ARRMA 1/8 TYPHON MEGA 550 Brushed 4WD Speed Buggy

ARRMA's new brushed 1/8th scale buggy is a ready to run right out of the box. It equipped with with everything you need including a Spektrum STX2 2.4Ghz radio.

Splash

RTR Brushed Buggy from ARRMA

ARRMA's new brushed 1/8th scale buggy is a ready to run right out of the box. It equipped with with everything you need including a Spektrum STX2 2.4Ghz radio. It will reach speeds up to 30MPH and the large size will handle rough terrain better than smaller 1/10 scale cars.

Features

• Spektrum™ STX2® 2.4GHz radio
  • 2-Channel SRX200 waterproof receiver
  • Built-in 3-position throttle limiter
  • Extended range and interference-free performance
  • Throttle/steering reversing
  • Throttle/steering travel adjust
  • Throttle limiting
  • ADS-5 waterproof 5kg-cm servo (70 oz-inch @ 6V)
  • MEGA 12T Brushed 550 motor
  • MEGA waterproof ESC
  • IC3™ connectors (EC3™ compatible)
  • Easy-access power module
  • Easy-access electronics module
  • Easy-access diff module removal front and rear
  • Oil-filled shocks
  • Smooth bearings
  • Tough metal gears
  • Tough multi-spoke black wheels and multi-terrain dBoots® 2-HO tires
  • Painted, decaled and trimmed body
  • Adjustable body mounts
  • Adjustable ride height
  • High-downforce wing
  • 2400mAh 8.4V 7-cell NiMH battery
  • ADC-N7 7-cell NiMH wall charger
  • 30 mph (48km/h) speed achievable in optimum driving conditions with optional gearing
  • Waterproof*
  • 2-year limited warranty

Check out the ARRMA 1/8 TYPHON Mega 550 Here

Aug 23, 2019, 10:11 PM
The Mad Titan
I was at my LHS a few weeks ago and a Traxxas rep was there discussing business with the workers. He asked me if I thought Traxxas was missing anything. I told him, flat out, "the market has NO inexpensive RTR buggies (I explained the shortcomings of the Bandit) and they should develop something off of the Slash". He said, "do you really think there's a market for that?" I said, "Yeah. Sometimes people just want a buggy, and no one has one as a starter car."

At least Arrma was listening, LOL.
Aug 24, 2019, 04:28 PM
Can't believe they still supply that STX2 radio with their cars. It's junk. The lag is insane.
Aug 24, 2019, 08:45 PM
It has proprietary connectors on the ESC and battery?
It has a 5-wire servo?
Is it a combination ESC/servo driver?
These are all things that come on cheap buggies and have to be replaced because they burn up in front of your eyes.
Aug 24, 2019, 09:03 PM
Born again RC'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
It has proprietary connectors on the ESC and battery?
It has a 5-wire servo?
Is it a combination ESC/servo driver?
These are all things that come on cheap buggies and have to be replaced because they burn up in front of your eyes.
1 - Sort of, not really. The new IC3 works with the older EC3, which is just a 3mm bullet connector. Plenty of unbranded EC3 plugs available for cheap.

2 - no, 3 -wire servo. Pretty quick, but plastic gears and not real strong. The servo in my Granite mega lasted over a year, still worked when I swapped it out.

3 - no, separate ESC and RX.

For about $200, this will make a great first car for kids. But if you know you will want brushless, just get the BLX3s version...
Aug 25, 2019, 07:49 AM
For some situations, the brushed motor gives you the option of changing from bashing to crawling to whatever by changing the motor. For me, I want the reliability of brushless. I looked at the Arrma site for info and it talks about batteries that are either 2S or 3S and it gives boundary dimensions. Does that mean it doesn't come with a battery? One option I didn't see is metal shocks. Do the plastic shocks typically hold up well? I see a lot of plastic that I wonder about.
Lynxman, you talked about how unreliable the Spektrum transmitter is. I wonder if you have something you like better. I have 3 vehicles running on the FlySky GT3C and it has some problems too.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:36 AM
Born again RC'er
This MEGA car comes with a 7-cell Nimh. Lipo can be an issue, as the motor and ESC tend to overheat on lipo, and the motor often dies in less than a dozen runs. Leave in on Nimh, and it seems to last better.

