Aug 23, 2019, 11:00 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

FrSky D16 firmware for D8 receivers

With FrSky phasing out support for the "old" D8 receivers, I have taken some code from "midelic" to get the D16 protocol running on D8 receivers.
This post will be updated to contain the details of how to carry out the flashing.

Instructions for Flashing.

The (first) image shows where there are two pads on a D8R-II that need to be shorted together to make the processor start in STM bootloader mode.
Flashing needs the STM Flash Loader Demonstartion program, downloadable from here: https://www.st.com/en/development-to...her-stm32.html.

The next image shows the first screen of the Flash Loader Demonstration program.

To flash a D8R-II, D8R-IIplus or a D8R-XP, you need a standard serial port (not a FTDI with a non-inverted output). I used a fdd_lite device from FrSky.
To put the receiver into STM bootloader mode, temporarily short the two pads shown in the first image.
Connect the ground signal from the serial device to GND, the transmit signal to Rx and the receive signal to Tx in the receiver, so crossing Tx and Rx between them.

Supply power to the receiver.
Run the Flash Loader program, select the COM port you serial device is using, then click the Next button. The first time you do this, it will indicate the chip is protected and ask if you wish to erase the entire chip. Confirm this (it will completely remove the FrSky firmware and bootloader so this is when you can't go back!). The next screen should indicate "Target is readable", and also show the Flash size. I see 16KB for a D8R-II, although it actually has 32K, this may be changed in the next screen. At present the firmware to flash fits in 16K.
Go to the next screen, then the one after that.
Select "Download to Device" and select the file to write. Also select "Erase necessary pages" and "Verify after download". The box labelled "@ (h)" should contain 8000000.
Click "Next" to write to the device.

After flashing, remove power, disconnect the serial device and remove the short on the pads. (For my testing I've wired a switch on the pads so I can quickly re-flash!).

The receiver is now ready for testing.

First test version of the firmware now posted.
Second test version of the firmware added (30-Aug-2019).
Fix SBUS range, fix SBUS failsafe bit, add "lost frame" bit to the SBUS packet, fix errors when reading option links at end of binding.
Third test version of the firmware added (31-Aug-2019).
Fix 100 jump in lost packets. Fix errors in telemetry packet sequencing.
Fourth test version of the firmware added (02-Sep-2019).
Add SBUS output on channel 4 option (for D4R-II).
Fifth test version of the firmware added (03-Sep-2019).
Fix telemetry bug when using EU-LBT and channel is occupied.

Please test very carefully before using to control any aircraft.

Disclaimer: This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This firmware is used at your own risk.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Blandford; Nov 04, 2019 at 05:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 11:27 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
Instructions for Use.

The receiver should behave similarly to before, but responding to D16 protocol.
To bind, power on with the bind button pressed, the red LED should be on solid and the green LED off.
Power on the Tx and select bind mode. After a short while the red LED should start to flash indicating the bind has completed. Note that the Rx is able to bind in both FCC and EU-LBT modes. To switch between these, press the bind button briefly. The red LED will blink off once for FCC mode and twice for EU-LBT mode. If bind doesn't take place, check you are operating in the correct mode. After a successful bind, the receiver will "remember" the mode used and continue to use the same mode unless you press the bind button.
After binding, power the receiver off then back on, and take the Tx out of bind mode. You should now have normal control operation.

Channel 8 may optionally be configured to output SBUS instead of a servo signal. To select this, place a shorting link between the channel 8 and channel 7 outputs while binding.
Channel 4 may optionally be configured to output SBUS instead of a servo signal. To select this, place a shorting link between the channel 4 and channel 3 outputs while binding.
The Tx signal may optionally be configured to output SBUS instead of a servo signal. To select this, place a shorting link between the channel 2 and channel 1 outputs while binding. Note that the hub telemetry input will no longer work (I may be able to fix this but needs a work around due to hardware restrictions in the processor).
You may have 0, 1, 2 or all 3 SBUS outputs enabled at any time.

