Aug 19, 2019, 12:07 AM
Seriously?
Thread OP
Looks really nice and you are not giving yourself enough credit, that is beautiful.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:19 AM
Sharing lunch with Jonesy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
Size 15 or 16 coin rings are not a problem. Actually if you're working with a Morgan sized coin big rings are easier.
I can make the mandrel, I can make a tool for the lathe to push the coin. A lot faster than doing it by hand, but probably considered cheating.

My fear is after going and doing it would it be like my watches, seldom worn because I'd find them an irritant. After so many years of not wearing such things, they drive you nuts when you do. Hence I only wear pop's watch on his birthday. It's a nice watch. A Swiss Army watch made from titanium, still like new. (Like my Fossil Klingon watch.)
Latest blog entry: Jonesy's mausoleum
Aug 19, 2019, 12:38 AM
The easy way...
Making a Coin Ring the Machinist Way (DIY) (5 min 49 sec)
Aug 19, 2019, 12:48 AM
Seriously?
Thread OP
Yeah, quarters are easy, try that with a silver dollar.
Aug 19, 2019, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Yeah, quarters are easy, try that with a silver dollar.
I have the means to make an expanding mandrel but you can actually buy one.

https://contenti.com/economy-ring-stretcher-reducer
Aug 19, 2019, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Looks really nice and you are not giving yourself enough credit, that is beautiful.
Thank you. It was a bit of a mind bender and when it was slowly turning into a bangle instead of a ring I started getting worried, so I had to turn up a die to squeeze it down (many times) which really worked well to even out the wall thickness.

I've got pictures of most of the stages but here're a few more. The missus was laughing at me at the end of day one because it was fairly chunky looking (rustic?) but after I got my head around getting the metal to flow in the right directions it started to take shape.

I lost 0.08g (~$5aud) in the process. No cutting drilling, filing or abrasive polishing, just annealing, spot melting, hammering and burnishing.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:21 AM
Official Old Git!
Interesting thread!
Aug 19, 2019, 04:49 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Haven't tried with coins, but here are my four surviving ring experiments. The denim, brass, and steel have been worn continuously since last Septemberish. The twine is a bit younger.

The mahogany one slowly broke apart and finally shattered last weekend. I also did one in walnut and basswood that looked pretty neat, but it only lasted a few weeks.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Aug 19, 2019, 04:58 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Oh, and another brass one that got turned into a car key.

Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Aug 19, 2019, 08:55 AM
Seriously?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
I have the means to make an expanding mandrel but you can actually buy one.

https://contenti.com/economy-ring-stretcher-reducer
Yes, I have a cheap one from Ebay. The reducer wheel is total crap but the stretcher works really well.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
Oh, and another brass one that got turned into a car key.

That's interesting.

Your car key has seen some work, mine's worn to rolling undulations as well rather than distinct plateaus. I guess as long as the key and barrel wear out at the same rate it's all good???
Aug 23, 2019, 01:22 PM
Seriously?
Thread OP
After a few that didn't turn out so well, this one is looking better. A learning curve for sure.

Quick Reply