Aug 19, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Prodrone, a new design with old features...

Hi guys

Hiroki Ito won the 2019 F3C WC, he used a new Prodrone PDH-02C helicopter.

https://www.prodrone.com/products/pdh-02c/

It seem a Hirobo Freya (carbon version) in many ways, a very (supposedly) oudated design, with belcranks, motor in low position, so maybe it's not so outdated in the right hands....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 05:43 PM
F3C guys usually don't fly the latest 3D helis because their needs are different than what a 3D pilot wants. Look at any heli designed for F3C even a modern one and you're going to think to yourself "wow that looks so outdated". But that's the sort of heli that works well for F3C it needs to be stable and track straight not do piroflips. Bellcranks allow you to have perfect swashplate link geometry no matter the dimensions of the servos which is probably why this machine has them. The tall head and low motor are probably to keep the CG well below the rotor disk and you'll also notice the servos are low on the airframe likely for the same reason.

EDIT: The CF airframe inside the fuse is bonded together without screws, it sounds like if you damage it you have to replace the whole thing. Definitely not a machine meant for 3D. Though in F3C and industrial heli drones this wouldn't be as much of an issue because how they fly helicopters makes crashes less probable.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Aug 19, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:11 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Looks like it weighs a ton, which of course is advantageous for F3C because it makes it less 'fidgety' and less effected by wind...

Each to their own of course and if it's what floats your boat then go for it, but i personally think F3C is further removed from 'normal' flying than hardcore 3D is. Who in the real world spends a large proportion of their time doing precision hovering ? These are helis for a tiny niche market.
Aug 20, 2019, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Looks like it weighs a ton, which of course is advantageous for F3C because it makes it less 'fidgety' and less effected by wind...

Each to their own of course and if it's what floats your boat then go for it, but i personally think F3C is further removed from 'normal' flying than hardcore 3D is. Who in the real world spends a large proportion of their time doing precision hovering ? These are helis for a tiny niche market.
That heli is designed for F3C and industrial drone platforms and the real money for them will be the industrial side of things similarly to how Futaba's hobby side is very small compared to their industrial side. The fuse is fiberglass and doesn't weigh all that much. The frame is apparently bonded together without metal fasteners which also removes a lot of weight.

Aug 21, 2019, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer

A typical F3C machine weight is about 5500 - 6000 grs... seems F3C is popular in Japan, it's no only about hovering manouvers also there is many big air moves...
A few pilots, like Nick Maxwell and Curtis Youngblood fly smack 3d and f3C... but yes I think the market is really small...
Changing the subject, do you like his new TDR?
Aug 21, 2019, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
... double post.. I'm sorry
Aug 25, 2019, 02:42 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRC2
Changing the subject, do you like his new TDR?
Yes I like it a lot. Itís amazing how a relatively low power setup can fly so well. I guess thatís what lightweight does for you
Aug 29, 2019, 07:36 PM
rc user
seeing how the word "drone" still has a negative connotation, they should have done more research before coming up with that name, especially for a helicopter.

but it guess it does fit according to the definition of a UAV.

Quick Reply