Aug 25, 2019, 04:00 AM
jofro
Forget about Aspirin! Try it on some 10-12G strand wire, waste of time. Bit of soak in Acetone will also help to remove it if you un-twined the strands.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 09:37 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Thread OP
So positive and negative votes on aspirin.

What about heat? Anyone find that directed flame or extra hot iron was unable to remove the coatings?
Aug 25, 2019, 01:07 PM
Click here to block ads
I have had a little luck with heat and a little with solvents. Scraping works 100% of the time.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:48 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
So positive and negative votes on aspirin.

What about heat? Anyone find that directed flame or extra hot iron was unable to remove the coatings?
The results achieved with any solvent will depend on the solvent and what's being dissolved. Since no one knows what the insulation on their magnet wire really is, and there are many types of insulation all of which look pretty much the same, the method used in any one case may or may not be applicable to any other.

However, as mentioned by me and a few others, heat absolutely will remove any coating from the wire no matter what it's made from. You can accomplish this with a lighter or a candle, but the preferred method is a small butane torch (or a lighter of that style). Burn off the insulation, then wipe down the wire to remove the carbonized remnant material. Grab the wire below the point you want to bare with a pair of needle nose pliers to act as a heat sink, so you don't heat up more wire than you intend to.
Aug 27, 2019, 04:12 AM
jofro
I agree, use of an open flame like mini butane torch is another great option if you un-twine the strands and remove coating with mini wire brush.

Quick Reply