Sep 03, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
The SD-100 is now basically framed. Still much to do.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2019, 02:34 PM
Looks great Mark. Jim Wiseman will be happy to have a friend in the air with him.
Sep 03, 2019, 10:25 PM
Progressing along very nicely! And it does look like the stabilator tapered spar webs have been in place initially.

Wondering, however, is the leading edge balsa also tapered or not? Anyway saw no indication of it in the outerzone plans.
Sep 05, 2019, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
The horizontal stabilizers are framed with the tubes installed. I built them according to plans and instructions. Both give very little detail.
Ready to start sanding....
Sep 05, 2019, 10:58 PM
Stabilizer framework is looking great. Removable stabs do make it much more convenient for transport.

BTW, I built the removable horizontal fins/elevator option as described in the Windrifter kit but realized that it took too long to remove the rudder first, then the elevator and finally the horizontal fins and an equally long amount of time to replace everything. The Windrifter travelled to and from the flying site with its tail intact after that.
Sep 06, 2019, 03:16 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
At least some plastic model cements have mek in them. Not sure how well they stick to wood.
They don't, plastic model cements are purely for welding styrene variants and don't actually glue.

In the plastic modelling world we break out the CA, Formula 506 Canopy glue or epoxy when we need to glue dissimilar materials.
Dec 06, 2019, 10:41 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
I now have a renewed interest in this thread since I managed to pick up a NIB SD-100 kit. I would be interested on what your progress is. I also have a few questions about the plastic fuse.

I wasn't able to examine the full contents of the kit. I noticed there were not any building instructions or at least something that stepped through the process of assembling the fuse. I have some concerns about the fuse. Is there any kind of structure within the fuse or does it rely on the plastic form? I would seem to think a plastic formed fuse would be rather delicate and not take the full abuse of fun-flying let alone mild levels of competition.

I'd be interested in seeing some more pictures of your fuse as well as your progress.

Thanks.
Kurt

Quick Reply