During bind, the receiver attempts to "tune" itself to the transmitter carrier frequency.

The firmware also supports "Dual BInd". Once you have bound one transmitter, you may bind to a second transmitter. When this bind takes place, the information for the first transmitter is saved.
If you now power the first transmitter on and enter bind mode (second Tx off), then when you power the Rx on (no need to press the bind button) it will bind back to the first transmitter, now keeping the second transmitter details ready to rebind to that one.
Only one transmitter is actually bound at any one time and so able to operate servos etc.
At the end of binding, if you press the bind button, any saved details for a different transmitter are discarded.

The Rx sends some information back over the SPort:
AppId 0x52E0 - The percentage of dropped packets, sent every 300mS.
0x52F0 - The total number of dropped packets, sent once per second.

Configuration parameters that may be accessed:
Prim = 0x30 (read)
AppId 0x0C20 (same as X8R)
First byte of data E0 - channels 1-8 or channels 9-16
First byte of data E1 - SBUS output on ch 8
First byte of data E2 - SBUS output on ch 4
First byte of data E3- SPort or hub telemetry
Value returned with Prim = 0x32 (response)
First byte of data E0 - second byte of data 0 = channels 1-8, 1 = channels 9-16
First byte of data E1 - second byte of data set if SBUS output on ch 8
First byte of data E2 - second byte of data set if SBUS output on ch 4
First byte of data E3- second byte of data set if Tx/Rx used as SPort, otherwise Rx is hub telemetry input
These may also be set using a Prim of 0x31
If a parameter is changed, the function affected will only be actioned after a power cycle to the Rx.

Statistics available (may be changed in future as these are for testing
Prim = 0x30 (read)
AppId 0x0C20 (same as X8R)
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 0 Total Dropped Pkts
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 1 Crc Errors
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 2 Drop Percent
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 3 Ave. Pkt Time
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 4 Backg time
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 5 Antenna Swaps
First byte of data FF - second byte of data 6 Total times telemetry not sent due to channel busy (LBT)
Value returned with Prim = 0x32 (response)
The values are returned as 16-bit values in the third and fourth bytes (least significant byte in the third byte).

MIke
Last edited by Mike Blandford; Sep 12, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 04:40 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
The initial configuration available willbe:
8 servo outputs, Hub telemetry on Rx, and the option of SBUS on channel 8 instead of a servo pulse.

I believe I have diversity working as well, but that needs some careful testing. I also need to remove my debug, I'm currently using the A2 analog signal as a debug output (non-inverted serial data at 115200 baud).

This is a "one way" change. Once you put this firmware on your Rx, you can't go back to the original!

While binding (power on holding the bind button pressed), if you press the bind button it swaps mode between FCC and EU-LBT, flashing the red LED once for FCC and twice for LBT. Once bound, it remembers the last mode used and starts bind in the same mode.

Mike
Aug 23, 2019, 06:23 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
The initial configuration available willbe:
8 servo outputs, Hub telemetry on Rx, and the option of SBUS on channel 8 instead of a servo pulse.

I believe I have diversity working as well, but that needs some careful testing. I also need to remove my debug, I'm currently using the A2 analog signal as a debug output (non-inverted serial data at 115200 baud).

This is a "one way" change. Once you put this firmware on your Rx, you can't go back to the original!

While binding (power on holding the bind button pressed), if you press the bind button it swaps mode between FCC and EU-LBT, flashing the red LED once for FCC and twice for LBT. Once bound, it remembers the last mode used and starts bind in the same mode.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Did you ever follow the double radio bind discussion?

