Sep 06, 2019, 06:40 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert

Thank you, Eddie!

Your eval here is great - looking forward to what you find in this. Another big Mirage is always welcome, especially if it looks right and flies better.

Still curious what the basic airframe will weigh.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 07:16 PM
Foam addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff
Your eval here is great - looking forward to what you find in this. Another big Mirage is always welcome, especially if it looks right and flies better.

Still curious what the basic airframe will weigh.
+1
I think we need more of this type of basic kit aircraft!
Sep 06, 2019, 08:19 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Stripes, did you get one too? I follow your builds with real interest since your solutions are straightforward and work like they should. Hoping you are able to add to this one. Still love the looks of the Freewing but not the gawkish decals they’ve stuck all over it.
Sep 06, 2019, 11:00 PM

First impression of the QT 90mm kit

Just unwrapped all the parts, including all the accessories, the net weight of kit is around 880 g.

No instruction manual. Remind me exactly of the Dragonhobby/Starmax 90mm F-18C kit. The surface has the similar light greasy feel.

Battery compartment width 95mm. For perspective, Glacier 5300mah 6s 35c has width of ~60mm, Another 6200mah pack width of 50mm. Probably will narrow and lengthen the battery compartment

Fuselage was designed around the large belly cheater hole in front of the fan unit.

The scale intake is significantly blocked by the battery compartment, as expected from the location and width of the compartment.

Fan unit is very close to the exhaust, similar or closer than FF kit, not easy to replace without modification.

Significant upward thrust angle from the exhaust. to counterbalance the downdraft from the large cheater hole?

The cheater area is 180mm x 80mm. Cheater grill is not provided. A little disappointed. But TWO of FW F-5 cheater grills will cover the cheater hole perfectly

The underside of the wing is almost perfect flat, unlike FW or FF kit.

Nose cone has hollow part designed for pitot tube but pitot tube is not included. Should be an easy fix with fiberglass rods.

Wing is designed for wiring of LED lights for wing and V stab.

Nose gear compartment 205mm long, main gear compartment 190mm long. Allowing fairly long legs or bigger wheels
Last edited by edwen303; Sep 07, 2019 at 03:01 AM.
Sep 06, 2019, 11:36 PM

Nice review...
What is the exhaust diameter ?

Sep 07, 2019, 02:32 AM
Exhaust diameter 86mm
Sep 07, 2019, 06:36 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert

Mmm....

It does look good from side profile; not too deep in section. Wing rake seems pretty close when looking down on plan view. There does appear to be some upward angle of the exhaust nozzle when viewed from the side....but that might just be perspective from pic. Overall, this doesn’t look too bad, and weight really not very far off from spec, too.

Who knows?. Maybe you guys have found the new replacement for the EF-16. Wouldn’t that be sweet!
Sep 07, 2019, 03:26 PM

Wow....
It looks nice.
Hope It would fly as good as it looks.

Still wonder what are these two sockets
On the wings for... ( on top of green
Letter A in the photo)

Sep 07, 2019, 03:33 PM

Hope this new CS 12 blade 90mm V4 fan
Will fit this Mirage

I have the SK3 1600kv with 6S unused.
Maybe get a Wemo evo 90mm fan for it.
But I love the whoosy sound of the CS edf..

Sep 07, 2019, 03:36 PM
Foam addict
Thread OP
PikeStaff,
I don’t have one or have one on order but it certainly has my interest peaked. I already have a spare FlyFly kit on the shelf “just-in-case” our first comes to an untimely end.
I might just get this kit and go with something different like the KFIR or Cheetah if my father has any interest.
Cheers
Sep 07, 2019, 03:41 PM
Foam addict
Thread OP
Flylow2011, could you please take a direct shot from above from a distance to see the true wing shape.
Thanks
I don’t like the exhaust being deflected upward so much (or at all) and would have to fix that but foam is so easy to work with. It would make a good TV candidate using perhaps the one from the Flexjet.
Sep 07, 2019, 03:54 PM

If built it light with SK3 1600kv
69A, 6S 4000, 1600w, 2700gr thrust

Airframe 900gr
sk3 1600kv. 250gr
Wemo evo 100gr
3 servos 45gr
Wires 100gr
RX 6 channel 10gr
Battery 600gr
Retracts 250gr
No paint yet.

AUW would be around 2300gr.
That would be close to 1:1 thrust/weight rario
As 2700gr × 0.8 = 2160gr thrust.
:-)
Sep 07, 2019, 04:14 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011

Wow....
It looks nice.
Hope It would fly as good as it looks.

Still wonder what are these two sockets
On the wings for... ( on top of green
Letter A in the photo)

As Eric said earlier, it looks to be a pocket for all the wings wiring connections (which is really cool) however, it's unlikely that anyone would set up for removable wings on this jet
I'm not that familiar with HSD's electronics, but it seems odd to have a gear door/ light sequencer for each wing, though I have seen that some HSD retracts do have one external board for all three retract units .
Sep 07, 2019, 08:46 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert

Ahh, man.

Couldn’t resist. Just had to buckle under and buy one. They say delivery on/about 15 October, which is fine by me, gives me time to get back to gorgeous Florida. Not sure yet just how to equip this one; JetFan or Wemo, HET/Neu/ARC, 6s/8s/10s....lots to think thru. It will join the FF there so there won’t be a Mirage shortage in North FL.

Really stinks to have some inherent weakness to certain airframes. A-4’s, F-86’s, F-4’s, Mirages. You’d think one would be enough. But - No.

Quick Reply