Aug 20, 2019, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Electric planes are prefectly viable, but not if you think about them as converted "conventional" planes. They have to be completely designed for electric to take advantage of the benefits og the lighter motors, and without the weight of all the auxiliary stuff that conventional planes carry around. Fuel tanks, while integrated in the structure of most planes, still weigh a ton because of sealant, lots of pumps and pipes and valves. Hydraulic systems will be a thing of the past on these. You would not believe how much all the AC and DC generators weigh on airplanes. I worked as an aircraft technician for twenty years.

We will probably see short range regional routes with electric planes soon.
Copper isn't exactly light either. Systems still need actuation and the weight of electric vs hydraulic is probably pretty close. It will be interesting to see how this all works out. My bet is that there will need to be MAJOR advances in energy storage before it becomes viable.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 03:12 PM
I disagree. For example, electric systems don't need generators on electric planes. That's a HUGE weight loss. It becomes even bigger when you start using the batteries to power control surfaces instead of a hydraulic system that also needs pumps, as well as everything else in the plane directly from the batteries instead of via auxiliary systems.

700 hp Electric motors can weig not much more than 50 kg, yes that incldes the copper in the motor. Power cables can even be integrated in the structure. It's almost ridiculous how much weight electric power saves in total compared to conventional systems. The battery is heavy off course, but with all the weight saved it's not as bad as it might seem. Wiring will probably be much simpler than conventional piping and wiring.

Regional flights don't require seven hours of endurance. They need 90 minutes plus safety.
Last edited by Lynxman; Aug 20, 2019 at 03:20 PM.
Aug 21, 2019, 02:29 PM
The Truth About Electric Planes (full size)...

The Truth About Electric Planes (11 min 48 sec)
Aug 21, 2019, 04:21 PM
"I will return" Federico
I hope Alice succeeds. The world as we know it is rapidly changing, in no small part due to our stubborn dependence on fossil fuels. We have to adapt quickly to the new reality.
Aug 21, 2019, 04:31 PM
The local university (which is also an airline pilot training college) Will get two Pipistrels soon. I look forward to seeing them doing circuits over here.
Aug 24, 2019, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Drink flat beer and save the planet.

A sacrifice worth for a good cause...

Aug 24, 2019, 02:37 PM
32.4316° N, 80.6698° W
18,000 + hours driving airliners and while I am all for electric full scale aircraft...it's just too early. Battery technology is just not here. Way to heavy for power the available. Got to start somewhere though. Anxiously awaiting a breakthrough.
Aug 24, 2019, 02:44 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Tony Stark made that breakthrough in a cave! With a box of scraps!
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Aug 24, 2019, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
It's just like manufacturing. Right now we in the western world outsource an insane amount of our pollution to China. They don't care, though, as they're happy to use our money to gain control of the world economies so they can dominate everything by 2050.

Andy
Wow. I know this is off topic, but this is what I keep saying after I took two trips to China to manufacturing plants. The pollution there is insane. We act like we don't pollute, but in reality we do by buying their cheap goods. It's easy to ignore when the pollution is not in your face. And I have to say I'm as guilty as the rest. Always looking for the best deal without regard to where it comes from.
Aug 25, 2019, 07:15 PM
The truth is that virtually everything we want has to pay in some way or another. A said by B Matthews even hydro electric, solar, wind or other "green" power costs something. We all also forget that by the end of this century our population is likely to he close to 50% greater and all of those people will want energy too.

I know I'm part of the problem just like the rest of us but unless we "discover" cold fusion or similar I think we are just running in circles. I can't let it depress me but it isn't that cheerful either.

Quick Reply