Aug 22, 2019, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

SD-100 by Craft Air... Building log.

Hello,
The Craft Air SD-100 has a fuselage made up of four plastic pieces. I started construction several years ago and used Ambroid cement as adhesive. Ambroid worked well. I still need to join the front and rear of the fuse. This project has been on and off, and my tube of Ambroid seems to have gone bad over time. Itís become somewhat watery in terms of viscosity. Ambroid is no longer being manufactured.
Has anyone built or is anyone currently building an SD-100? Iím interested in learning about what glues work on the plastic fuselage. Any other discussion about the design is welcomed.
Thanks and Regards, Mark
Last edited by Mark Lalla; Sep 01, 2019 at 04:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 07:19 PM
I would think a slow cure epoxy would also work.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:10 PM
Any idea on the type of plastic?

Ambroid was a bit before my time so not sure how well it was expected to adhere to the plastic. I do know "Goop" will adhere pretty well to most plastics.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
The type of plastic is ASA.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:56 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
I have not had the opportunity to work with a plastic fuse but thinking of the chemistry of Ambroid cement I think you really can't go wrong as long as it has the ability to really bond to the fuse parts. Depending on the type of plastic that was used the Ambroid may act as a liquid "weld" much like the glue used in PVC plumbing. You could probably use a slow cure epoxy (=>15 min) as well.

Try applying a small dab of epoxy to a hidden section of the fuse to see what kind of adhesion you get. If you can peal it off then stick with the Ambroid cement.

Best of luck.
Kurt

ps. what does the building instructions recommend?
Aug 23, 2019, 01:10 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
I found this which may be helpful

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...100-Windrifter

Kurt
Aug 23, 2019, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the responses. The suggested thread about the SD-100 is informative. The model cement is intended to fuse the plastic. Iím testing a product called Sigment and it seems to work as well as Ambroid cement. I will also experiment with slow setting epoxy for wood to plastic bonding.
Aug 24, 2019, 07:43 PM
Hey Mark - Do post your results here, I have two untouched SD-100 kits and plan to get around to them someday.

I had one of these back in the day, I am pretty sure we used the original Satellite City 'Hot Stuff' CA, but a chemical fusing (like Sigment) is probably a better solution. Getting primer and paint to stick without cracking on dorked landings and such over time was also a problem - the old Petit and K&B Superpoxy paints worked well. I wonder if modern auto paints meant for flexible urethane bumpers will work?

cheers,

Barry
Aug 25, 2019, 02:53 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
Barry,

You might check into Klass-Kote epoxy paint. I have read they are close to the old K & B paints. I've not used them, but have been close to trying them though many modelers have.

http://www.klasskote.com/re-model-crafting-epoxy-paint

Mark
Aug 28, 2019, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
I tested the Ambroid Cement and Sigment on the plastic fuselage. I glued two pieces of balsa wood to the inside of the fuselage. After several days of curing I canít break the bonds of either sample. Iím going to use the Sigment because the tube is fresh and new. The cements also bond the plastic to itself very well.
Aug 29, 2019, 08:21 PM
I've never heard of Ambroid going watery, though it was pretty thin when new. Usually, it just dried up, getting thicker and thicker. I don't know if the chemistry is exactly the same, but Duck and Beacon 527 (I think that's the right number.) are,similar to Ambroid and Duco when used on wood. Haven't heard of ASA plastic.
Aug 31, 2019, 06:38 AM
Mark LSF # 3792

ASA Plastic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylo...yrene_acrylate

Didn't know what it was myself. As simple no keyboard search came up with this link. Had a course in plastics in college, couldn't remember ASA.

BTW, it also mentions MEK as a good solvent welding liquid.
Aug 31, 2019, 03:43 PM
At least some plastic model cements have mek in them. Not sure how well they stick to wood.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:47 PM
Mark,

Am following your SD-100 thread with some interest since I have built the 'cousin' Windrifter, same wing design although the tail feathers are dissimilar and with a built up boxy wood fuse.

Noticed in your pix below that you have constructed the stabilator's spar (identified as a 'spar web' in the Outerzone SD-100 plans) with two strips of thin balsa.. The spar web is 3/32"x1/4" beveled from 1/4" to 1/8" according to the plans. Hope this helps.
Sep 01, 2019, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Iíve decided to sort of document my building progress in this thread. I will post pictures later of my progress thus far. Hopefully, this will keep me motivated to complete this build, sooner rather than later. Comments are welcome.

Quick Reply