Aug 19, 2019, 11:16 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
Discussion

NorCal F3F coastal race Sunday 8/25

Going to try Thornton Beach again hoping for the same great turnout we had last month. I will check weather forecast on Wednesday and double check on Friday to decide go/no go and meeting time. I will be trying out the cd hat for the first time. Be gentle.

https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1641

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 09:43 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
Forecast not lookin' too good for Sunday. Light SSW until afternoon and then a little better after 2:00 but not much, and kinda late. Only four signed up at this point as well. I'll make the final call on Friday.

Bill
Aug 23, 2019, 07:23 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
Forecast has improved! I think we can race, BUT we only have five pilots signed up at the moment. We could probably race with six? More would be better! I'll make the call to race/not race tomorrow before noon to see if we can entice a few more folks to come out to the nice, cool coast.

Make up date is the following SATURDAY on Labor Day Weekend. That could be a problem for folks. We shall see!

Bill
Aug 23, 2019, 07:40 PM
Is Jeff around?
Aug 24, 2019, 08:44 AM
Master of the Wind
I got a packed weekend and could go either way on this one.
Aug 24, 2019, 01:04 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy
I got a packed weekend and could go either way on this one.
I understand about weekend time crunches, but we would sure like to see you there again. It will be a lateish start if that helps!

Bill
Aug 24, 2019, 01:40 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
So we are going to give it a shot. We had a couple of more sign ups and the forecast says a LITTLE bit more breeze. A bit more fog as well. Pilots meeting at 12:30 so meet at the stables at 11:30 to take gear down the hill.

Bill
Aug 24, 2019, 02:58 PM
Expert Rekitter
I’m gonna try to make it!
Aug 24, 2019, 07:09 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
Excellent!
Aug 25, 2019, 09:13 PM
Montara, CA
Thread OP
Well, we pulled it off. We had one drop out and two no shows, but we ran 12 rounds in very light conditions with five pilots. I had fun!

See if this works.

https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1641

Bill
Aug 25, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thank you Bill. You had a pretty sketchy “iffy” weather forecast to deal with and on race day 3 less pilots than expected, all during your first CD-ship. Not easy peasy at all yet you did amazing. Thanks again, really, it was most certainly a very enjoyable day

We were lucky to get the pilots that did show… i mean there was some thick fog everywhere while pulling into parking spot at road level, yet somehow down lower at the lip where we fly visibility and moisture was not an impeding issue.

The sun tried to come out a few times but the upper fog layers would not allow it… a bit of cycling air and it never really got going by the afternoon and more fog was rolling in as we wrapped up by a little after 4pm.

Everyone flew great.. especially given how light the conditions were. I mean consider having to launch your own glider due to lack of help, super difficult to get a good start, tight narrow lift band, cross wind and so on, conditions where cutting really hurts. Everybody managed really well.

Huge congrats to Scott, flew consistent and fast every round. Only pilot whose throw out round score was up in the 900+ range. Pretty incredible.

Congrats to Bill for his first podium finish today. Flew that Pike Precision like he stole it.

Mike is getting along well with his new-to-him Ceres that he only maiden yesterday. He flew it well even though he got more than his fair share of drab air today.

Konrad flew consistent lines. Only attended a few F3F races and already getting his Strega on step throughout the course. It was fantastic to see him start anticipating turns with a pre-roll and quick exit.

Looking forward to next month's race. Who knows maybe we'll get a chance to try the "other" coastal site
Aug 25, 2019, 10:50 PM
Expert Rekitter
Hey Guys, just got Home at a little after 8!
Had a lot of fun today, Everyone pitched in where needed to make it a fun competition.
Thanks to everyone and the great Cd with the courage to put this on!
There were a couple of times today where the winds dropped to 6-7 mph at launch time! But it
was just enough to get going, but that was it, don't even want to get out of the groove because it looked like you put your flaps all the way down!
On the Ceres, gonna do a few adjustments, and see what my empty weight is and check my cg again and see how she goes then. She flew pretty good today and showed promise when conditions were good, but not a light air ship by any means! Time to finish repairs on my Secret!
Till next time, Mike R
Aug 26, 2019, 09:23 AM
Thanks Bill. Glad we didnít get skunked with your first CD experience. Always tough to make the final call, these one could have gone either way. Got the scores posted fast, too! Great job.

A pretty challenging day. Variable light wind, mostly under 10mph. At least we didnít have to worry about ballast decisions.

Congrats to Mehrdad for the win! Great flying.
Same to Bill, great flying. Super fun to watch your runs and notice how much you continue to improve.

(Seems like all our events are not linked to the right season seriesí. Any ideas? I will take a look at it. I think we have (only) 3 events so far ...)

Next race is Sunday 9/29.! If Mehrdad is available he will be our CD. I agree about the Ďotherí coastal site.

*** Americaís biggest F3F race since 2017 is coming right up. The USA F3F team selection is being held at Grass Mountain. It is an open event, a great way to learn about slope racing, and always a lot of fun. Come and fly, or come and help run the event. Course workers are always needed, and get the best seats in the house.

scott

Quick Reply