Aug 20, 2019, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

F450 Crash on neighbors Roof

Well last night was a first for me.

Been flying 5 inch quads in acro for about a year now, but this summer I bought a F450 from ebay for about 100 bucks, it was in excellent shape and very well built. Flew good fine but lots of vibration, I stuck a microcam and Tx on it for FPV and it's very shaky. I really just wanted to try one and I want a drone I can park in the sky. Just like flying the Phantom I lost except about half as stable.

The f450 has been very kind to me. I stuck my gopro on it and used it for some footage of a wedding I was shooting (for a friend) and I recently used it to win some cash in an instagram photo contest. Lets just say it paid for itself many times over.

Last week I got a super cheap 2 axis brushless gimbal for it (34 bucks). I didn't weigh the drone, but it seemed really heavy with the gimbal, gopro and the 5200 3s I use, but it seemed to fly fine. Video was excellent and I did several test flights with no problems. Got about 12-15 minutes of flight time, but motors were a bit warm.

Flying around my house last night I was bringing it back down from around 150 feet and it started a death spiral, I yanked off my googles and it watched it trying to fly, it was didn't fall super fast, but landed on my neighbors roof. She thought it was hilarious, lucky me.

Anyway, gimbal destroyed, one arm broke off, and the action cam is dead, but the action cam was just a Yi 4 years old and smashed up, so no big loss. One prop is broke. The motor on the broken arm won't spin, which I think is the ESC.

So either,
  • Prop broke in flight
  • ESC blew
  • Motor overheated

I'm kind of on the fence right now, I guess I should just break down and get a Mavic, I'm sure that would suit my needs the best. I'm thinking of getting more serious in video production and I'm getting a good local reputation as a drone guy.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 09:25 PM
Lol! You're lucky you had a decent neighbor- Maybe you should consider this a lesson well learned and not fly over other peoples property without permission.
That is, if you want to maintain your reputation as a "good drone guy"
Thanks for the example.
Aug 21, 2019, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
Since I fly all over town that would be alot of permissions to collect.
Aug 21, 2019, 11:31 AM
Depending on where you live, it might also be illegal to fly over people and property...

There's a reason why drones are more and more regulated, and it's because non-drone users get annoyed by the invasion of privacy (which they do not understand: people seem to think that drones have the same type of cameras used in movies, where you can keep zooming and be able to identify the brand of their cigarette from a reflection off a spoon on the other side of the road). Asking for permission goes a long way towards making people more comfortable with drones and avoiding problems
Aug 21, 2019, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgholson
Flying around my house last night I was bringing it back down from around 150 feet and it started a death spiral, I yanked off my googles and it watched it trying to fly, it was didn't fall super fast, but landed on my neighbors roof. She thought it was hilarious, lucky me.
The following may be the issue, as you mentioned the added weight, and that it happened during descent.

Quadcopter Vortex Ring State: Recovery and Avoidance (9 min 58 sec)
Aug 21, 2019, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
I think some people just need a ruining the hobby auto responder.

t00nz, good thought, but this definitely wasn't the problem. I had goggles on, descending slowly, directly down in the vacant parking lot near my house where I'd been flying. Horizon suddenly went to about 45 degrees and I could hear the other motors rapidly spining up and down as the Naza tried to keep it in the air. I yanked off goggles and saw it dropping at about 70 degree angle.
Aug 22, 2019, 01:25 AM
I have had a motor lockup because of a magnet that came loose. I crashed it into a bush no damage, I got lucky that time lol

You can just fix the arm and bad motor and test it to see. also could have been a bad connection someplace.

Good idea to check all the connections before each flight just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply