Aug 22, 2019, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Found Trojan Horse On X9D+ Content SD Card

Has anyone else found a trojan Zbot IVF on their SD Content Card for X9D+ Taranis. I formatted the SD Card before downloading the content so I know it wasn't on their before the download from the FrSky website. Sometimes there are false positives and was wondering if this is one of them.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 09:13 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
What file?
Aug 22, 2019, 09:21 PM
I'm not going to say that you didn't find actual Malware. Run it through MalwareBytes and TrendMicro's free remote app in addition to your present Internet Security app

However, if you are running BitDefender, it could well be a false positive. After 2 years of BD, I switched back to Norton because of excess false positives that blocked most of the FrSky apps plus an Arduino firmware flashing app for my telemetry. BD support was of no help.
Aug 22, 2019, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Ha... I do use BitDefender.... I did delete the "Trogan"... Reformatted the SD Card and downloaded another set of files. So far.. no worries.. but it was wierd... I could even find the directory where the trojan was supposed to be... Well, thanks for your input... putting this bad boy to rest ! Cheers !!!
Last edited by stephen120; Aug 22, 2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typos
Aug 22, 2019, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
I'm not going to say that you didn't find actual Malware. Run it through MalwareBytes and TrendMicro's free remote app in addition to your present Internet Security app

However, if you are running BitDefender, it could well be a false positive. After 2 years of BD, I switched back to Norton because of excess false positives that blocked most of the FrSky apps plus an Arduino firmware flashing app for my telemetry. BD support was of no help.
Norton is garbage too but for the opposite reason, it's detection is pretty terrible. I'd recommend Avast over both.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
Norton is garbage too but for the opposite reason, it's detection is pretty terrible. I'd recommend Avast over both.
You might want to rethink that:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
June 2019 - Norton scored 100% on Protection, Performance, and Usability. Avast scored a lower 97% on Protection

AV-Test is an independent 3rd party test org to which the AV companies submit their products for testing. It was a recent very big deal in the tech world because, from out of nowhere, Windows Defender suddenly scored with the best, after years of being pretty mediocre.
Last edited by RCAddiction; Aug 23, 2019 at 05:23 AM.
Aug 23, 2019, 10:14 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Norton has been worst in class for a long time, their current product is no improvement. I will take any tests that claim otherwise with a serious grain of salt.

Norton has a long history of poor detection rates, significant performance impact and destroying Windows Registries. When I was still working in the retail support business I used to love Norton, because it was a guarantee of 2-3 hours of billable work in rebuilding a system and installing a functional replacement after Norton destroyed it, or let malware do so.

Norton products have pretty much been garbage since Symantec bought them from Peter Norton.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:27 PM
Mawz, you might want to see how that has changed over the years. Norton/Symantec did suck pretty badly for a long while, with heavy resource demands and imperfect detection. And the same benchmarks reflected that poor performance. I left Norton for dead for several years but came back after the documented improvements. It's been bench-marking very, very well for the past few years and has lighter resource utilization than many others.

Use what tools you like, of course. We all have our favorites. I also use multiple anti-malware solutions myself for different target vectors. However, it's important that comments on application performance (like Norton) are up to date. Hyundai made low quality crappy cars at one time. So did Honda many decades before that. Doesn't mean that's still the case.

BitDefender choked for me and another member of this forum on some known safe FrSky software, and I got tired of having to work around it.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
You might want to rethink that:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
June 2019 - Norton scored 100% on Protection, Performance, and Usability. Avast scored a lower 97% on Protection
I gave Norton a second chance about a year ago. Switched back to Avast when a shareware program downloaded installed a bunch of malware on my PC behind my back and Norton did not prevent it and could not detect it once I became aware of it.

No arguments about Bitdefender, it's good but it's so paranoid it made my PC basically unusable. For a casual user who doesn't know much about PCs it's probably a good idea to take control of the system away from them like that but for power users it makes the PC essentially useless.
Aug 24, 2019, 07:21 AM
Well that certainly sucked. Sorry to hear it. Glad Avast is working for you.

I do run Norton IS plus Malwarebytes for malware, as well as (2) Anti-Ransomware tools. Scripting is disabled in my browsers to minimize drive-by attacks or redirects. Since I switched back from BD, I've been fine (knock on wood).

I always do a separate file scan in the folder (right click-> scan) for anything new that's been downloaded before it's unzipped or run, in case it was not caught on the fly during the actual download event. Including FrSky stuff. They are, as we know, a Chinese company. It's always possible some rogue employee who isn't happy about the US, particularly at this point in time with tariffs, might plant something. Of course, that can happen with any company.

Quick Reply