Aug 20, 2019, 05:05 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Paladin PL18

I received my "dream" TX earlier this week. A bit of a disappointment so far, especially after waiting for it all these years... I'm starting this thread here in the FlySky forum, hoping Flysky will use it to improve the software ( not sure they can do much about the hardware still...)

The good :

-It has the display on top, where it belongs on a neckstrap equipped TX!
-Hall sensors?
-nice momentary pushbuttons
-side "slider"pots
-customizable with different size side pieces
-built in antenna(s)

The bad :

-The possibility of using some kind of open software (ER9X preferred in my case) does not seem to be standard( possible at all?)
-No obvious backwards compatibility with old receiver/protocols ( I like the Flysky 2.4G 6CH FS-iA6B a lot and would like to keep using it)
-Voice output not customizable and insufficient in its present form ( I like my countdown announced every minute until the last 30 seconds, then every 5 or ten seconds until the last 10 seconds, then every second... The minute countdown is missing...
-pushbuttons located on the front instead of on the back where they would be easy to reach
-side "slider" pots difficult to operate for a thumb flier , it's better for me with the big sidepieces though...

The ugly:

FlySky "support" seems to have gone completely silent again after starting several threads on the Radios forum ( and unfortunately none on this dedicated Flysky Vendors forum), I hope we can convince them to participate more and listen to the user's griefs ( especially mine :>) ) and act on them... I hope William Zhang (marketing FlySky?) will help us out here...
Last edited by WimH; Aug 23, 2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: looking at it a bit more in depth...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thread OP

Discussion start...

Like many others, I'm a bit disappointed that the is no backwards compatibility, at least with AFHDS 2A . Buying an extra module and a JR module adapter for the TX and still not getting telemetry is not an option for me. I can only hope somebody manages to get the new protocol on the old receivers like my favorite, the FlySky FS-iA6B 6CH Telemetry Receiver. A new 4 channel receiver (+ more channels via i/s-bus) at a nice price point could alleviate the pain somewhat....
Aug 23, 2019, 11:12 AM
Thread OP

another annoyance

Just tried to change my TX from Mode 2 to Mode 1. In theory that should work without openeing the TX, by adjusting the screws "reachable" from the outside. They do warn you not to turn them counterclockwise too much. All good and well, but two of the screws were loose already in my TX, I can just see them but obviously not turn them. TX unuseable at the moment, looking for instructions on how to open the TX now...
Last edited by WimH; Aug 24, 2019 at 11:03 AM.
Aug 23, 2019, 11:35 AM
Thread OP

Usb ...

Just connected my TX to my Windows 10 PC . used an USB3 port and the cable provided ( Angled the wrong way for an easy connection, another design mistake that could have been easily avoided by using a type C connection). to get the PC to recognize the TX, it is necessary to switch it on while connected and eventually pass the switch/throttle warning. It is then recognized as a game controller etc.
Aug 23, 2019, 11:36 AM
No SD card so you have to save plane set ups on a computer then I tried to save my 1 set up and the computer doesn’t see the PL18 it does start to charge but otherwise I even go to the model app and select export and it tells you there to hook up to a computer to save planes and I hook it up and nothing it just doesn’t recognize the transmitter :-(
I have sent an email to FLYSKY and so far no response
This transmitter is clearly not ready so hang on to your i-10’s for now
Aug 23, 2019, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Tried on my Win10 portable , USB2 and no internet connection. Recognized without problems. But when trying to save/import a model, it becomes obvious you need PC software, not available on the website(yet?)
Aug 23, 2019, 01:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
Typical FlySky customer service! Non-existant!
Aug 23, 2019, 01:12 PM
When you say recognized w/o a problem does it show up as a hard drive would ??
Aug 23, 2019, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
No it does not, that apparently is not the way it works...
Aug 24, 2019, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
After opening my TX( you need two different size hex screwdrivers and a small philips one) I found one, not 2 loose screws ( well, just hanging on) and moving the non-returning "throttle" to the correct side for mode one plus setting stick tension and friction was easy. Also set Software to mode 1 ( system/stick mode) The manual definitely sucks...
Aug 24, 2019, 09:16 PM
Note to FlySky
Flew today with both transmitters i10 and PL18 and we need a single beep at each minute when timers are going down,
it’s on the i10 but not the PL-18
please keep the last 10 seconds count down and if Possible make that change on the i10 to beep only on the last 10 seconds thank you !!
And while I’m on a wish list bring out replacement Hall effect gimbals for the i10 this would revitalize the popular i-10
Aug 24, 2019, 09:35 PM
There’s a mention of Bluetooth can anyone release some info on how it will be used maybe save models to our phones or am I dreaming , possibly wireless training or as we say buddy cord ? Still dreaming
Aug 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
Got an answer from FlySky the video just showed how to ad sound to the timer but not at each minute as it ticks off thanks William !!! Bring on the software upgrades :-D

Hi Jack,
1 timer sound option see the video
2 wireless function: the firmware is in the developing, and the functions you mentioned are include.
3 save the model to the computer need the software which we are testing.

FLYSKY MKT
William
Aug 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
Sep 07, 2019, 06:16 AM
Someone asked about backwards compatibility it will be capable with older technology flysky, fr sky, and spectrum with a different module but non of the telemetry will work kind of a bummer so I’m keeping my FS-i10 for older FlySky 2A receivers and will only purchase when avail 3A receivers for my nicer more expensive planes I’m guessing here but from the looks of their pricing on the 4 channel land receivers they are going to be about $30-40 for them which will confirm my keeping all my old flysky stuff for cheaper flying
Last edited by Jacksmobile; Sep 07, 2019 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply