"Peppa" Nose Ballast System for CX5 DLG

Check out this cool system for adding nose weight to your CX5 DLG.

Splash

Clever Nose Ballast System for Concept X5's

Here's a cool new nose ballast system for CX5 DLG's. You'll get a small box that includes all the parts needed. There's a plastic template that you slip over the nose to cut the fuselage at the proper location. Then you'll take the 3D printed mount and glue it into the nose. There are 4 holes in the mount that you can slip in pieces of weight.

They give you two sets of weights so you can mix and match the weights and number of weights to get the CG exactly where you want it. It also makes it super easy to change out and adjust the CG for different conditions. If the wind picks up, you can add more nose weight in 2 seconds. When the wind dies off, you can pull weight out in a snap and always have your plane dialed in for the weather.

The weights are a friction fit inside and will not fall out on their own. They thought of everything though and include a magnet that makes removing the weights quick and simple.

To order a set you'll need to contact Rollo (RCGroups Member Rollo340)

Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 AM
Wow...thanks for the introduction here, Jason ...hoping to receive the first 15 sets next week.

Cheers,

Rollo
Last edited by Rollo340; Aug 25, 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Aug 27, 2019, 03:55 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Here's how the install goes. Super easy!

CX5 "PepaPIG" balast system - how install in (1 min 9 sec)
Aug 27, 2019, 04:30 PM
Thanks for sharing, Jason...you’ve been quicker again

Rollo
Aug 28, 2019, 10:10 AM
plays with toy planes
That's super smart.
Aug 28, 2019, 05:24 PM
Come out swinging
Why would you need to adjust the nose weight with an adjustable ballast system? Once the nose weight is set during initial trimming, most folks use more ballast with more wind, which also moves the CG forward a little.

Sean
Aug 29, 2019, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporter
Why would you need to adjust the nose weight with an adjustable ballast system? Once the nose weight is set during initial trimming, most folks use more ballast with more wind, which also moves the CG forward a little.

Sean
Hi Sean,

well, some folks (me included) have a different approach.
I fly my CX5s with a Standard CG around 68. When the wind picks up, I slowly move the CG to ~ 65mm (up to around 3-4m/s) with the respective 1-2 clicks of downtrim. From that point, I start ballasting. My ballaststicks are prepared to match the 65mm CG at the last hole of the ballasttray. So I still have the ability to move the CG a bit further fwd when we have extreme wind conditions over 15m/s.
The reason is to prevent the tail from dropping and loosing too much energy to getting the plane „running“ again.
I also trim my plane for an optimum gliding performance for return flights from downwind during every flight testing time. It results in a 2-3 deg flightpath with flaps neutral. Doing this, you always have the trust that your plane moves towards you. Most people are burning way too much altitude which results in landouts. Energy management is everything here

Rollo
Aug 29, 2019, 12:23 PM
When the wind picks up, I slowly move the CG to ~ 65mm (up to around 3-4m/s) with the respective 1-2 clicks of downtrim. From that point, I start ballasting. My ballaststicks are prepared to match the 65mm CG at the last hole of the ballasttray. So I still have the ability to move the CG a bit further fwd when we have extreme wind conditions over 15m/s.
The reason is to prevent the tail from dropping and loosing too much energy to getting the plane „running“ again.
I also trim my plane for an optimum gliding performance for return flights from downwind during every flight testing time. It results in a 2-3 deg flight path with flaps neutral. Doing this, you always have the trust that your plane moves towards you. Most people are burning way too much altitude which results in landouts. Energy management is everything here.
This was a major hurdle for me in the beginning. Now solved thanks to Rollo and The Morris boys input.
All is the same for me EXCEPT,I find the 65, 66mm CG, (keeps this plane 'moving which it really likes,,,,but it will also fly really slow in some morning conditions, trimmed right) is pretty much my standard always and moving to about 64mm when the wind builds and I start using ballast. I am also finding that this plane at this CG range can tolerate a lot of flap usage with the corresponding 'monster' results.
What an awesome plane.
Strong is on the way
Thanks Rollo and Stream Team.
Cary
Sep 01, 2019, 05:20 PM
Come out swinging
Interesting. CG forward first, then ballast. I usually do these two in unison. I will try to separate these and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

Sean

Quick Reply