Aug 21, 2019, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Scam

Yesterday I received a PM request from a person that has lately been controversial lately. I replied to an Email address provided and was shocked. This "person" stated that her husband had been killed in Saudi Arabia by business associates, had 9.2 million dollars in a Spain bank, needed me to take care of her adoptive daughter for 20%. I really didn't expect this on RC Groups. Although mildly entertaining, this has no place here. Be careful on line!!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 06:33 AM
Well who was it?
Aug 21, 2019, 06:43 AM
Heligamist
This concerns me as a child is possibly involved. I keep PM's turned off most of the time unless I am buying something from someone on RCG or HF.
At least provide another clue as to the identity of this person and for sure report it to the moderators.
Aug 21, 2019, 07:42 AM
Too bad you got a scam through the forum.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
I'm sure no child is involved. They haven't contacted me back yet. I've seen these things before, but not here. I saved the letter anyway in case it is needed. I can't find the way to report it to RCG, so that is why I posted the alert here. In this day and age, you have to be careful.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
On a lighter note, I just got 8 flights in!
Aug 21, 2019, 09:07 AM
Well who was the person here? So someone else doesn’t have this very problem again. Why keep it a secrete?
Aug 21, 2019, 10:46 AM
Genius man
I think I know who it might be. Hint; " a person that lately has been controversial lately".
Aug 21, 2019, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
The scammer could have used some kind of back door. I'm not going to accuse someone of something this serious without being 100% sure they were involved. RCGroups, who sent me the PM notice should know. Should I find out for sure, I will divulge their identity. You are all familiar with the host person. If indeed he was aware, it will be public. I'm not the judge or jury here. Just passing on what happened so others will be aware. OK?
Aug 21, 2019, 12:10 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCl
I can't find the way to report it to RCG,
There is a 'report PM' button on the top right of every PM you receive.. see attached image
Aug 21, 2019, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
I did not know that. Thank you!
Aug 22, 2019, 08:23 PM
rc user
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
i think i know who it might be. Hint; " a person that lately has been controversial lately".
nice!
LOL
Aug 22, 2019, 08:26 PM
rc user
John you may want to make it public, the member who sent it may be hacked and not know what's going on.

i know we have some "far out" people on here but can't imagine any of them would try this.
Aug 23, 2019, 04:36 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I'm sure the person in question has read this alert. RCG said it may take a short while to review. Said they are busy. That's fine with me. I see over 200 have viewed my post so hopefully I have done some good. I hope so anyway. Meanwhile, I'm charging batteries and this will NOT be on my mind at all! Go flying!
Aug 23, 2019, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
This got a lot of views and I hope it helps awareness. I'm closing this now, and will let everyone know of any new developments. Thanks, John

Quick Reply