Aug 20, 2019, 09:16 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

I need a .15

I have an airplane and the OS .10 is not enough power. It's a little tail heavy so a .15 would solve two problems at once.

What are some of the best .15 engines. I don't really want another OS engine but if that's the best choice them that's what I will get.

Did OS ever make a ball bearing .15?

to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 09:40 AM
The beam mounted RCGF 15cc has been around for quite a while. It's the lightest 15 I believe, and has made quite a few friends.

With the latest RCGF shake up, I'm not sure where I would go to get one. RCGF USA appears to have a new version and the better price, but for the extra 10 bucks, Valleyview will have the edge when it comes to support. They're tough to beat.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:46 AM
Maybe a enya or asp if u can find one somewhere .
Aug 20, 2019, 10:14 AM
Dieselized User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
The beam mounted RCGF 15cc

I have a feeling this engine will now require some tail weight.

OS 15LA, Enya 15CX, NV .15, what else can you get new?

OS did make a .15CV-A, but I don't think it was very popular.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:35 AM
Cat Man
I have an HB 15 that I am not in love with. PM me if you are interested.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:58 AM
The HB .15 are oldschool engines ( cross scavenging, iron/steel technology, full castor fuel only), not bad at/for their time, but it will not be much more power over the OS .10.

The Enya .15 CX is not really a .15 engine, it is and large bore version of their .11CX.

The OS .15FP or the LA plain bearing and have a good power to weight ratio. Combined with their quite muffler they are very nice engines.

The ASP .15XLS (blue head) are ballbearing and great value for the money. They are also "true ABC" and come with a twin needle carb. The quality control is not the best so they can vary a bit from one engine to another, but that would still be my recommendation.

None of these engines are made anymore though, so spare parts are hard to find.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I have an airplane and the OS .10 is not enough power. It's a little tail heavy so a .15 would solve two problems at once.

What are some of the best .15 engines. I don't really want another OS engine but if that's the best choice them that's what I will get.

Tell us more..... what plane, what OS .10 is now in it, etc.

If the OS .10 now in it is the older crossflow scavenged Max .10 R/C, substituting the Schneurle ported OS .10 fsr will boost the power a lot and it weighs more than the OS Max .10 . sceptreflight.com has reviews/specs on both engines and the OS .10 fsr comes up for sale on this forum regularly.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Aug 20, 2019, 12:47 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2michaely
Tell us more..... what plane, what OS .10 is now in it, etc.

If the OS .10 now in it is the older crossflow scavenged Max .10 R/C, substituting the Schneurle ported OS .10 fsr will boost the power a lot and it weighs more than the OS Max .10 . sceptreflight.com has reviews/specs on both engines and the OS .10 fsr comes up for sale on this forum regularly.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
It's my own design, a sport aerobatic airplane with no landing gear. 36.5" span, 282 sq", 33oz ready to fly.

OS 15FP that I purchased new. I an running a 7x5 prop but will try a 7x4 next time I go flying. I have an OS metal engine mount - will an OS 15 engine mount fit the same firewall mounting holes.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:51 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
Cox Conquest .15 in the R/C version. It does use a Perry carb, which is an acquired taste.
Aug 20, 2019, 01:00 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Photos
Aug 20, 2019, 02:16 PM
NVEngines.com

I don't know anything about the .15 engine, other than it is an available option.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:42 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
I wonder if taking the baffles out of the muffler would get me more power. Has anyone tried that with that type of OS muffler.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:10 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Yes, but it was nearly 60 years ago...
Aug 20, 2019, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Yes, but it was nearly 60 years ago...
Pretty sure the .15 CVA isn't 60 years old..
Aug 20, 2019, 03:27 PM
If you can find one - the Super Tigre G15 might be a good choice.

If rear exhaust isn't a problem, then the Cox (then K&B) Conquest 15 is a nice engine, Taipan .15, Rossi .15, Nelson .15.. muffler? We don't need no stinking mufflers.. The Taipan gold head .15 actually could be had with a small rear exhaust muffler, the Conquest muffler is somewhat ungainly, but available. This batch was intended as high performance engines, and were often run with just straight mini-pipes about 4" long, no muffle effect at all.

None of which are still being made, I don't think, but you can find them around.

Quick Reply