Sep 05, 2019, 04:39 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Finished and ready to fly again

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2019, 07:43 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Wow, she's a beauty! Nice job on the coating, finish and details!
Sep 05, 2019, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Wow, she's a beauty! Nice job on the coating, finish and details!
Thanks BB, Just got a vinyl cutting machine so had to try it out

Lockley
Sep 05, 2019, 01:21 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
I can see where that would be REAL useful!!

Before I got back into RC I used to work for a manufacturer of safety covers. They had a nice production floor filled with machines. But my favorite was the 40 ft long x 10 ft wide CNC fabric cutting machine that could cut foam, vinyl, PVC up to 1/32" thk. If it was dense enough, the vacuum table could hold it down. And if it wasn't, you used a sheet of thin paper on top of your work piece to "clamp" it in place while it cut.

I could have used that for cutting out foamie parts or wing formers out of balsa.

And to add insult to injury, they had an industrial sized vacuum former and a stack of scrap I could use when I wanted. I could have made replacement canopies or cowls. The list goes on.

I sometimes lament leaving the place.

Then I remember the reasons I left,................and then I don't feel so bad.
Sep 05, 2019, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Because I hated the cutting out of the foam parts, (love building but hated cutting out the parts .. AND .. the edges were never square slots too loose or too tight etc) so I made myself a CNC router

Started with a Anycubic Mega and advanced to a prusa i3 mk3 ... love the idea of 3D printing the fuselage BUT at this stage it is maybe a bit heavy and brittle but still like it and am doing some of the parts

Rolled wings are fun to make but a bit time consuming (and hey .. at my age, I dont have lots of that left ) so I have decided to make a hot wire CNC cutter to do this just waiting for a few more of the parts to arrive before I start building

A vinyl cutter is a nice addition for doing the fancy bits, decals and the like and at this price (remember this is AU$ .. about US$ 238) who wouldn't buy one https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B075L5R...292_TE_3p_dp_1

AND .. a simple vacuum former would be a nice addition

I am also looking at getting a better PC dedicated to do CAD work as mine is a little slow and occasionally, siezes up on me, or worse ... blue screen

Ahh .. retirement .. what else can I make ... buy .. ? .. not sure what they will do with all this sh!7 when I pass on to the model room in the sky

Lockey

PS... sorry about the deviation from the thread .. just waffling .. and waiting for Bob to chirp in
Last edited by Lockey; Sep 05, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sep 05, 2019, 10:01 PM
Retired CAD guy
I chirped in on your g-mail ;>}

Sorry , I havent had time to do much as I got a bunch of orders out today.

Re vinyl cutter:
I HAVE enough "stuff" to build a 5W Laser diode engraving machine.
Got the aluminum frame stuff and Controller board, belts wheels n stuff.

I wonder if I could make it so I could toss on a Swivel knife and use it to cut vinyl also ?

Other wanderings:

I ALSO upgraded my Network recently and I'm up to 15g ( so they say) now !
It is faster and my pads work better and my other net gears are working glitch free now too !
I never would have guessed that net speed would make those kind of glitchy things go away !
Last edited by birdofplay; Sep 05, 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Sep 05, 2019, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I chirped in on g-mail ;>}

Sorry ,I havent had time to do much as I got a bunch of orders out toady.

I HAVE enough "stuff" to build a 5W Laser diode engraving machine.
Got the aluminum frame stuff and Controller board, belts wheels n stuff.

I wonder if I could make it so I could toss on a Swivel knife and use it to cut vinyl also ?
OOOOOHHHHH a laser engraver .. YES .. YES

Lockey
Today, 04:55 AM
Thread OP
Flew the Venum again today, flying really nice now .. I upped the aileron throws a bit but it wouldn't hurt to up it even a little more

I think the undercarriage needs to be a bit stronger

Lockey

Venum x Flying nice (2 min 59 sec)
Today, 07:47 AM
When cows fly!
Turned out nice! Great flight!

Quick Reply