Sep 02, 2019, 12:06 AM
That is very fast! Mine is still in China.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2019, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lueke
I have one on the way and is supposed to arrive Tuesday. I am going out of town for ten days on Wednesday, so I might have a chance to look in the box to see how it looks, but thatís about all.

Looking forward to seeing your
Report, photos about this kit...
Thx.

Sep 02, 2019, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
That is very fast! Mine is still in China.

Good to hear you are getting the kit.
Do you think the roburst FW Avanti 80mm
retracts are fine for this mirage ?
Sep 02, 2019, 02:20 AM
Don't have those Avanti gears but saw them in action, should handle fine for the Mirage. Keep positive AOA on the ground is the key for easy rotation takeoff.
Sep 02, 2019, 09:07 AM
If the Avanti gear geometry fits the cutouts without a lot of fiddling, they should work. I put a set on my Fiat G-91 and they work good on pavement.
Sep 02, 2019, 09:36 AM

HK retract

Talking about retracts, HK has much cheaper options: For models ~2.5 kg flying weight (FMS 1400mm warbirds and 90mm EDF):
Sep 02, 2019, 09:46 AM
Oleo legs from Freewing F-4, F-14, or F-18, Stinger are pretty sturdy and good scale look for nose leg in this Mirage
Last edited by edwen303; Sep 02, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Sep 02, 2019, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lueke
If the Avanti gear geometry fits the cutouts without a lot of fiddling, they should work. I put a set on my Fiat G-91 and they work good on pavement.

I think of the Avanti retracts because
The Avanti is known as great for grass
Operations, taking off and landing.
So if they fit this mirage, it will be great then

Sep 03, 2019, 04:13 PM
Mine didn’t get delivered today, so it will sit at post office until I get back from trip. Someone else will get to have the first look.
Sep 04, 2019, 12:23 AM

Hopefully, the Freewing Mirage 80mm retracts
Are the drop in on this Mirage or just need some
Simple modifications.

Sep 04, 2019, 10:15 PM
The delivery required signature so I have to wait for picking up at USPS tomorrow.

This bird might be slightly heavier than FW Mirage, so might need beefier legs and retracts than FW setup.
Sep 05, 2019, 11:07 AM

First impression unboxed but not unwrapped

Package picked up. Double boxed. It is EPO kit. All parts carefully wrapped and taped individually, except the wing halves. Hardware included looks okay.
Two pieces of wings pars included
Retract mount looks like 3D printed, needing some epoxy to reinforce.
Very impressed with the size
EPO foam quality reminds me of the Starmax 90mm F-18
Only "complaint": The refueling tube is completely made of foam lol. I wouldn't be using it anyway, plus I have one from 75mm HSD J-10. Looks like another template for Mirage III mod.

Hobbyking retract fits perfectly as follows:
Last edited by edwen303; Sep 05, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
Sep 05, 2019, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
Package picked up. Double boxed. It is EPO kit. All parts carefully wrapped and taped individually, except the wing halves. Hardware included looks okay.
Two pieces of wings pars included
Retract mount looks like 3D printed, needing some epoxy to reinforce.
Very impressed with the size
EPO foam quality reminds me of the Starmax 90mm F-18
Only "complaint": The refueling tube is completely made of foam lol. I wouldn't be using it anyway, plus I have one from 75mm HSD J-10. Looks like another template for Mirage III mod.

Hobbyking retract fits perfectly as follows:

Nice....

What is the weight of the kit, foam only with 3d printed stuffs
700gr as in the specs listed?

Thx

Sep 05, 2019, 09:24 PM
That will simply buff out
Is the Canopy included - could not see it in the pictures?
Sep 06, 2019, 01:08 AM
Haven't got chance unwrapping all the protections. But won't be surprised the total weight of foam parts be around that claimed "700 grams". All the accessories weighs almost nothing, including the retract mounts.
The part count for this Mirage is very low, a good thing. Still remember the first time I unboxed Starmax F-18C kits, all I could see were just pieces of foam. This Mirage have so few parts, should be easy build, just need some planning.

BH: Canopy is included, still in package.

I felt this kit should not be heavier, or even lighter, than Flyfly Mirage. The quality is much better than FF, not to mention the scale look. Boys: there are only a few left in Aliexpress site, get it before it is gone or wait to restock. This is the builder's kit, with much better status than FF kit.

I do like the less swept delta wing in Flyfly Mirage, the handling is much better than Freewing Mirage.
Although similar highly swept wing, would expect the handling of this Mirage (wingspan 950mm) similar or little better than FW (790mm), because of the larger wing area (~40% more) and hopefully smaller wing loading. My goal will be under or around 3 kg AUW for this bird

Wouldn't be surprised this Mirage needs cheater hole, which I have quite a collection of Freewing Cheater grills to fit in

Would give more detail tomorrow evening once after work
Last edited by edwen303; Sep 06, 2019 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply