Dec 23, 2019, 06:28 PM
James L
You so nearly had it as well. Mine flew quite well once I had the fin sorted out. Yours is better built than mine. My fin made mine roll from taileron input and then kick back as the rudder flexed. I would definitely give it another go. Mine also flew better with the stabiliser being slightly bigger than the drawings I had and closer to the one at Duxford.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
TANGOSIERRAROM :- I've decided to build a new forward fuselage and graft it onto the relatively undamaged aft fuselage section. I will try to reduce the weight by using 3mm balsa formers instead of lite-ply and bore out the cockpit section, (the hard green foam it was carved from survived almost undamaged after being plunged nine inches into the ground, see picture). I also intend to check out using a 4000mA battery which would allow me to reduce the size of the dead-lead-weight which is screwed on the end of the jet-tube.
There was enough power to climb away from the launch trolley and the 'elevator' power of the tailerons did not seem unmanageable however the 'aileron' action was very fierce and will be reduced by at least a half. I can't recall using the fin so I will stick with the existing movement for the moment.
Given that the flight only lasted a minute or so I might wish to re-evaluate the foregoing comments at a later date.
Jan 06, 2020, 02:17 PM
world's slowest builder
Great to see the TSR getting rebuilt! I agree that everything looked good with the flight characteristics ad performance other than the roll stability/sensitivity. This might be a good candidate a stability/gyro receiver.
Jan 06, 2020, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Air-Jon :- Mmm, I have one of those Orange receivers with a built in gyro but as I understand it the gyro action is to correct for non-radio generated deflection whereas I think that I was suffering from 'aileron' over-sensitivity. I don't have anything which would hold the plane say 'straight-and-level unless otherwise demanded' like they use in drones or modern fighters which are inherently unstable. I have read of, I think, an Eflite plane which had a receiver which could be reset to straight and level at the flick of a switch but my recollection may be faulty. I'm probably going to have to rely on less deflection combined with plenty of exponential. (and probably a lot of luck).
Jan 06, 2020, 06:22 PM
world's slowest builder
HI MustangWally. I did understand you that the plane was touchy to control inputs. There is a chance that there ae multiple things going on to make it so touchy. Many shoulder wing jets tend to have interesting flight characteristics...such as the Vought A-7 corsair II. My friend Chris Wolfe (The RC Geek) competes in Scale masters with an EDF A-7 by JetHangar Hobbies. He has said many times the A-7 is very tricky to fly in wind and has unique stability issues.

It's just a though, and the gyro receivers also always make the controls feel a bit softer to me. The E-flite SAFE receivers do have attitude limiting features and a panic button to return to level flight. it works very well as I am teaching my girlfriend's son to fly using this system I an E-flite trainer.

I'm not a huge fan of using gyros, but there are some planes that could be made to fly better or more scale with a gyro.

I'm sure you could have success without a gyro. Once you get the next one all trimmed and the aileron rates just right, you will know if it could use any additional help.
Jan 07, 2020, 12:18 AM
Derek,

You're a brave man. I'm looking forward to the next flight attempts (unless they're over and done with before I get back from Oz)
Jan 07, 2020, 04:35 AM
Thread OP
Hi Ian, it may be that I have a bit too much doggedness but bravery no. You were on the video camera for the last flight, just look at the 1min -1min 20sec section and see yourself standing your ground as it locks onto you, then look again at the cockpit after it was dug out. That was bravery, even with a bit of telephoto.
I'm going to replace the front 3 inches of cockpit with a sacrificial soft nose, just in case it crashes again.

By the way, have a nice holiday in Oz. See you when you get back.
Feb 01, 2020, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Well here we are in February, itís blowing a gale and the forecast is for more of the same next week. Iíve been busy re-modelling a bathroom which is now finished and which has re-stocked my Ďbrownie pointsí account so aeromodelling can now started to pick up pace.

Iíve started the rebuild of the front fuselage and Iím taking the Ďopportunity **í to make a few changes. Instead of 3mm liteply formers Iím using 3mm balsa. The longerons were 10mm sq balsa which has been substituted with 6mm sq balsa. Boring out the cockpit green foam has saved nearly an ounce off the nose. Iíve bought a couple of 6S4000mA batteries and using this slightly lighter and smaller motor battery means that it can be mounted vertically and further rearward towards the G of G. This battery weight saving and re-distribution has enabled me to remove the 250gms of lead from the tailpipe. In all it looks like I could achieve a 400gm, (15-16oz), reduction in flying weight from 3.8Kgs down to 3.4Kgs. (Approx 7.5lbs).

The battery access will still be from the top and the tow hook from the original position. The new motor batteries are higher ĎCí rated and the loss of the lumps of lead, (see pic), will be an advantage on any future flights.

** Think positive.
Feb 01, 2020, 11:21 AM
I can only add that a gyro does 'calm things down' if you have extreme roll sensitivity,
My HP 115 is a case in point.
Name: Avatar1.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 461.7 KB
Description:
You need big elevons for pitch control but definitely not for roll. It is also flown bank and yank with no rudder.
I can and do fly it with the gyro switched off but gyro can correct small disturbances long before I can so it just flies on smoothly.
The gyro does not interfere with loops and rolls.
You may also discover high alpha 'wing rock'. Very alarming the first time it happens but drop the nose and it stops instantly.
Feb 01, 2020, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Quorneng :- What type of gyro are you using, is it something like a 'Lemon' receiver or a separate unit? I have a 6 channel 'Lemon' receiver somewhere and the TSR-2 doesn't need many channels.

Quick Reply