Sep 17, 2019, 09:51 PM
Thanks Hansen. However it works out is fine with me. I too was struggling with getting internet back up and running after moving and missed the ordering part of the thread. Lost a 20 yr old email addy too... not fun...

Cliff
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 11:29 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiatt
Thanks Hansen. However it works out is fine with me. I too was struggling with getting internet back up and running after moving and missed the ordering part of the thread. Lost a 20 yr old email addy too... not fun...

Cliff
I will keep every one posted as soon as I hear back from Paola.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:25 PM
AMA 46133

following up......

I heard from Paola today. Apparently she is having difficulty shipping. So we wait. I did ask her if she can squeeze in the 11th book for Cliff.

"Dear Hansen
sorry for my delay in replying….!!!
I have some problems because it' s more difficult and expensive to ship the books!!!

Please leave me some more day to find the best way to send books to you

Thanks a lot
Paola"
Sep 18, 2019, 03:57 PM
Hmmm
Sep 24, 2019, 12:37 AM
Did this die completely?
Sep 24, 2019, 01:22 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
Did this die completely?
I have not heard from Paola since the last email.
Sep 24, 2019, 04:33 AM
I also have not heard from Paola since the 12th, I sent full payment on the 16th and this cleared through PayPal almost immediately, I have yet to receive any confirmation of this from Paola.
I have sent a follow up email inquiry today requesting information.

Not worried, just concerned that communication could be better.

Just had a reply from Paola, an apology for the delay and that she is now ready to ship the book to me.
Last edited by ChiliP; Sep 24, 2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: update
Sep 24, 2019, 08:39 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Thread OP
Hi,
I reminded Paola today about my order and she now told the shipping cost for me and the Paypal e-mail I should use. I just payed for the book (20 Euro) and shipment in my case (30 Euro) and the book is on the way now to me.

/Bo
Sep 24, 2019, 08:53 AM
DavidsPlanes
Not to interfere with things but don’t you find it a bit outrageous that it costs €30 to ship a small parcel within Europe?!

I’m not sure what Paola is up to but the Italian postage system shouldn’t be (isn’t?) charging that. Last I checked Zone 2 shipments (North America among others) for a single book were less than that.

It seems to me that this editorial is not up to the task of finding an adequate international shipping solution.

David
Sep 24, 2019, 09:43 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Thread OP
Sure it is not cheap to have a padded envelope with a book sent between countries here in Europe. But I ordered earlier in summer some books from some online book stores in my country and it was very cheap shipping cost, even one shippment contained several books and it was same price as other shipments containing only one book. I think the online bookstores has good deals for shiping cost with some post services.
I had several padded envelopes sent to a friend this summer in my country and it was not cheap at all. It was not heavy. I do not know why it seems to have been more expensive then I remember it was in the past.

/Bo
Sep 24, 2019, 11:15 AM
Shipping from several European countries is quite expensive, several times I have been on the point of placing an order for small parts, probably less than 200g in weight from both Italy and Spain on both occasions the shipping was in excess of 20 Euro, I cancelled the orders.
The book is for my father and is the only reason that I would pay 25Eu for delivery.
Sep 24, 2019, 12:09 PM
AMA 46133

Finally........

....I have heard from Paola. Shipping has increased substantially. However she is now packing up 11 books so we can all share shipping.

Landed in Hawaii is now 305 Euros total. Detail attached from her email. She is charging 3.5% Paypal fee. I can understand that.

In light of the costs increase may I have another round of confirmation via PM before I pull the trigger and order.

Here is a list of those committed earlier. Please reconfirm with me.

Me, Hansen 1X, confirmed
Mr. McGlue, Robert 2X, confirmed
RC Yeager, Lou 1X, confirmed
KDunlap, Ken 1X, confirmed
Quietflyer, Min 1X, confirmed
doxilia, David 1X, confirmed
flywilly57, Will 2X, confirmed
Lowrider, Scott 1X, confirmed
Cliff Hiatt 1X, confirmed
iModel, Rick, 1X, confirmed
Yak13, Ed, 2X confirmed

Here is the email from Paola:

"Dear Hansen
now I can tell you the exact way to have books…… it’s very difficult to find correct informations!!!!

I can ship you 11 books in 1 box
the shipping cost is €. 75,00
each book weigh kg. 1,350

you have to pay:

€. 20,00 for each book
€. 75,00 for shipping

3,5% the cost of PayPal

TOTAL AMOUNT €. 305,00

I’m ready to ship the books……!!!

Ciao
Paola

Cordiali saluti
Segreteria FIAM®
Paola Battaini"
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Sep 28, 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Sep 24, 2019, 12:35 PM
So around $32 usd plus your shipping cost to us?
Sep 24, 2019, 01:16 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_McGlue
So around $32 usd plus your shipping cost to us?
Yeah I figured 305 Euros equals $338.55 USD. That's $30.78 per book to Hawaii. Add shipping from Hawaii hopefully will be $8 per book via priority mail if the book fit into a flat rate envelope. please let me know if that is ok with you.
Sep 24, 2019, 03:02 PM
DavidsPlanes
Hansen,

Your exchange rate once PayPal gets involved will likely be less favourable. However, sticking to Euros - €27.73/book (€305/11) works for me.

I would ask what shipment service she’ll use. Postal or otherwise. Also, whether those €75 constitutes an air shipment service or whether the parcel would be moving by boat. If the latter, you can expect the shipment to literally take months to first cross the Atlantic and then the Pacific (though USPS would likely move a small parcel like that via air once on US soil).

I only mention this because I've shipped to both Australia and Europe (Spain) via boat and the former took 3 months and latter close to 2 months. In both cases we decided that the shipping economies were worth the long wait ( as the kits I shipped were not getting built in the immediate future).

Thanks, David

Edit:

I did a little further digging to confirm what the Italian postal system would charge (unclear whether this is the method being used by Paola and the FIAM):

The web page below furnishes the lowest cost (standard international) rates for international shipment:

https://www.poste.it/prodotti/poste-...-standard.html

Maximum weight limit for this service is 20 kg which is above the weight of the 11 books in question on the thread which should, packaging included, be in the ~15 to 17 kg ballpark. Shipping time is stated at 10-25 working days varying on destination and excludes any time to clear foreign (US) customs. A shipping time of a month or so seems reasonable and acceptable to me.

I have attached the pricing lists for the two different services - standard (low cost) and global (high cost). These documents are new and were not available online last week or so when I last checked shipping costs in my earlier post on the matter. The costs have changed (increased as would be expected) and as can be seen and typical with Italian bureaucratic entities, the format and consistency of documents between the two services is entirely lacking leaving one to wonder whether they are different groups who manage and produce these documents per their individual directives. In any event, this rhetoric is boring but nonetheless points out just how inefficient and lacking in cohesion Italian government systems can be. That said, I give them kudos for at least providing the information online for others to be able to assess costs for shipment of parcels and documents.

Standard (low cost) international shipping: The US and Canada are in Zone 4. Cost of a 15 kg parcel is €75 per Paola's quote so this is likely the means by which she plans to ship.

Global (faster but more expensive) international shipping: Curiously Canada and the US are in different zones. With costs to Zone 1 (Canada) being €83 (for a 15 kg max weight) and to Zone 3 (US) being €104.
Last edited by doxilia; Sep 24, 2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply