Sep 06, 2019, 03:12 AM
Thread OP
It was nice to finally complete the engine nacelles and work on the rudder servo installation. In comparison this was a quick and easy job, foam is very easy to cut a recess into.

I marked out a 50mmx50mm square dug out the initial shape using a sharp craft knife blade and finished off with the dremel to smooth out the edges and base.

The servo is glued to a 50mmx50mm 2.5mm plywood plate with a cut out for the control arm. The whole assembly will be screwed to 12mmx12mm beech strips glued to the inside of the recess with the plywood plate sitting flush with the foam.

The keen eyes will have noticed I still have two more 12mmx12mm beech strips to add.
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Sep 09, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 03:53 AM
Thread OP
The five minute job that took an entire weekend..........

I decided to mount the elevator servos to the side of the fuselage directly beneath each elevator I also decided to add some additional mounting support using 12mmx12mm beech bearers. This all seemed like a nice easy install but I forgot about the curvature of the fuselage as shown by the first image.

Once the glue had cured I armed myself with the trusty dremel and ground the ends of the bearers to beneath the fuselage as shown by the second image. Starting to look better and the servo mounts nice and snug as shown by the third image.

Final step grab the lightweight filler and restore the fuselage curvature as shown by the fourth image.

Now repeated the same process for the other elevator servo......

I guess I could have just used a flexible snake to control the elevators and mount the servos in the fuselage but I was concerned the length of snake required might introduce unwanted play in the elevators.
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Sep 12, 2019 at 05:10 AM.
Sep 12, 2019, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
Glued the 2.5mm ply mounting plate to the fuselage end of each elevator and taped the control surfaces to the elevators to aid fuselage alignment. Once the glue had cured I drilled 5mm holes through the ply mounting plate into the elevator for the 4mm carbon mouting rods as shown by the first image.

Once the carbon mounting rods glue had cured I marked and drilled the corresponding 5mm holes in the fuselage and taped the elevators to the fuselage to check alignment and orientation as shown by the second image.

Just for completeness I temporarily attached the vertical stabiliser as shown by the third image. looks good and the alignment is just a few mm's out happy with that.

I will also mount a 2.5mm ply plate to the elevator mounting point on the fuselage to add additional strength before glassing.

Easy part complete now I have to move on to the main retracts.............
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Sep 12, 2019 at 08:28 AM.
Sep 12, 2019, 03:48 AM
wow! good work!
BR Egor
Sep 12, 2019, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1000
wow! good work!
BR Egor
Thanks it's slowly coming together.
Sep 17, 2019, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Started work on the main retracts well one at least. I guess there's only so much planning and head scratching you can do before you just have to give it ago and so far all appears to be Ok.

Channels for the 12mmx12mm beech bearers that span the outer two ribs have been cut. Once alignment and spacing has been confirmed the bearers will be glued in place. Channels for the 6mm carbon support tubes have been started once complete will run the complete length and into carbon tubes mounted in the fuselage. As shown by the first image.

Once complete the retract unit will be mounted on a 6mm plate attached to the beech bearers simply because the depth of the rib is not sufficient to accommodate the retract unit. I've decided to opt for strength over scale accuracy for this part of the build I guess with all builds compromises have to be made and this is one.
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Sep 17, 2019 at 02:29 AM.
Sep 19, 2019, 01:59 AM
Thread OP
Main retract wing modifications complete and beech bearers glued in position channels ready for 6mm carbon rods. Following on from my previous post regarding mount of the retract unit I have decided to extend the underside of the wing to enclose the retract unit and give a better finish.

The plan is as follows:
  • Glue 6mmx6mm balsa strips along the underside of the wing.
  • Remove a section of the leading edge and replace with 25mmx25mm balsa leading edge.
  • Sheet the underside of the wing with 1.6mm balsa sheet.

This will raise the underside of the wing enough to meet the retract unit this approach should also simplify the mounting of servos, escs and engine nacelles.
Sep 30, 2019, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Tail section plywood reinforcement complete remaining work:
  • Apply lightweight filler.

Then the fun job of attaching the fuselage sections together ready for glassing!
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Oct 03, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
Sep 30, 2019, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Wing modifications

6mmx12mm balsa strips glued to the underside of the wing in preparation for 1.6mm balsa sheeting of the underside.
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Oct 03, 2019 at 07:23 AM.
Sep 30, 2019, 08:22 AM
Hello!
what impellers do you use?
Best Regards, Egor
Sep 30, 2019, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1000
Hello!
what impellers do you use?
Best Regards, Egor
These http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-80mm-duc...0-motor-pro-v2 they fit the nacelles really well.
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Sep 30, 2019 at 08:30 AM.
Sep 30, 2019, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaBoy50
cool!
Oct 03, 2019, 07:40 AM
Thread OP

Alternative ESC placement

After playing around with engine nacelle placement I discovered there wasn't sufficient space to accommodate the ESC so I decided to move the ESC's location towards the root rib.
Oct 04, 2019, 01:53 AM
Thread OP

Wing Sheeting

Topside 1.6mm balsa sheet applied couple of areas didn't glue properly will need to sort that but on the whole looking good.
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Today at 03:46 AM.
Today, 03:27 AM
Thread OP

Electronics Setup

Decided to setup the receivers and RB-20 in preparation for retract and servo testing.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/...-%20manual.pdf

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/xsr/
Last edited by ScubaBoy50; Today at 03:38 AM.

Quick Reply