Aug 28, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
Gliders are another story, we sometimes need to be uncoordinated for specific situations.
Can you elaborate on those situations?

When trying to thermal, I often find that I am trying to turn with the rudder and then using counter ailerons to keep the playing from dipping.

When I write it out like that, it seems like a bad idea.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2019, 01:05 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Well not just gliders. Slips and skids can be useful when done with sufficient airspeed. A little rudder in the turn to tighten it while keeping the the wings more level will allow more lift to be used for climbing. There is a point of diminishing returns as you increase drag beyond the added lift gained. Crossed controls can be used to increase descent angle without increasing airspeed. The main point is whenever you have an uncoordinated situation your likelyhood of spinning goes up and your efficiency goes down.
Aug 28, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
Well not just gliders. Slips and skids can be useful when done with sufficient airspeed. A little rudder in the turn to tighten it while keeping the the wings more level will allow more lift to be used for climbing. There is a point of diminishing returns as you increase drag beyond the added lift gained. Crossed controls can be used to increase descent angle without increasing airspeed. The main point is whenever you have an uncoordinated situation your likelyhood of spinning goes up and your efficiency goes down.

This is getting far beyond the scope of the original question, but...

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...es/31453#31453

In actual practice just moving the ailerons and rudder together in a synchronized manner would be a good starting point for flying an rc glider.
Aug 28, 2019, 07:02 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Yes it is a very small amount of rudder to optimize. The reality is that it is impossible to get the kind of precision, obtained in full scale, needed when operating a model from the ground. The best you can hope for is to make it look right. The key is, avoid obvious cross controlled/uncoordinated conditions when flying near stall speed. This is especially true in the case of landing. Using the rudder only in aircraft with only mild dihedral to make your turn to final is just asking for a spin.

Quick Reply