Would it be possible to bind to two radios?
Aug 23, 2019, 07:26 PM
You are relentless Mike! Thanks for sharing.
Midelic has announced to release a Frsky D16 DIY receiver a couple of years ago (I guess it was based on STM32 chip), but for whatever reason it has never happened.
Will your project include a DIY option?
Aug 23, 2019, 11:51 PM
Why one-way ?
I can flash D8 into XP and reverse, why not this feature can't be preserved for this "D16"
Aug 24, 2019, 03:33 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by l shems
Hi Mike,

Did you ever follow the double radio bind discussion?

Would it be possible to bind to two radios?
It may be possible later but first I need to get the basics fully fuctional. It would also need careful consideration to ensure safety and only one Rx bound at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanRy
You are relentless Mike! Thanks for sharing.
Midelic has announced to release a Frsky D16 DIY receiver a couple of years ago (I guess it was based on STM32 chip), but for whatever reason it has never happened.
Will your project include a DIY option?
Not at present, I'm concentrating on FrSky D8 receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Why one-way ?
I can flash D8 into XP and reverse, why not this feature can't be preserved for this "D16"
The FrSky bootloader uses encrypted files and I don't know the encryption method so the only way to flash this new firmware is to erase the whole chip, so losing the FrSky bootloader.

Mike
Aug 24, 2019, 03:57 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
It may be possible later but first I need to get the basics fully fuctional. It would also need careful consideration to ensure safety and only one Rx bound at a time....
If you ever find the time and feel to it, check this guide on dual bind and how it could work safely. It is a user guide for a nonexistent dual bind receiver.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?p=40623565
Aug 24, 2019, 12:05 PM
Nice project than I shall follow.
Aug 24, 2019, 05:50 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
After some careful testing using various transmitters I noticed a X9Lite was slightly less "solid" than others. I think the D8 receiver RF circuitry is sufficiently different to a X8R that it upsets the received signal a bit. I found an adjustment to the RF chip settings that sorts this and the X9Lite is now as "solid" as the other radios.

Even before this change, I did a range test with a X9Lite and easily got 45 paces in range check mode with a servo responding all the time. I couldn't get any further away testing at home as I had already crossed to the other side of the road!

I'm using a SPort telemetry value (user application ID of 52F0) to return the number of "lost packets". as long as this stays at zero, or only changes occasionally then the RF link is good.

Having just checked a X8R with a logic analyser, I see I need to actually do a listen before sending telemetry data and not send it if the channel is occupied. That is the next thing to add.
I think I have everything else working.

Mike
Aug 25, 2019, 03:38 AM
Great, I follow this thread now.

I have also a v8fr-2 rx is this rx also flashable with your version?
Aug 25, 2019, 10:00 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
I have no idea, I don't have any V8FR-II receivers so I don't know what processor is on them.

Mike
Aug 25, 2019, 10:28 AM
Do you think adapt your code to rx-f802 receiver ?
Aug 25, 2019, 11:46 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Thread OP
Again I don't have any rx-f802 receivers so I would need details about them and I wouldn't be able to test it.

Mike
Aug 25, 2019, 01:34 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
After some careful testing using various transmitters I noticed a X9Lite was slightly less "solid" than others. I think the D8 receiver RF circuitry is sufficiently different to a X8R that it upsets the received signal a bit. I found an adjustment to the RF chip settings that sorts this and the X9Lite is now as "solid" as the other radios.

Even before this change, I did a range test with a X9Lite and easily got 45 paces in range check mode with a servo responding all the time. I couldn't get any further away testing at home as I had already crossed to the other side of the road!

I'm using a SPort telemetry value (user application ID of 52F0) to return the number of "lost packets". as long as this stays at zero, or only changes occasionally then the RF link is good.

Having just checked a X8R with a logic analyser, I see I need to actually do a listen before sending telemetry data and not send it if the channel is occupied. That is the next thing to add.
I think I have everything else working.

Mike
How well is this receiver compared to X8R regarding range?

Are there other receivers that can run this firmware, even existing D16 receivers?

Dual bind is really nice to have on D16.

Quick Reply