This thread is privately moderated by mechmove, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 21, 2019, 11:06 PM
CasualSoCalFlyer
Thread OP
Discussion

El Dorado State Park

This morning, I drove out to El Dorado park in Long Beach. Arrival time was 12:10pm. I brought my V-tail + aileron Renny Electric (2meter) and had a few flights along side a couple hand launch pilots. The field looked very different, but this is because I was on the other side of the field where the main flying stage is located. Last time out was when I lost my AVA electric.

My setup this afternoon was the original Hacker BL20-18 motor with 4:1 gearbox and "smallish" Aeronaut folding prop. The dimensions marked on the propeller are worn out, but this combo has terrible climb performance on a 2-cell 1350 lipo. So after I came home, I swapped out my "smallish" Aeronaut prop for the 11x8 Graupner folding prop. One of the guys at the field knew a lot about electric motor systems and recommended a lower cell count means a larger prop can be used. I do not remember exactly why I installed a smaller prop years earlier. I was primarily flying 3 cells at the time. It might have had something to do with the spinner hardware coming lose due to too much torque, at least this is my memory. But with 2 cells, the torque is less. We will see how this works out.

Also my radio program did more than I realized. The coordination between tail and ailerons can be turned off, but this requires using the throttle stick as rudder. Something I never got into. And I have exponential/dual rates (?) programmed on a 3 position switch, 100%, 110%, and 120%. I never even knew, I was wondering why the controls seemed kind of unresponsive. The amazing thing my radio program was maintained even after 6 years when the transmitter battery died! But the downside I couldn't remember all the settings available to me.

So hooking up my Wattage meter in between my LiPo and controller, I got 9.7amps at 65 watts at full power with the 11x8 prop. This is a lot of power on 2 cells. I can feel the torque, wants to flying out of my hand! That famous "unrestricted brushless climb" from the mid-2000s using 8-9 cell NiH "the setup to have". Much improvement over the speed 400 motor in my first foamy!

Finally this evening I renewed my AMA membership for 1 year.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply