Aug 23, 2019, 12:09 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Hyperion Sentry Mini Charger, Discharger, & Battery Checker

Hey Everyone,

It's been long over-due, but it's better late than never . Almost two years in the process the first of our new Hyperion Charger series is released! The Hyperion Sentry Mini Charger, Discharger, & Battery Checker is of course unlike anything in the Industry. It has the highest Discharge/Storage rate than any other compact charging unit currently available.

I'll have more details, images, and data released here soon, but here is our official product description in the meantime;

Protect your investment by properly storing your LiPo batteries, EASILY!

It's imperative that all LiPo's be stored at 3.7v ~ 3.8v when not in use. Any time a LiPo battery is fully-charged for extended amounts of time (this could collectively be hours, days, or weeks), the Anode inside the battery naturally oxidizes, decays, and thus longevity and cell-performance is lost.

Storing your LiPo batteries accordingly will give more cycle-life and save you money in the long run.
After multiple years of in-house development we've released the first-of-its-kind Super Quick Discharging solution meant to discharge and balance LiPo's easier and quicker than any other tool in the market.

Finally a "Plug-n-Forget" battery storage solution that boasts up to 390 watts Discharging power, the Sentry Mini Charger & Discharging tool is like none other. In the past, Discharging batteries took hours or days, and then sometimes these devices would accidentally over-discharge and leave your packs fully-drained due to parasitic draw while idle, but not the Sentry Mini Discharger.

Just connect the Discharge and walk away indefinitely, now there's finally a tool that allows you to efficiently and effortlessly discharge your packs without hassle.

The Hyperion Sentry is not only the most powerful Discharger tool available today, but also functions as 50 watt Mini LiPo/HvLi Charger, and is a LiPo - HvLi - LiIon - NiCd - NiMh Battery Checker too!

The Battery Checker will graphically show at a glance the remaining capacity in your battery packs, cell balance, cell voltages and difference between the cells. The Sentry Mini Charger and Discharger provides you with all information and tools necessary to maintain and keep your packs performing. Avoid costly mistakes and increase battery reliability by using a high-quality battery checker.

Features
2S ~ 6S Lithium Discharging Compatible: Up to 390 watt Discharging power for LiPo and HvLi
No Parasitic mah Draw when idle HvLi/LiPo
Charger: 50 watts, or 2.0 Amps max (whichever is less)
2S ~ 8S Lithium Battery compatible with HvLi LiPo, Standard LiPo, Li-Ion and LiFe
4S ~ 8S Ni-Cd/MH batteries support
Battery Checker Displays the total battery pack voltage and a percentage bar graph for estimated remaining capacity.

View screens for Minimum and Maximum cell voltages, and voltage difference between max and minimum cell. Convenient Balance and Discharge function. Clear display and easy-to-use menu Discharger Powered from the battery pack you connect. No auxiliary batteries needed for device.

Maximum Discharging Specifications, short pulse-time.

2S HvLi: 131watts (15 Amps)
3S HvLi: 196watts (15 Amps)
4S HvLi: 261watts (15 Amps)
5S HvLi: 326watts (15 Amps)
6S HvLi: 392watts (15 Amps)
7S HvLi: Disabled
8S HvLi: Disabled

*0.05V Cell Balance Tolerance.
*This battery checker is compatible with JST-XH balance adapters

Check our product page here: https://hyperion-world.com/en/hyperi...attery-checker

Dealers Welcome!!!
Ship date ETA 09/20/19 +/-

This Product is Patent-Pending. Hyperion may provide OEM, and custom Industrial Application Design for use in Quick Battery Discharging and Battery Management Systems, contact us directly for inquiry.

Subject to Change
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Aug 27, 2019 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
Reserved...
Aug 23, 2019, 01:34 AM
ancora imparo
Nice, Dean. Good to see Hyperion are back in the electronics/charger business.

It doesn't say so anywhere but I assume it has an XT60 connector for the LiPo pack?

John
Aug 23, 2019, 01:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Nice, Dean. Good to see Hyperion are back in the electronics/charger business.

It doesn't say so anywhere but I assume it has an XT60 connector for the LiPo pack?

John
Yes exactly, it's a xt-60 connector on the DC input side. so you just connect the Xt-60 to main port, and then the balance connectors to the balance ports, and then vio'la discharging at warp speed. No more waiting for paint to dry.

