Aug 25, 2019, 02:54 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
I now have the "listen" in place before sending the telemetry data, and not sending it if the channel is in use.
I've also added setting failsafe using the button on the Rx.

Range seems comparable as far as I've been able to test it so far. I'll need a trip to the flying field to do a full test in range check mode.

At present I'm looking at the D8R, D8R-II, D8R-II plus and D8R-XP, most of which I'll be able to test. I may be able to do the X8R and X6R in due course. I'll need to add SPort handling for them. Without having actual receivers to test with, I can't really put this firmware on any others.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
I have no idea, I don't have any V8FR-II receivers so I don't know what processor is on them.

Mike
I shall open the one I have and look inside to make a picture and post it here. May be it is flashable to.

I found this on uutuube
RSSI from V8FRII FrSKY receiver (3 min 1 sec)
may be its usefull.
Last edited by Paul1969; Aug 25, 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 03:13 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanRy
Midelic has announced to release a Frsky D16 DIY receiver a couple of years ago (I guess it was based on STM32 chip), but for whatever reason it has never happened.
The reason is was never released is that it wasn't performing well enough.
As some wise Man once said, "Hope is the last to die"

Joćo
Aug 25, 2019, 03:55 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
Quick answer for the V8FR-II is "very unlikely". It is using a single chip for CPU and RF (CC2510). This is not an ARM (or an ATMEL AVR) processor so will need a completely new firmware build environment and the code would probably need a significant re-write.

Mike
Aug 26, 2019, 01:26 AM
Hi Mike ,
Nice Job.
@JanRy
That DIY project did not see the light because of HW problems.The RF modules we found on the market at that time did not deliver the expected performance.If I find better RF modules I may resume that project.
Last edited by midelic; Aug 26, 2019 at 01:43 AM.
Aug 26, 2019, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic
That DIY project did not see the light because of HW problems.The RF modules we found on the market at that time did not deliver the expected performance.If I find better RF modules I may resume that project.
Hi midelic, I don't want to hijack Mike's thread. I've seen this module recently and it looks like a suitable candidate. That's the reason for my question about DIY option.
Aug 26, 2019, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanRy
Hi midelic, I don't want to hijack Mike's thread. I've seen this module recently and it looks like a suitable candidate. That's the reason for my question about DIY option.
Your link doesn't shown any module.. But I think I know what you mean.. You're not the only one searching all the time

Better we can continue this subject on the DIY RX thread, to keep Mike's thread clean

Joćo
Aug 26, 2019, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa
Your link doesn't shown any module
Joćo
Is this better: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294...c00Mjq4SZ&mp=1 ?
Aug 26, 2019, 07:30 AM
Yes, that is the one I thought.. we have seen it

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
Aug 27, 2019, 05:45 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
I now have firmware running on a D8R-II that appears to be fully functional. I've still to do a full range check.
If there is anyone who is prepared to also test this, I'll post the firmware. Remember, once you flash this new firmware you won't be able to go back to the original FrSky D8 firmware so I can't 100% guarantee you won't end with an unusable Rx.

Mike
Aug 27, 2019, 09:45 PM
65 years of RC flying

FrSky D16 firmware for D8 receivers

I have several D8 receivers unused for several years. Would a D4R be a good one to try?
Aug 28, 2019, 04:35 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
I now have firmware running on a D8R-II that appears to be fully functional. I've still to do a full range check.
If there is anyone who is prepared to also test this, I'll post the firmware. Remember, once you flash this new firmware you won't be able to go back to the original FrSky D8 firmware so I can't 100% guarantee you won't end with an unusable Rx.

Mike
My rangetest quad and 2 D8 are ready to test this weekend. I assume, SBus failsafe and lost frame flag are working. Otherwise I have to set lost quad flag
Aug 28, 2019, 04:59 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
Daedalus66: I don't have a D4R so I haven't tried that Rx, only tried a D8R-II.

Allerhopp: Don't assume anything!
I would advise doing some full range checking before attempting to fly anything.
As of now, the SBUS output should send the set failsafe values (need to double check it does), but I'm not setting any flags in the last bytes. I need to check which bits they are!
Also, I'm not sure what the SBUS output will be when the Rx is first switched on, before it receives any data from the Tx. The servo outputs should be "no pulse".

Mike
Last edited by Mike Blandford; Aug 28, 2019 at 05:15 AM.
Aug 28, 2019, 07:27 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
As of now, the SBUS output should send the set failsafe values (need to double check it does), but I'm not setting any flags in the last bytes. I need to check which bits they are!
Also, I'm not sure what the SBUS output will be when the Rx is first switched on, before it receives any data from the Tx. The servo outputs should be "no pulse".
Seems there is no SBus signal at all until TX is online.

Alternatively I can fly the copter with 900MHz and take a D8 RX as passenger onboard. Logging RSSI with a second TX and merge the logfiles to see distance vs. RSSI. If lost frames flag is available in SBus it can be logged too. RSSI together with lost frames vs. distance gives a good performance information
Aug 28, 2019, 09:00 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
I'm just about to test a change that should stop SBUS output until I receive data from the Tx. I've also added the failsafe flag to the SBUS frame.
Regarding lost frames, I have the Rx sending a lost frames count back over telemetry using the (user) application ID of 0x52F0.
Taking a D8 Rx as a passenger sounds like a good idea. I did this with an Orange Rx a few years ago.

What D8 receiver(s) do you have, I've only tried a D8R-II so far.

Mike

Quick Reply