90gr Wemo evo 90mm fan, there are
Some light motors that make nice and lightweight 90mm fan... for hand launching :-)

1/ FMS black motor ,
3546 1900kv, 6S, 170gr

2/ Xflight silver/ black motor ,
P1600kv , 6S, 140gr

The fan combo will be only 250gr to 270gr .
Nice and light for this mirage.

Sep 20, 2019, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Driver
Itís because of this thread that I ordered the 90mm F-86 from the same vendor. Received it this week and Iím pretty excited about this challenge. Iím very happy with how that kit looks that I ordered the Mirage as well. Who knows? Maybe Iíll even build a wooden kit one day. ...or not.

Reminds me of the old GWS days.
GWS kits all come with building instructions and whatever I maidened GWS kits, almost no trim was needed and all flew well.

This kit looks nice, but I don't see the instruction manual, no cg info, significant upward thrust angle. It will be an adventure to build this bird and make her fly.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:31 PM

I remember there is an online edf caculator
That caclulates many things like Exhaust
FSA, Wingloading, CG... just provide info
about You plane ... it will caclulate, and you get it.

Sep 21, 2019, 01:12 AM

How to find CG for this deltawing Mirage

1/ first find MAC line
2/ then Find the CG

From leading edge:
15% of MAC line for beginner/testing
20% all around
25% for expert.

More info here. How to ;-)
https://www.airfieldmodels.com/infor...amic_chord.htm

Or here
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.ph...ta-wing.34072/

Last edited by flylow2011; Sep 21, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 04:13 PM

How to find MAC on the wing, geometrically

Oct 08, 2019, 09:12 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Plane arrived today. Did a quickie unboxing, foam looks decent but hardware is every bit as poor as the FlyFly stuff....maybe even worse. Gonna be a slow build only because time is mandating it. Pics will follow the build.
Oct 09, 2019, 09:44 PM
Cool. Looking forward to it. I have this one but am working on their F-86 right now. Already starting to see that the Mirage should be a little bit easier plus Iíll be able to apply some of my new found skills from the F-86 build on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff
Plane arrived today. Did a quickie unboxing, foam looks decent but hardware is every bit as poor as the FlyFly stuff....maybe even worse. Gonna be a slow build only because time is mandating it. Pics will follow the build.
Oct 10, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
It pays to buy a bunch of your own hardware for these type of builds. HK has a good selection of hinges and control horns, servos, retracts and legs. I do like the FW linkage sets for control rods and clevises but they are bought from RCCastle or MotionRC. Some CF rods of varying sizes is also on hand along with some thin plywood and hardwood rails.
In the end you have a model to be proud of that will last.
Oct 10, 2019, 09:51 AM

The Freewing Mirage 2000 has very nice
ducting VS this Mirage.

Oct 10, 2019, 10:50 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
It pays to buy a bunch of your own hardware for these type of builds. HK has a good selection of hinges and control horns, servos, retracts and legs. I do like the FW linkage sets for control rods and clevises but they are bought from RCCastle or MotionRC. Some CF rods of varying sizes is also on hand along with some thin plywood and hardwood rails.
In the end you have a model to be proud of that will last.
Completely agree. And I donít feel cheated by their essentially-useless included hardware; this is one of the conditions of buying a less-than-mainstream model. In the end, we build to the standard WE decide anyway, regardless of whatís included. And you are absolutely correct, observing we wind up with a model that we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
The Freewing Mirage 2000 has very nice
ducting VS this Mirage.
Also agree - this has, for all intents and purposes, no ducting. That lovely huge battery box effectively closes off the inlet tracts - so much so that either radical surgery of the batt box will be mandatory, or cheaters ((ala) FlyFly) will be. Maybe both. The plane is pretty lightweight for an EPO molding; substantially less than the Freewing. But time, and construction, will determine if thatís a bonus or a penalty.

Still. When you do your first FF Mirage, you frequently ask yourself ďwhat were they thinking?Ē, only to discover that maybe things arenít as awful as they first appear. So, holding out an open mind that this plane will - ultimately - be as much of a joy as the FFís have been. Certainly, they each enhance your creativity skills, as corrections and improvements over the supplied equipment becomes essential.

Painting the finished model will be a challenge. This plane is some slick foam.
Oct 10, 2019, 11:00 AM
Someone recommended to use Kilz2 as a primer for this type of foam. I tested it out on my HSD- F-86 and it seems to do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff
Painting the finished model will be a challenge. This plane is some slick foam.
Oct 10, 2019, 11:46 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Great news! OK, that gets that out of the way. Thanks for posting that up.

Getting a bit deeper look at the plane today. That batt box is absurdly big - could likely fit 2 - 6s 5000ís side-by-side in there and still have some room for fat fingers. Lots of molding flash, parts will need some careful trimming just to fit up. Wings are flat-bottomed - didnít expect to find that. The wheel wells are integral to the fuselage molding, and appear to be crazy deep....like, at least 1Ē. Way more than should be needed, which means they probably can be trimmed down some too, and present less obstruction to the inlet airstream. There is a peculiar squared off opening right in front of the wheel wells, might be a junction-box for wiring access, will require a cover when done.

Weirdest yet is the angled-upward exhaust nozzle - left alone, I think the plane would do immediate loops on throttle-up. Easy to fix......but, What Were They Thinking?

Quick Reply