It's so versatile it can also double as a nice hand-warmer on those more cold and windy days, you'll just need to put it in our TX winter glove lol

https://hyperion-world.com/en/p2602894-hp-txglove
https://hyperion-world.com/en/hyperi...s-lipo-powered
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Aug 23, 2019 at 02:13 AM.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:51 AM

Battery information

Hi,

It's useful to get your useful information.

Good to see Hyperion are back in the electronics/charger business, too.

You can visit this site http://batteryfocus.com for more information.
Aug 23, 2019, 04:07 AM
ancora imparo
So just to confirm. This discharger does a balance while discharging?
Aug 23, 2019, 04:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
So just to confirm. This discharger does a balance while discharging?
Correct, this balances while discharging.

I attached a picture of the balancer and main Xt-60 port side.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:26 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Is the discharge current user selectable?
Any external user interfaces like USB or Bluetooth?
Aug 23, 2019, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
The discharge current is not selectable, it's a fixed rated depending on the input voltage (series) of the battery.

Here's the maximum discharge rates per battery series:

Maximum Discharging Specifications, short pulse-time.
• 2S HvLi: 131watts (15 Amps)
• 3S HvLi: 196watts (15 Amps)
• 4S HvLi: 261watts (15 Amps)
• 5S HvLi: 326watts (15 Amps)
• 6S HvLi: 392watts (15 Amps)
Aug 23, 2019, 04:02 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Thanks but I’m still a bit confused
Are you saying it’s a fixed 15A to start then ramps down over time/internal heat sink temperature?
I don’t know what you mean by “short pulse time”
Aug 26, 2019, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
The Dischargers logic alternates back and forth from zero current to 15A discharge rate many times per second, the Discharger rests slightly for cooling and to gather pack data-voltage when there's no-load and with-load. The discharge logic also takes into consideration your pack configuration and temperatures.
Aug 26, 2019, 12:58 AM
ancora imparo
So, in other words, the discharge is controlled by a switching FET with a maximum current rating of 15A in the ON state?
Does this imply that the AVERAGE current is less than 15A. The 6SHvLi rating of 392Watts implies a continuous 15A. 4.35 x 6 x 15 = 392 Watts.

Or is that an instantaneous maximum 392 Watts and the average (real world) value is less?

Thanks

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionRocks
The Dischargers logic alternates back and forth from zero current to 15A discharge rate many times per second, the Discharger rests slightly for cooling and to gather pack data-voltage when there's no-load and with-load. The discharge logic also takes into consideration your pack configuration and temperatures.
Aug 26, 2019, 04:20 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
John
It sounds like it is just pulse width modulated current control?
0-15A peak with variable duty cycle depending on cell count / pack voltage.

The unit looks a bit smaller (mechanically and thermally) than the isdt FD200 but is nearly twice the rating ? (392 vs 200 watts). So perhaps it also adjusts the duty cycle to also manage heat sink temperature as well.

5 minutes on a bench with a scope and I'm sure all questions would be answered.
Looks like another month or so wait until they are shipping.
Aug 26, 2019, 05:26 AM
ancora imparo
Agreed - there is no substitute for measurement.
But you would expect the guys who design it to know as well.

Even if it's PWM control, the question still arises, where does the energy go?
Either it goes into a resistive dump and the current is switched on and off by the FETs with relatively small dissipation in the FET junction, OR the FETs are operating in linear mode and acting as a variable resistance and all the energy dissipation is in the FETs. Either solution works. There are common commercially available power MOSFET's like the FDL100N50F that can dissipate up to about 350-400 Watts in DC mode if properly cooled. I have a 2200Watt LiPo test linear load (non-switched) discharger built with 6 of them.

However Hyperion's description still doesn't clarify whether the 392 Watts is a continuous average value or not. I hope it is - or else I have wasted my money.
My iSDT FD200 does a genuine 200Watt continuous.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
John
It sounds like it is just pulse width modulated current control?
0-15A peak with variable duty cycle depending on cell count / pack voltage.

The unit looks a bit smaller (mechanically and thermally) than the isdt FD200 but is nearly twice the rating ? (392 vs 200 watts). So perhaps it also adjusts the duty cycle to also manage heat sink temperature as well.

5 minutes on a bench with a scope and I'm sure all questions would be answered.
Looks like another month or so wait until they are shipping.
Aug 26, 2019, 09:57 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
You bought one?
I didn’t think they were available yet?

This unit looks small in the picture at least if I assume it is built on/around the cell checker display
It must have the fans running really fast (loud) to dissipate all that excess heat in the FETs

Quick Reply