Aug 19, 2019, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

advice needed for my next drone

Hello - I am new here and also new to drones - im over 50 years old and live near the beach - I recently purchased a toy drone Eachine Drone x Pro - im finding that flying it in zero wind seems to be fun and im getting better at it, however it doesn't fly well in the wind so im considering buying one that does so I can go up higher and explore without walking across a field to retrieve it after the wind takes over. I don't have an endless amount of money to spend so im basically seeking advice on pricing as well as make and model - the lower the price the better obviously although I realize that with lower price usually comes lower quality - any suggestions and helpful hints would be greatly appreciated !!
thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 02:52 PM
You'll get faster and better responses by moving your inquiry to the Drones section here, rather than in this forum which is for helicopters.. totally different animals than drones.
Aug 19, 2019, 08:24 PM
I fly helis and drones and my best and biggest drone that flys decent in moderately light wind is the blade scimitar 170, it'll still cost about $200 (its brushless)but you can't get much in the way of drones for alot less than that to handle any wind at all. I started with a blade nano quad which I got new for $42 including tax at the local hobby store that had a sale. Like the blade nano heli its a leaf in the wind tho. You may want to give helis a try too if you really like drones. They fly pretty much the same and helis its easier to tell which way its pointing.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Aug 19, 2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: heli add
Aug 23, 2019, 03:47 PM
Are you looking for a sport type of quad or do you want a camera.

If you want a sport quad you can buy a Bugs 3 that has a ton of technology and brushless motors. That’s what I fly when I am wanting to have blast and not risk the camera on one of my more expensive drones.

They can be had for $70 with everything you need. There is one in the classified on this forum for $50 shipped. It’s my favorite drone to rip around having fun with no real financial risk.
Aug 23, 2019, 10:37 PM
The bugs3 is definitely cheaper but it has a built in battery so if it goes dead you throw away the drone. The Scimitar has generic removable battery and the camera (I don't use it tho) and the cheap bugs3 don't and it also looks lighter than the scimitar for less wind resistance (but longer flights). If you are just looking for cheap then it would be hard to beat the bugs. But I have doubts about the quality of a $60 170mm size brushless drone.
Aug 24, 2019, 01:44 AM
Edit - error.
Last edited by Cyclone 7; Aug 24, 2019 at 02:04 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerex
The bugs3 is definitely cheaper but it has a built in battery so if it goes dead you throw away the drone. The Scimitar has generic removable battery and the camera (I don't use it tho) and the cheap bugs3 don't and it also looks lighter than the scimitar for less wind resistance (but longer flights). If you are just looking for cheap then it would be hard to beat the bugs. But I have doubts about the quality of a $60 170mm size brushless drone.
The Bugs 3 has a removable battery.

Went out to the garage and pulled the battery so you could see the empty slot.
gas station near me open 24 hours
Aug 30, 2019, 09:45 PM
Thats good that the battery is removable. The specs said it was a "built in" battery. My dad has one of those super cheap quads and the battery can't be removed. So that was my main complaint about the bugs3. Give it a try, its not carbon fiber but impossible to beat the price.

Quick Reply