This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

EC 1500 maiden notes

All controls were set to stock throws and settings. The elevator setting was neutral and I did not set the elevator down as shown on page 10. Takeoff was from asphalt into a 3 mph headwind using high rates with flaps up and SAFE Off. On downwind No trim was required so turned SAFE On. Tested the recommended flap settings and they worked fine with full or no power. Despite my previous concerns with asymmetric thrust there was NO Rudder required to maintain heading throughout the throttle curve. I did use more rudder for coordinated turns but found an aileron to rudder mix for scale like flying. The center section flaps really allow slow takeoffs and approaches. But with full power and full up elevator she accelerates at a 90 degree angle! At straight and level with max power I saw no aileron or roll oscillation. (On other 60 -70 mph models Iíve switched to the V900 RX to eliminate roll oscillation). With power off and full flaps and full up elevator there was no abrupt stall or tip stall. With full aileron added a gentle spiral of 3 or 4 turns was tested. Recovery is quick and easy by releasing sticks and adding power. I was having too much fun doing slow scale like touch and goes to do any extreme aerobatics and will test that out on another day.

I noticed that she does not want to slow down on landing roll out and I almost went off the runway pavement end 2 times! I could put Aerostar 60 amp RVS speed controls in for reverse thrust but I donít want to give up the ramp/ door or SAFE. So I will be adding a scrub brake to the nose tires to try out. Our grass runway was mowed short yesterday and I know this could be used for STOL opps but I donít want to risk cutting grass with the props spinning on takeoff or windmilling on touchdown. Iíve ordered spare left and right props (5X10X8) and spinners.

The main gear stance is narrow and prop clearance on takeoff or landing can quickly change with a sudden side gust. The roll gyro is much better at keeping wings level than I am so Iíll be using only rudder and elevator for rotation and flare.

Battery used: Turnigy Graphene 4000 4S 65 C. Used Lion setting on Hitech Blacktop Charger to get 90% full charge. Ended with 28% remaining using 11:39. Mixed flying but mainly scale/sport flying with no hovering or 3D manuevers. At this rate of 90-28=62% over 11;39 or 62/11.65=5.32 % per min. If start capacity is 90% and end flying is 15% then total capacity used for scale flying is 90-15 or 75%. Total motor on time would be 75/5.32= 14 minutes.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply