Aug 19, 2019, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
Question

Simulating Welded metal

Hey Guys I have a question for the experts of details on scale boats. How do you simulate welds? I have tried to find information but haven't found much. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 11:30 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Don't recall how they do it, but the armor modelers know how.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:38 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
I use a soldering iron with adjustable temperature control and a pointed tip (use a old tip that you won't be soldering with again). Set the temperature just hot enough to start melting the plastic. Then I poke along the joint where I want the "stacked coins" look of a weld. It's a little tedious put when done right it looks pretty good. If you need a "thicker" weld, glue a string of small diameter plastic along the joint using a plastic solvent type glue (not CA) then poke your "stacked coins" into that string of plastic. Of course, if your real world welds look like a bird flew overhead and took a dump then just close your eyes and start randomly poking at the model, Lol.
I haven't tried simulating welds on wood models so I have no suggestions for that.
Aug 20, 2019, 05:57 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I used silk thread which I rolled between my fingers and a dab of epoxy-then laid in place on the model and pulled taught for the weld lines on my sub...
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Aug 20, 2019, 09:38 AM
Hopefully, CaptDH will chime in, as he has it down great!

Unfortunately, I cannot find the post (with photo's) that he did back when he was doing one of his log tug builds.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:01 AM
You can try it with decals. Archer Transfer offers surface decals (rivets, weld beads, treadplate) in different scales for different uses.
Here is a link to Naval decals: https://www.archertransfers.com/Surf...ailsNaval.html

And here is the overview page: https://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html

Mikro-Mark offers a similar product with everything on one sheet in only two scales (HO, O): https://www.micromark.com/HO-scale-d...urface-details

Archer has a larger variety.
Regards, Volker
Aug 20, 2019, 10:18 AM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
I have had great luck with the gel superglue and a steady hand. Scroll down the threads for some of the examples..

DH

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ug-build/page4
Last edited by CaptDH; Aug 20, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 01:25 PM
I bumped into this tutorial a little while ago, it looks tedious but the results are very nice.

HOW TO: Epoxy Weld Beads for 1/35 Tanks (Single Bevel Groove Welds) (11 min 25 sec)
Aug 20, 2019, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Wow thanks Fellas lots of Great Info! CaptDH I was waiting for you to Chime in, your Jet Skiff welds are awesome.
Aug 21, 2019, 06:40 AM
Lot of water; some gets thin
My first attempt on FERRIBY. Used stretchable bead thread. Not that great...looks too regular. Will try some of the other ideas in here next time.
Aug 21, 2019, 10:14 AM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
The process really depends on the scale you are building. The gel superglue beads works for 1/12 and similar but if you are doing a 1:96 warship, that weld bead would be as big as your head. Keep that in mind...For small stuff, a scribe tool into the hull actually works pretty well..

DH
Aug 23, 2019, 01:11 PM

Simulated welds

Good advise CaptDH ...

Simulated welds and rivet seams may be created by laying down a coat of epoxy or glue between two strips of tape, then pull the tape at just the right time.

Leaves a raised surface.

Distance between the strips of tape can establish the weld width.

A little weathering and it can look OK.
Aug 25, 2019, 09:51 AM
One of the easiest ways I have found to simulate welded seams is to use stainless steel (uncoated) fishing leader glued to the surface before coating with a coat of thinned out epoxy resin.

You can buy the leader in different pound test which also related to the size and scale of the weld being produced. When you take your time with the process it looks exactly like the “roll of nickels” that you are trying to duplicate.

Quick Reply