Aug 18, 2019, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ARF Plywood Specs

Does anyone know what type of plywood modern laser cut ARFs use for fuselage construction? I have two Hangar 9 airplanes and it almost looks like a balsa plywood.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 11:58 AM
B for Bruce
It's often called "Liteply". It's generally made from poplar.
Aug 22, 2019, 06:29 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
My Club Prez asked me to inspect his broken Arf to estimate a 'repair'.. It's a P-47, and I'm not sure of the manufacturer, not that it matters.

The ply sits in the middle of the thicknesses I'm familiar with. I realize it's metric, but I can't find any in the sizes required..

The breaks are really clean, and I 'll glue as much back together as I can, adding glass cloth tiny strips and resin as a back-up.

I have to say that there are voids in some of the broken lite ply that look as though glue was never applied between the layers (Plies ? )
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Aug 24, 2019, 01:54 AM
Earl, have you considered the flat pre-made carbon fiber strips instead of fiberglass? It might help align the broken pieces. I'm thinking 1.5 mm thick by about mm wide (1/4" wide x 1/1" thick). A piece on each side of a broken part would add little weight but make it very stout. I'm not a big fan of CA but if you sand the CF it responds very well to CA.

I lived in an area of boomer thermals and equally strong sink. I had an ARF smite the runway from about 4 feet up at wide open throttle when I flew through sink- no input on the sticks; just strong sink. It hit flat on the gear but damaged one main mount and attached ribs; looked a lot like your repair. The CF made the repair go easy. Just a thought. . .
Aug 25, 2019, 07:53 AM
I don't think the plywood in ARF's is the liteply that we use here in the states, at least the ones that I worked on. Must be a species that grows in mainland China less the glue.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:27 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
Earl, have you considered the flat pre-made carbon fiber strips instead of fiberglass? It might help align the broken pieces. I'm thinking 1.5 mm thick by about mm wide (1/4" wide x 1/1" thick). A piece on each side of a broken part would add little weight but make it very stout. I'm not a big fan of CA but if you sand the CF it responds very well to CA.

I lived in an area of boomer thermals and equally strong sink. I had an ARF smite the runway from about 4 feet up at wide open throttle when I flew through sink- no input on the sticks; just strong sink. It hit flat on the gear but damaged one main mount and attached ribs; looked a lot like your repair. The CF made the repair go easy. Just a thought. . .
He smites the ground quite often...I did an ARF Taylorcraft a couple of years back... I used almost all his pieces in that one. I'll try the Carbon Fiber on this. On the Taylorcraft, the wood was a direct match for 'our' liteply… This P-47, not so much..... it's thinner.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Aug 25, 2019, 05:50 PM
Smiting the rock is what kept Moses out of the Promised Land. He should have just spoken, like he was told.

Andy
Sep 15, 2019, 04:02 PM
Having repaired a few ARF'S you find the "ply"used leaves something to be desired.
After repairing my sons landing gear on his 3D ARF three times we went to 1/8in carbon fiber sheet and no more problem after that.
Sometime after that repair I found out I could get 3 and 5mm cabinet ply from a friend that owns a cabinet/woodworking shop.
The ply is much better than the china ply and at least equal to or better than our USA liteply plus a FRACTION of the cost buying it at your local HS.
Only negative on my part is its only available in 60x60in sheets (3mm) and 96x48in in 5mm but its not to difficult to hack up to size on the table saw.

Rick

Quick Reply