Aug 20, 2019, 10:33 AM
Trader Rating: 23
Thread OP
Alert

hadawayj - bait and switch - beware

On 08-14-2019 I contacted hadawayj and agreed to purchase this ad

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-carrying-Case

During the exchange of several PM's with hadawayj I asked about the condition of the Mavic, I specifically asked if it had been crashed, how many flight hours were on it, and if it still had the stickers on it as shown in the pictures, the response I got was
Quote:
This is a very clean Mavic Pro with no damage.
He also offered this
Quote:
Hi
Since you say you have bought from me before I will offer you $25 off if you want to send PP via FF. Your choice.
I have purchased from him in the past with no problems, and given the pictures in the ad, did not see any reason that this time would be any different, so I sent him the money with F&F, which was a mistake on my part.

On 08-17-2019 the Mavic arrived in the mail, I was able to open it on 08-18-2019, at which time the below pictures are what I found in the box, not the same Mavic that was posted in the FS thread. This Mavic had several issues, when I powered it on it had the "gimbal motor overloaded" error and would not calibrate. I tried 3 times before I gave up and shut it off. I also noticed that it appeared that the rear of the body had damage where the props had made contact with the body, I sent hadawayj a PM and explained the issue along with telling him that it had damage to the rear of the body where the props had struck the body (this had Mavic 2 props on it, which are longer), this is the respone I got
Quote:
Hi
I am not sure but I think you have one of the newer clear plastic covers with two prongs sticking up on the inside. The is the lock for the gimbal. If you powered it up with it in place it could have burnt one or more of the gimbal motors out, but I doubt that happened. As for the marks on the top, it is common to see that from storage and handling.
I also told him that I wanted to return the Mavic for a refund, this was never acknowledged by him in the any of the messages.

So, I then sent him this message

Quote:
I tried the gimbal calibrate once more, and it took this time, it was able to fix itself, the picture is no longer canted.

It appears these are Mavic 2 props, which is why they were hitting the body, also not the ones that were pictured with the FS thread.

Also, this does not appear to be the same Mavic that was in the FS thread, this did not have the sticker on the power button (as seen in the pics in the thread) and it has marks on it that also do not appear in the FS pics.

The props in the FS are clearly different than the ones that shipped with the Mavic.

The charger in the FS thread still has the plastic wrap on it, this charger did not.

The controller in the FS thread still has the clear plastic protector on it, this controller does not and it has small, slight scratches on the screen.

I don't see how this can be the same Mavic that is shown in the FS thread, if you would like pictures of what I received, I will be glad to send them over.
This was the response I received

Quote:
Hi
At any one time, I have several Mavic Pro drones in my shop. I test every piece of equipment that goes out and put together a complete kit with everything shown in the pictures but not necessarily the same parts that are in the pictures. Even though this ad did not have the disclaimer about the pictures not being the actual pictures of the Mavic Pro you received you did get all of the parts shown +. This was not a new Mavic Pro and was priced that way.
So he has acknowledged admitted that he did not send me the Mavic that was pictured in the FS thread.

I then sent him 3 more messages asking him to do the right thing, all went unanswered.

I then contacted the local Sheriffs office and explained the situation, they offered to go by his house and speak with him, when the deputy called me back he explained that hadawayj told him it was "sold as used" and they were unable to do anything else.

This is a classic bait and switch sale.

Be sure to read this as well...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ded-after-sale
Last edited by drmalenko; Oct 07, 2019 at 03:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 11:13 AM
Trader Rating: 174
You should of received the one in the AD !!!! No, And ,If,s or Buts If something happen to it then you should of received something of Greater Value that you would of been Happy With or your Money Back
Last edited by mlj3; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:33 AM
Trader Rating: 158
Yup, definitely should have received the item pictured. I would personally leave a negative, even knowing I'd probably get a retaliatory negative in return. On the other hand, an almost $600 purchase through friends and family...ouch!!! Got more money to burn than me. I've done well over 300 deals with on this site over the years and you could count on one hand how many people I would send funds through friends and family. I seem to remember hearing that sellers name associated with issues in the past as well.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:38 AM
Trader Rating: 76
KV4PL, FAA 107 Certified
That looks pretty beat, lets hope hadawayj is a stand up guy and make right on it
Aug 20, 2019, 11:49 AM
Trader Rating: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlyBob
That looks pretty beat, lets hope hadawayj is a stand up guy and make right on it
Yes I Agree Pretty Sure if the tables were turned and he brought something and it wasn't what was pictured he would be upset I know I would be
Aug 20, 2019, 12:06 PM
Trader Rating: 23
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj3
Yes I Agree Pretty Sure if the tables were turned and he brought something and it wasn't what was pictured he would be upset I know I would be
Did you read this?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ded-after-sale
Aug 20, 2019, 12:24 PM
Trader Rating: 200
After the very 1st reply not answering your important questions I would have moved on. That should have been a major red flag right there. This seller is a reseller and does not know if it was crashed.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:59 PM
Trader Rating: 9
"I test every piece of equipment that goes out and put together a complete kit with everything shown"
If I had a dollar for every time a person said that, when you know darn well that they haven't done it.

"This is a very clean Mavic Pro with no damage."
I also noticed that it appeared that the rear of the body had damage where the props had made contact with the body, I sent hadawayj a PM and explained the issue along with telling him that it had damage to the rear of the body where the props had struck the body
Well that explains using pics of a different Mavic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
After the very 1st reply not answering your important questions I would have moved on. That should have been a major red flag right there. This seller is a reseller and does not know if it was crashed.
Yep, and then when you get stuff like this on top of it: Since you say you have bought from me before I will offer you $25 off if you want to send PP via FF. Your choice. Frightening. Really shows what was trying to be pulled here.
Aug 20, 2019, 01:11 PM
- Passing Through -
If you are really upset about it, call your credit card company and open a case. PayPal will not be happy, but you will get your money back.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Machine
If you are really upset about it, call your credit card company and open a case. PayPal will not be happy, but you will get your money back.
He sent F&F to save a few dollars. Maybe a better chance of straightening this guy out if he simply left feedback saying he was conned into paying FF and sent a different, damaged item than shown. Sadly people still keep buying from sellers with FB like that, but if they quit buying from them it would have an impact.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:21 PM
Trader Rating: 3
Old new guy
I stopped reading at Paypal FF.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:32 PM
Trader Rating: 141
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX
I stopped reading at Paypal FF.
How so many Quadrama begin,, with poor judgement
Aug 20, 2019, 03:00 PM
Trader Rating: 80
Mt. Dora, Florida
If you paid $575.00 for a used drone on the classifieds, you have too much money and then to cheap out and send friends and family, you were a pigeon waiting to get plucked. I'm flabbergast that you actually called the local sheriffs dept. to go by and trying scaring the person into giving you a refund after you participated in scamming Paypal out of their duly rightful fees. Shame on you both. But at least you got something for your money, leave the guy suitable feedback and move on and don't be so easy next time.

Take a page from my book, I never spend more on here and well as Ebay than I'm willing to lose. It's disposable income and if I have to eat it, it is what it is.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:04 PM
Trader Rating: 80
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
He sent F&F to save a few dollars. Maybe a better chance of straightening this guy out if he simply left feedback saying he was conned into paying FF and sent a different, damaged item than shown. Sadly people still keep buying from sellers with FB like that, but if they quit buying from them it would have an impact.

Are you kidding? He wasn't conned into anything it was Greed that got the best of him.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:14 PM
Trader Rating: 21

Appropriate

Think this song is appropriate . The Who. Album. Quadrophenia. Song, "Can you see the real me".
The Who - The Real Me (3 min 21 sec)

Quick Reply