Feb 21, 2005, 02:59 PM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP

Channel 5 8:30pm 21/2/05: Massive Engines - 'Planes' with Chris Barrie

Just thought you'd like to know that the last part of the everything-engine-related show with Chris Barrie is on 'Planes'. It's on in half an hour (8:30pm) on Channel 5 (terrestrial).

Feb 21, 2005, 03:23 PM
Ascended Master
"Channel 5" here is KTLA..
What network is your channel 5 on?
Feb 21, 2005, 03:30 PM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Ummm I don't know .... it's just what's picked up with a normal aerial (ie. it's not cable or satellite).
Feb 21, 2005, 03:57 PM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Hmmm, interesting! It was only half an hour but nevertheless it was interesting. They didn't mention the A380 though which I was surprised about - especially since the title sequence had the word AIRLINERS in big bold letters at the end ..... Oh well!

They had a little model turbine for demonstration purposes too! No shots of any models though ....

If anyone is interested I could capture the model turbine part of it ......
Feb 21, 2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah,. I sw it whilst boiling the rice..not overly inspiring.

Why do they alswyas assume we are all so dumb, and go for the gosh wow this engine will generate 50 tons of thrust blah blah.

Clarkson is beter at it than the compere.
Feb 21, 2005, 04:14 PM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Mmm true. I guess if they made it too complex, very few people (comparitavely) would watch/would want to watch it - doing it this way and dumbing it down makes it more appealing to the masses, and it gives "them" an insight into things they wouldn't normally have known about. Also, how much detail can you expect in a half-hour programme? If it was on in the early hours of the morning then I'd expect it would be much more in depth - then, people who were genuinely interested could record it, whilst the rest of the early/late evening 'channel hoppers' were snugly tucked up in bed!
Feb 21, 2005, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
about - especially since the title sequence had the word AIRLINERS in big bold letters at the end
I would imagine they had the B-777 engines (especially the GE flavor) as they are the biggest turbofans out there. If memory serves, the 777 uses engines up to 115K pounds thrust while the 380 is in the 70-85K range.

The 380 doesn’t need huge engines cause it uses 4 of them. Everything is relative I guess as 85K TIMES FOUR is a lot of thrust .

Kurt
Feb 21, 2005, 04:28 PM
Ascended Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnut
I would imagine they had the B-777 engines (especially the GE flavor) as they are the biggest turbofans out there. If memory serves, the 777 uses engines up to 115K pounds thrust while the 380 is in the 70-85K range.

The 380 doesn’t need huge engines cause it uses 4 of them. Everything is relative I guess as 85K TIMES FOUR is a lot of thrust .

Kurt
When we put the first RB-211-524 BRTs on the Tristar, doing a low-weight max. angle climb meant holding on to something... it would go up about 30°!!!!
Impressive to be in, and see from the outside!
These were the first 50K motors..
On a 300K plane, that's a nifty thrust to weight ratio..
Feb 21, 2005, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
When we put the first RB-211-524 BRTs on the Tristar, doing a low-weight max. angle climb meant holding on to something... it would go up about 30°!!!!
Impressive to be in, and see from the outside!
These were the first 50K motors..
On a 300K plane, that's a nifty thrust to weight ratio..
Did a lot of redeyes on those Tristars. Somehow always ended up in Atlanta. Imagine that .

Aviation Week had a good article years ago when the 767 (I think) came out. They noted that in the right conditions, i.e., empty, a 767 had the same climb to 30,000 ft time as an F-4 Phantom.

Were the tris as grossly overpowered as twins?

Kurt
Last edited by Fishnut; Feb 21, 2005 at 08:18 PM.
Feb 21, 2005, 08:31 PM
Ascended Master
I believe the absolute max permissible takeoff weight was 425,000 #.
Max landing weight was a lot less..
This led to some "interesting" tests at EAFB, determining the flight characteristics at max. gross..
Obiously we weren't going to fill it full of gas, using lots of lead instead to get to the load, but this still put us waaaaaaaaay over the limit for each successive landing..
Even when landed as softly as possible, the landing gear could take just so much..
Taxiing past the flight line at EAFB after 3 or 4 way overweight landings we heard a large BANG!.. and the guys working on the F4s went berserk waving at us.. not congratulating the "Tristar, bulkwark of American aerospace superiority.... "
We stopped, and got out and saw this....
Fortunately the Flight Test shop had provided a complete set of axles, brakes, wheels and tires so we weren't there blocking the taxiway too long...
Feb 22, 2005, 12:56 PM
I watched University Challenge instead - I'd already sat through the episode of Pumping Engines. Too much Chris Barrie at one time isn't good for you.
Feb 22, 2005, 03:51 PM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Lol! Having seen him in Red Dwarf and the Brittas Empire, I've kinda got used to 'im ... and it's fun seeing him as a presenter instead of an actor for once ...

Shame you watched the not-so-good one but missed the better one ... oh well!
Feb 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
I'm quite sure I'll catch it on one of the many repeats due in the next few weeks on Sky. I couldn't record it unfortunately as I'd been beaten to it and the VCR was recording another program.

Brittas? Didn't think much of that. I knew people like him and can't find them funny.

Red Dwarf was magic - still is - and I enjoy the repeats of that. Barrie is really very good in it.

Quick Reply