Shock - they are decent as long as they have oil in them. They will leak, though. I suspect the "self bleeding" design is to blame, but it could be the o-rings. I do like the bottom load design (no cap to pop off) and they come with great springs. But, the oil will leak out. I run Typhon 6s shocks on my Granite.

Radio - the issue seems to be latency. Huge lag compared to most hobby grade systems, and not great range. Over on Arrmaforum, that STX2 radio is mostly universally hated.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:05 PM
The GT3C transmitter has a roller with a switch underneath it, like many transmitters do. The problem us the switch is lousy. The "cure" is to take the whole thing apart and shoot contact cleaner at it. I don't think so! That would get old very quickly. The real solution is to move the wires to a momentary contact push button you install. The trick is to get one small enough so it fits and doesn't interfere with anything else.
Aug 25, 2019, 03:57 PM
The Mad Titan
Yeah, I've heard the radio is complete junk. The Tactic the older Arrmas came with, while basic, is a VERY solid RTR radio. You can adjust steering and throttle endpoints on it, but it requires entering a programming mode which people consider to be inconvenient. Horizon just took their cheapest radio with easier "programming" and threw it in. The worst part is it's FHSS protocol, so it's not like you can bind a different Spektrum radio to the receiver, you need to replace the entire thing.

That being said, this is an entry level vehicle and is priced as such. Plastic is the name of the game and, with the stock electronics, will hold up perfectly well.
Aug 26, 2019, 09:09 AM
Born again RC'er
I am actually ok with the STX2 on these mega cars. 20mph does not require long range or super fast response time.

But this radio is also included the 60mph 10lb Kraton. That is a tragedy waiting to happen...
Aug 26, 2019, 05:22 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
I am actually ok with the STX2 on these mega cars. 20mph does not require long range or super fast response time.

But this radio is also included the 60mph 10lb Kraton. That is a tragedy waiting to happen...
100% agree. I'm not sure if you're on the Arrma RC Arrmy group on book, but I hear so many people telling others to get a 6S as a first R/C car (not their first Arrma, but their first R/C). Why people think a 60 mph, 10 lb metal road missile is good for someone who has NO idea what they're doing is beyond me? I'm waiting to hear about a broken leg (or worse) because some guy gets confused about which way to turn the wheel when the car is coming towards him.
Aug 27, 2019, 03:36 AM
Joker, smoker, midnight talker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
100% agree. I'm not sure if you're on the Arrma RC Arrmy group on book, but I hear so many people telling others to get a 6S as a first R/C car (not their first Arrma, but their first R/C). Why people think a 60 mph, 10 lb metal road missile is good for someone who has NO idea what they're doing is beyond me? I'm waiting to hear about a broken leg (or worse) because some guy gets confused about which way to turn the wheel when the car is coming towards him.
It's the same on Swedish RC groups. Every time someone asks for a good beginner car, everyone goes "Get an E-Revo! You can buy mine!".
First of all, the E-Revo is not a beginners car. You need basic RC knowledge and skills both to drive it and work on it. Second of all, it the E-Revo is so good, why are so many people selling theirs?
Aug 27, 2019, 05:55 AM
Here, in the States, Traxxas is a BIG name and sold by every hobby store out there. I think they're way over-priced for the convenience factor and have the same problems every other brand has. If somebody has problems they can'/ won't handle, they go to the hobby store and pay somebody to work on their vehicle/ whatever and get charged inflated prices for parts.
Aug 27, 2019, 12:26 PM
Getting off topic here, but I’ll say that Traxxas customer support is second to none. A phone call will usually get them to solve your issue, and they most likely will send you a free part if you need it. Say what you will about them but the customer service it really good. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with them.

Now, back to the buggy topic: dang it I want one. Is there any difference between this and the BLX3s, other than the motor and esc used?
Aug 27, 2019, 12:41 PM
Born again RC'er
The spur, slipper and diffs are the same ad the other Mega trucks, and will need to be upgraded if you want more than mild brushless power. The diff just needs the HD17T input to be solid on 2s power. The spur is plastic 48p, there is a Hot Racing metal 48p available.

Plus, the motor mount is predrilled for 4 choices of 48p pinions. So if you get the BLX slipper and 32p spur, you need the BLX motor mount.

Ebay kitbreakers help defray cost, but still, the BLX is better if you know you want brushless.

Quick Reply