Sep 06, 2019, 04:14 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwally
jofro :- And I thank you for taking the trouble to explain your method and experience. It has certainly broadened my take on how to approach bungee launches.
Great advantage of my catapult set up, taking off down wind makes no difference like today.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2019, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
I found out yesterday that my wood order would be a bit more expensive and a bit late on delivery. How scale is that!!! Late and more expensive. Duh!!!
Sep 07, 2019, 03:46 PM
Foam addict
Just wait till you need an HV ESC and new batteries!
The fun never ends with some models! Well eventually it does, but it is fun making progress.
Sep 07, 2019, 06:55 PM
jofro
Quote:
I found out yesterday that my wood order would be a bit more expensive and a bit late on delivery. How scale is that!!! Late and more expensive. Duh!!!
Don't forget retracts! How scale would be your model with out them?
Sep 08, 2019, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Don't forget retracts! How scale would be your model with out them?
It's also blowing cold air, hasn't got any radar and has a hook for a rubber band on it. (though I think that they did consider a hook to help it land). Anyway it took about 10 flights to get the real retracts to work properly, I might not get that luxury. Let's call it a 'Golf-scale' model, to be viewed from a fairway away.
Sep 08, 2019, 11:49 AM
The 6 P principle works for me
Golf Scale, I like that!

Michael
Sep 09, 2019, 04:59 AM
jofro
Quote:
It's also blowing cold air, hasn't got any radar and has a hook for a rubber band on it. (though I think that they did consider a hook to help it land). Anyway it took about 10 flights to get the real retracts to work properly, I might not get that luxury. Let's call it a 'Golf-scale' model, to be viewed from a fairway away.
Wish I had a 'fairway luxus' flying my scale EDF jets, I have to put up with the goat tracks at most of the grass fields I fly off.
Sep 12, 2019, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
AT LAST, my ply and balsa has arrived.
I managed to resist the temptation to start popping out the laser cut formers until I had first weighed the whole sheet and then written on the part numbers. (for some reason Slec doesn't seem to do this now). After removing the formers I weighed them and was pleased to find that I had over-estimated the former weight by 5ozs, so, a little bit in hand. I couldn't resist laying down a couple of fuselage keel longerons, threading a few formers on to the eflux duct and checking the fit, OK up to now. Formers 14 and 15 will be slotted to allow the fan to be removed, a wee bit jiggle may be necessary there but looks basically OK.

I was out with my TSR-2 Foamboard 'Mule' on Monday and had two good flights, hand launched admittedly but our bungee testing is starting to bear fruit. The 'Mule' has had a short but bloody life up to now , the controls are not yet well harmonised as the roll is quite sensitive but it needs a fair pull on 'elevator' , a bit more rate fettling is in order. However both flights were very pleasureable, 'stick-with-it-ness' is starting to pay off.

I think that the Ianda build challenge will be a foregone conclusion, In any case the Lighning came along first. I'm not sure when I'll get properly started as I have just finished scalping a couple of trees in our garden and the detritus will need to be chipped and taken to the tip. Oh and the weekend is looking good for flying.
Sep 12, 2019, 06:19 PM
jofro
Good to see some progress, passion & devotion will bear some fruits.
Sep 12, 2019, 07:53 PM
Derek,

You can see that your mule has been kicked in the face a few times. Looks like Monday was a nice day down here - it was rubbish up in Edinburgh.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:31 PM
jofro
I have noticed that nose too, but never noticed any bungee hook, hope you did not bungee it with that pusher prop in the ass.
Sep 13, 2019, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
I have noticed that nose too, but never noticed any bungee hook, hope you did not bungee it with that pusher prop in the ass.
Ah-hem, as a mater of fact yes, and the prop windmilled, and wound the trigger line round the motor, and pulled the plane to the ground.

I know, I know, you told me so. But the two following flights kinda made up for my b*lls-up.
Sep 15, 2019, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Well that's the basic fuselage framing completed. The formers FF14 and FF15 are split to allow the fan to be removed, which it can be ,,,, just! The all-moving fin and taileron pivots are glued in and the exit duct is now fixed in place. Almost everything fitted first time except the nose former, somehow I had drawn it at half size on the laser cutting drawing.

The next step will be to build a mounting plate for the ESC, preferably somewhere accessible and to think about running servo and battery leads before the pesky sheeting / planking starts, (I may have to get a contractor in to plank it, are you reading this Ianda?). It looks like the fan battery will end up somewhere between FF7 and FF9 so I will also have to think about a battery box.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:58 PM
jofro
Neat looking job, I was going to ask you how will you remove the fan if in need, must be a pain, unless you can move the ducts freely.
For bungee launching I would personally install already at this stage a CF back-bone tube right through the fuse on the bottom for the tension strength.
But, with the amount of work you going to put into this project you are better off doing it all the way, with the retract landing gear and use the best power unit your money can buy.
It's going to be too heavy for the El-cheapo 90mm fan unit.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:24 AM
Looking good Derek. Should be a lot more sheeting than planking.

Quick Reply